• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Mutator] KF Community Beta

scary ghost

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 13, 2010
California
A side project that spawned from Jester's thread about the current state balance:
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=52331

The premise is to implement the ideas thrown around so here it is. This mutator needs Marco's Server Stats mutator to work so make sure you have that properly configured. The mutator will load in tweaked values to the default game.

Wave 5 tweaks

Support

• Has damage bonus for dual handcannons, up to 60% at level 6
Commando

• Has damage bonus for dual 9mms, up to 60% at level 6
  • Received recoil bonus for dual 9mms, up to 40% at level 6
Specimens

• Added configuration option to alter the hp of the specimens. Can have their hp scale to 6 players worth of hp. Damage dealt also scales accordingly
Bug Fixes

• Fixed Dual HC ammo bug. Picking up a 2nd HC will add the ammo of the 2nd HC to your total ammo count, not replace it
  • Fixed mutator changes sticking, even after the mutator is removed
  • Fixed chainsaw ammo count not showing up on the trader menu and the auto fill costs.
  • Fixed players not seeing the updated trader list on dedicated servers
  • Fixed Beta Dual HC weight not being correctly handled. Old code had hard coded checks for the normal Deagle
  • Fixed selling Beta Dual HC and getting back normal HC
Previous changes can be viewed on the wiki:
https://github.com/scaryghost/KFCommBeta/wiki

The original perks will show up in the perk selection list as "1017[PerkName]" while the tweaked ones show up as "KFCBVet[PerkName]".

Known bugs:
https://github.com/scaryghost/KFCommBeta/wiki/Known-Bugs

Source code and README+Install instructions
https://github.com/scaryghost/KFCommBeta

Download link:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16251678/KFCommBeta-Wave-005-rev2.zip

Last edited:
A side project that spawned from Jester's thread about the current state balance:
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=52331[url]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=52331[/URL]

The premise is to implement the ideas thrown around so here it is. This mutator needs Marco's Server Stats mutator to work so make sure you have that properly configured. The actual mutator doesn't do anything for now, it's just a place holder for when more complex ideas are tossed around. For this initial release, the .u file just has all of the perks updated to the 1017 balance patch and two tweaked perks to try. Please note that this is an ongoing project and I won't be able to get to every suggestion immediately.

Wave 1 tweaks:

• Removed support's frag bonuses
  • Changed zerker +40% resistance to only to melee damage.
The original perks will show up in the perk selection list as "1017[PerkName]" while the tweaked ones show up as "KFCBVet[PerkName]".

Source code and README+Install instructions
https://github.com/scaryghost/KFCommBeta[url]https://github.com/scaryghost/KFCommBeta[/URL]

Download link:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16251678/KFCommBeta-Wave-001.zip[url]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16251678/KFCommBeta-Wave-001.zip[/URL]

The _[RG]_ server has everything set up for it. We set it up tonight, and set min perk level at 6. Server IP is 99.132.155.212:7807. PM me for password to server.

Upvote 0
Tested this out a little last night with a friend. The Beta Support class had trouble soloing FPs, but with a friend who was also support using an alt fire at the end timed with the regular ending alt fire, the 1 nade, alt hunting, 2 nades, alt hunting (plus the extra hunting from a friend) worked.

Also, with the damage resistance to bloat bile gone one bloat puke took 60 armor off a level 6 zerker, and dropped the health down to 80.

Upvote 0
Also, with the damage resistance to bloat bile gone one bloat puke took 60 armor off a level 6 zerker, and dropped the health down to 80.

That sounds like it means the natural 80% perk bonus of bloat resistance was also removed along with the damage reduciton for the Zerker.

On the whole though, nice work Scary, very nice work :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That sounds like it means the natural 80% perk bonus of bloat resistance was also removed along with the damage reduciton for the Zerker.

