• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Mutator] Custom Character Enabler

hmmm that's quite confusing then, because Marco's version doesn't require the media files listed to be added?

From experience on the hunting rifle, I had skins=blah blah, well, because I didn't have the #exec file in, the texture package wasn't being loaded when the weapon was selected.
Regardless whether I had it in the server packages, because that would have still pushed it to the client but it would have never been loaded.

The most efficient and fault free way of doing it is making sure they have the exec commands at the start of their file. This isn't just for servers as this is for solo play too.
It just loads into memory the required media and once loaded, is always available.

and because the mod file requires these files, it automatically calls/pushes to the client when they join the server.

It just saves people who are unsure of what to put in there, listing every single package to be on the safe side and then clients having to download files that may or may not be used.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
putting it at the top

i.e. in the case of the stig mod:

Code:
class KFStig extends PlayerRecordClass;

#exec OBJ LOAD FILE=..\animations\stigtestA.ukx
#exec OBJ LOAD FILE=..\textures\stigtest.utx 
#exec OBJ LOAD FILE=..\staticmeshes\stig_sm.usx

Personally, I think this is something everyone that wants to get into coding, should know and if not, should be taught!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Flux - I tested your mod and it works fairly well as long as the skins/models have upl files.

For those models/skins that replace existing UPL files, I rename and edited it to another name and it works. EG: Mechacarnivore.upl and inside the UPL file, the skin name is also Mechacarnivore.

If the inside of the UPL file still references the skin it was supposed to replace, even though the filename is different, then it will not change skin properly, even though you can select it in the character selection screen.

EG: DJ_Scully_New.upl, but inside the file it references DJ_Scully.

Marco's mod does the same.

Lastly, I cannot enable U file type skins in your mod even though I have it listed in the ini file:

CharacterName=KFStig
AddPackageName=KFStig

Marco's mod works in this case without the AddPackageName reference.

Do I need to reference the full name like this:

CharacterName=KFStig
AddPackageName=KFStigMod

instead to make it work?!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Do I need to reference the full name like this:

CharacterName=KFStig
AddPackageName=KFStigMod

instead to make it work?!
Yes this is how you do it to get it working with my system. Marco's works from server sending the characters it has in it's custom list to the clients (you). My system adds them to a custom list (CharacterName) and says it's allowed to be used.

Upvote 0
so if you want to share a character, the client will have to download it from a 3rd party site, instead of getting it from the server?
Well basically i'll see if I can explain it:
• Server must have the files installed for all characters with the CharacterMod files aswel so it works online.
• Client can see characters online without doing anything but download from server.
• If client wants to use the character(s) on the server, they MUST have the files themselves (which includes all resource files and a .upl file so they can select the character - if you have a custom race for the character, make sure they have the Mod aswel if it's inside that of course).

If you're still a little confused, be more specific if you can so I can try make it clearer for you. The reason for it being made this way was to allow clans/communitys to have specific characters for specific people etc. I personally like this cause you get to see who likes the server enough to download these characters. This to me shows that they enjoy it that much and makes me personally feel good let alone any other admin.

:D Many thx :D

Great work buddy, i will try it right away. Thx again for the your time spent on this modification. ^^
No problem :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Flux, this sounds like it will work perfectly for one of my current ideas! cant wait to test it.
It works really well on my server. I have three sets of custom characters for my custom server:
1.) Public where all people can download off of my website and use freely on my server.
2.) Seems I have a VIP system made, VIP members also have their seperate special characters that only they can use.
3.) Seems I also have a member system, they also get their own characters.

Upvote 0
What if I wanted to make certain characters for say an admin? Like use the skin I have for my zerker steampunk. To be set as my own personal player and no one else can use it. Will I be able to do it with this?
What you do is, install the character to the server and set it up so it knows that the character is usable. Once done, give the person you want the character files and he can select the character in the menu only.

Upvote 0