• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Final Release [Mutator] ColoredChat (white-listed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducky

Super Moderator
May 22, 2011
Netherlands
ColoredChat (white-listed) R.I.P.

Revision 42 - Released October 22, 2012

Deprecated as of November 21, 2012 (has been integrated in the RO2 code-base)

Introduction

This mutator brings colored chat into Red orchestra 2. Something we all wished for.

Installation

Client side:

The mutator itself does not need to be installed at client some, however the color preferences are saved at client side. A client side configuration tool has been created to simplify configuring your own preferences. The setup of this tool can be downloaded from this location:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54368035/ColoredChat/SetupTool/ColoredChatSetup.msi

Server side:

Like all mutators it needs to be installed at server side, though the actual functionality will run at client side. The mutator will not work if installed at client side.

1. Download and extract the mutator package
  2. Copy the ColoredChat.u, IColoredChat.u and MutatorEx.u files to your ROGame\CookedPCServer folder on your RO2 server
  3. Copy the DefaultColoredChat.ini and ROColoredChat.ini files to your ROGame\Config folder on your RO2 server
  4. Modify your servers command line by adding ?Mutator=ColoredChat.ColoredChat to the command line (behind the map name).
    Example:
    Code:
    start .\Binaries\win32\ROGame TE-Spartanovka?MinPlayers=0?MaxPlayers=32?Mutator=ColoredChat.ColoredChat -seekfreeloadingserver
    If you have more than one active mutator on your server, then use ?Mutator=ColoredChat.ColoredChat,Mutator2.Mutator2.
    Example:
    Code:
    start .\Binaries\win32\ROGame TE-Spartanovka?MinPlayers=0?MaxPlayers=32?Mutator=BotDetonator.BotDetonator,ColoredChat.ColoredChat,ReservedSlots.ReservedSlots -seekfreeloadingserver
    The order of the mutators behind ?Mutator= doesn't really matter.

Configuration

The mutator does not require any configuration at server side.

Personalizing your color setup

It's possible for each client to make your own color preferences. Those preferences will stay on the client and will be used on each server which runs this mutator.
You can personalize the colors by opening <My Documents>\My Games\RedOrchestra2\ROGame\Config\ROColoredChat.ini with a regular text editor (e.g. Notepad).

Setting up your own colors

The easiest way to set up your personal colors is by using the client side configuration tool. The download link can be found above in the Cliend side installation procedure.

The colors are defined in RGB values (Red, Green, Blue) and thy all have the syntax of:
(B=<value>,G=<value>,R=<value>,A=<value>)
Where:
B = Blue (value range 0-255)
G = Green (value range 0-255)
R = Red (value range 0-255)
A = This value is ignored and will always default back to 255
The range of each individual color is 0 to 255, where 0 is black and 255 is bright.

These colors can be changed for the next message categories:

• DefaultChatColor
    This is the default color. It will be the color used for a message that does not match with any of the below categories or that doesn't have a color definition (will be explained later on).
    Default=(B=190,G=200,R=210,A=255)
  • AxisChatColor
    This is the color used for public chat messages from the axis team.
    Default=(B=113,G=126,R=72,A=255)
  • AlliesChatColor
    This is the color used for public chat messages from the allies team.
    Default=(B=0,G=60,R=200,A=255)
  • AxisTeamChatColor
    This is the color used for team chat messages for the axis team.
    Default=(B=192,G=128,R=255,A=255)
  • AlliesTeamChatColor
    This is the color used for team chat messages for the allies team.
  • AxisSquadChatColor
    This is the color used for squad chat messages for the axis team.
    Default=(B=255,G=128,R=128,A=255)
  • AlliesSquadChatColor
    This is the color used for squad chat messages for the allies team.
    Default=(B=255,G=128,R=128,A=255)
  • AxisSquadLeaderChatColor
    This is the color used for messages coming from your squad leader (if you are in the axis team). This is also the color used for messages coming from your tank commander.
    Default=(B=128,G=255,R=255,A=255)
  • AlliesSquadLeaderChatColor
    This is the color used for messages coming from your squad leader (if you are in the allies team). This is also the color used for messages coming from your tank commander.
    Default=(B=128,G=255,R=255,A=255)
  • AxisTeamLeaderChatColor
    This is the color used for messages coming from your commander (if you are in the axis team).
    Default=(B=128,G=255,R=128,A=255)
  • AlliesTeamLeaderChatColor
    This is the color used for messages coming from your commander (if you are in the allies team).
    Default=(B=128,G=255,R=128,A=255)
  • AxisOrderColor New since rev. 42!
    This is the color used for orders for the Axis team.
  • AlliesOrderColorNew since ref. 42!
    This is the color used for orders for the Axis team.
An other setting that can be personalized is the font size. The font size can be scaled per message category and can have a scale value in the range of 0.5 to 2.0, where 0.5 is smallest and 2.0 is biggest. A value of 1.0 is the default font size.