On the whole though, nice work Scary, very nice work :)

Yeah, if you take a direct puke as a zerker in it without armor you're either instantly dead or under 30hp so it worked. Also, we tested the FPs more with a pair of supports and if done right 2 supports can kill a FP with only using 2 grenades (one each) 1 clip aa12, 3 pump shotgun shots and 4 alt fires hunting shotgun. Kinda confusing unless you see it lol. One support had pump shotgun and hunting, other had aa12 / hunting.

The order of the shots/nades was one pump to FPs head, 1 nade (from each at feet of FP) 1 alt fire each with hunting shotgun, clip aa12 from aa12 support, 2 pump shots from pump support, and then an alt or 2 to finish. You can solo them but it takes a ton of ammo. I solo'd one in Testmap with 1 pump to head, 1 nade at feet, 1 alt hsg, 2 nades at chest, 3 pump shots to body, then alt to finish.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just ran a few tests myself on Testmap6p on HoE with level 6 perks. Gotta admit, although I haven't played it in a team capacity, it is interesting to see how a class fares against a specimen with ideal conditions. If it proves challenging to winl in ideal conditions then in a regular wave the effect is considerably increased :)

Berserker

On the bloat issue its hard to say, cause the bloats damage very much depends on how close you are to the bloat when you take damage.

I ran right up to the bloat a few times as a Berserker and genereally with 1 solid tag bloat bile totally stripped my armour and took me down to about 35 health. When I did the same as a Sharpshooter I got instant fragged in 1, but due to the huge varience in results I got its hard to conclude whether or not bloat bile resistance is working as it should.

Might need you to double check that the Berserkers regular bloat bile resistance is being applied scary. If it is, then we might significantly increase the resistance to bloat bile to say 95% resistance or something.

Support

Taking the grenades off the Support doesn't effect him really when soloing a fleshpound. The problem comes in that he can't do it repeatedly, he can only do it once, possibly twice at most.

Perhaps that is good enough, and it certainly limits the support from falling back on his grenades too often.

Interesting to say the least :)

I'm laso gonna mimic this and hijack the KF beta section of the forum and put findings in there. Its a very good tool :)

Further Beta Suggestions: -
- Make the Berserker more resistant to bloats
- Give the Sharpshooter a very slight increase in headshot damage with the Xbow vs. Fleshpounds (so he can kill it in 3 shots)

Upvote 0
Haven't had the time lately to really test the changes in a full game. FSUBoo and I have talked about getting a gull 6 man game going so we need more people!!

I'm laso gonna mimic this and hijack the KF beta section of the forum and put findings in there. Its a very good tool :)

Further Beta Suggestions: -
- Make the Berserker more resistant to bloats
- Give the Sharpshooter a very slight increase in headshot damage with the Xbow vs. Fleshpounds (so he can kill it in 3 shots)

So perhaps a small 25% resistance to bile?

I have thought about xbow since beta and one thing I wanted to do was to up its power but remove penetration. No clean look at that fp, then you've wasted a bolt on a clot or whatever was blocking your aim.

Upvote 0
I've tried asking TWI if we can use the KF Beta part of the forum so word is easier to spread... as of yet no word... hopefully they are just busy :)

In regards to the bloat bile the Berserker (as I'm sure you know :)) has a 40% damage reduction thena seperate 80% resistance to bloat bile acid.

Did you remove the Berserkers 40% damage resistance against ranged attacks and leave his seperate bloat bile resistance bonus? Or did you remove his resistance against bloat bile completely?

If you did leave him with his seperate resistance to bloat bile, then yeah it does need increasing, cause his armour and health go down the crapper if he gets hit by a blaot at the moment.. and that kinda defeats the point of being a Berserker :)

Interesting idea with the Sharpshooter... although given the cost of the Xbox bolts that might prove too punishing to make the weapon worthwile. Plus we will lose those awesome moments where we 1 pop 2 Scrakes. Its worth a try, but I'd be concerned the Sharpie would be raping Fleshpounds alone again with a massive damage increase :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Haven't had the time lately to really test the changes in a full game. FSUBoo and I have talked about getting a gull 6 man game going so we need more people!!

So perhaps a small 25% resistance to bile?

I have thought about xbow since beta and one thing I wanted to do was to up its power but remove penetration. No clean look at that fp, then you've wasted a bolt on a clot or whatever was blocking your aim.
maybe lower penetration, but not entirely remove? On one hand, it seems a little ridiculous to mow down a whole congo line in one bolt, but on the other, the ammo is so expensive and the game is so unpredictable sometimes (clot decides to jump last second in front of the scrake, ect), that while a forum pro could probably work better with no penetration, if you want to have it be at least plausible as a community beta it would probably be best to have at least some penetration.

Upvote 0
Did you remove the Berserkers 40% damage resistance against ranged attacks and leave his seperate bloat bile resistance bonus? Or did you remove his resistance against bloat bile completely?

If you did leave him with his seperate resistance to bloat bile, then yeah it does need increasing, cause his armour and health go down the crapper if he gets hit by a blaot at the moment.. and that kinda defeats the point of being a Berserker :)

Interesting idea with the Sharpshooter... although given the cost of the Xbox bolts that might prove too punishing to make the weapon worthwile. Plus we will lose those awesome moments where we 1 pop 2 Scrakes. Its worth a try, but I'd be concerned the Sharpie would be raping Fleshpounds alone again with a massive damage increase :)

Yeah, I removed bile resistance completely and bloats hurt now. I removed it because zerkers can decap bloat before it pukes but if they fail, they get puked on. It was intended to be more of a risk vs. reward thing.

I was playing last night and Husks are probably far worse IMO. No +40% resistance means that burn damage does a real number on you.

maybe lower penetration, but not entirely remove? On one hand, it seems a little ridiculous to mow down a whole congo line in one bolt, but on the other, the ammo is so expensive and the game is so unpredictable sometimes (clot decides to jump last second in front of the scrake, ect), that while a forum pro could probably work better with no penetration, if you want to have it be at least plausible as a community beta it would probably be best to have at least some penetration.

Well, community beta in the sense that I would implement whatever ideas people had.

-----

I'll add in some bile resistance this weekend as well some crossbow tinkering. I saw an idea for increasing the m14 hs multiplier from 2.25 to 2.3 so I'll do that as well.

Upvote 0
Ive been following the thread a bit, and just have to ask - is there a easy way to fix teh m14's ironsights? can they be adjusted at all? Also, when you talk about penetration are u talkin number of penetrations or percent damage lost during penetration. personally i think it should be that latter.

Don't know anything about iron sights code but I doubt it can be fixed with a mutator. Regarding penetration, we can try both, see which one, or neither, is preferred.

Upvote 0
This is actually a rather good idea o_O, shame tho that my ping on the servers is rather unbearable... I could try this on my own server tho if I have the time.

What comes to the bloat bile resistance, I think you should keep it the way it is, otherwise on HoE youd be pretty much dead if a bloat hit you as berserker and they are rather common after all.

Any chance you could try giving chainsaw fuel similar to the way its with Flamer atm? Ofc not decreasing as quickly but you get the idea. That damned weapon has always been either too weak or too powerful so giving it fuel could solve a lot of problems.

Upvote 0
This is actually a rather good idea o_O, shame tho that my ping on the servers is rather unbearable... I could try this on my own server tho if I have the time.

What comes to the bloat bile resistance, I think you should keep it the way it is, otherwise on HoE youd be pretty much dead if a bloat hit you as berserker and they are rather common after all.

Any chance you could try giving chainsaw fuel similar to the way its with Flamer atm? Ofc not decreasing as quickly but you get the idea. That damned weapon has always been either too weak or too powerful so giving it fuel could solve a lot of problems.

Well, it's just to see how the perk would change. Personally I don't find the removal a big of a deal if you're kiting, but camping with a team, then yeah, it can be killer.

I can mod the chainsaw with fuel and then restore it to its Beta damage.

Upvote 0