The font size can be scaled for the next message categories:

• DefaultChatFontSCaler
    This is the default font size scale. It will be the scale used for a message that does not match with any of the below categories or that doesn't have a color/scale definition (will be explained later on).
    Default=1.0
  • ChatFontSCaler
    This is the font size scale for public chat messages.
    Default=1.0
  • TeamChatFontSCaler
    This is the font size scale for team chat messages.
    Default=1.0
  • SquadChatFontSCaler
    This is the font size scale for squad chat messages.
    Default=1.0
  • TeamLeaderChatFontSCaler
    This is the font size scale for messages coming from a commander.
    Default=1.0
  • SquadLeaderChatFontSCaler
    This is the font size scale for messages coming from a squad leader.
    Default=1.0
  • OrderFontSCaler New since rev. 42!
    This is the font size scale for orders.
    Default=1.0

Personalizing server and admin messages

Both server and admin messages can be personalized to make the important messages stand out more to the public. This can be done by placing a color definition at the head of the message. Such a color definition can have one of the next syntaxes:
{Color=<red>,<green>,<blue>[,<scale>}
{Color=<preset>[,<scale>]}
The first definition allows you to set the RGB values (range 0-255) and optionally to set the font size scale (range 0.5-2.0) for the message. The second definition allows you to use a preset color and optionally the font size scale (range 0.5-2.0). The next preset colors are defined:

• Red
    Value=(R=255,G=128,B=128,A=255)
  • Green
    Value=(R=128,G=255,B=128,A=255)
  • Blue
    Value=(R=0,G=128,B=204,A=255)
  • Yellow
    Value=(R=255,G=255,B=128,A=255)
  • Pink
    Value=(R=255,G=128,B=192,A=255)
  • Violet
    Value=(R=128,G=128,B=255,A=255)
  • Gray
    Value=(R=192,G=192,B=192,A=255)
  • White
    Value=(R=210,G=210,B=210,A=255)
  • Admin
    This is the default color used for admin messages.
    Value=(R=255,G=0,B=50,A=255)
  • Axis
    This is the default color for axis public chat messages.
    Value=(R=72,G=126,B=113,A=255)
  • Allies
    This is the default color for allies public chat messages.
    Value=(R=200,G=60,B=0,A=255)
    This is the default color.
    Value=(R=210,G=200,B=190,A=255)
Here a view examples on how to use color definitions within server and admin messages.
{Color=100,255,50,1.5} Welcome on our clan server
{Color=200,100,150} Please stay civil at all times
{Color=Admin,2.0} Stop the spawn killing!
If you are an in-game admin, then you can type the above messages directly from the in-game public chat console. If you are a server admin, then you can enter them directly in the Chat console of the web-admin. If you want use them as server messages, then you can directly enter them in Advertisement Messages field in the web-admin.

Mutators can also use the color definitions, but they must make sure that the colored chat mutator is active or else the color definition will end up as plain text on the chat hud of all clients. The ColoredChat mutator has two static interface functions that make it easier to use colored mutator messages. These functions are:

• GetTextAttr(Color col, optional float scaler=-1.f)
  • GetPresetTextAttr(CCPreset preset, optional float scaler=-1.f)
They can be called from out of any part of a mutator.

Playing with colors

It's possible to play around with the colors to find your perfect color. You can do this by typing the next command from out of the in-game console. This is the syntax for the command:
Mutate CC Test {Color=<red>,<green>,<blue>[,<scale>]} <message>
or:
Mutate CC Test {Color=<preset>[,<scale>]} <message>
Where:

• red
    The red color value as described in Personalizing server and admin messages.
  • green
    The green color value as described in Personalizing server and admin messages.
  • blue
    The blue color value as described in Personalizing server and admin messages.
  • preset
    The preset color as described in Personalizing server and admin messages.
  • scale
    The font size scale described in Personalizing server and admin messages.
    The message that you want to be shown win the specified color and scale.
The message will only be presented on your client and not on the client of any other player currently on the server.

Download

The mutator:

The download link has been removed, because this mutator is now integrated in the RO2 code base.

The Client side configuration tool:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54368035/ColoredChat/SetupTool/ColoredChatSetup.msi

Credits to:
Mike_Nomad for testing this mutator on all his servers

Source code:
The source code of this mutator can be downloaded from:
svn://212.83.88.75/ColoredChat/trunk/
An SVN client is required to download the sources (for example TortoiseSVN).
The files are password protected. If you want access to the sources, then please PM me and you will receive a reply with sign-in details.

Last edited:
Installing NOW, thanks!

EDIT: I mean, when the download link becomes available :p

The download link is not yet their, because the mutator is currently being rolled out one by one on the RGN servers. The custom map RGN server did run it today without any problems. Tomorrow the others will get the mutator too. If still no problems, then the download will go public.

Upvote 0
Hi mate,

i couldn't get this one to work with the DynamicMapRotator mutator that I use.

Am trying to use it like this

?minplayers=16?maxplayers=58?mutator=DynamicMapRotator.DynamicMapRotator?mutator=ColoredChat.ColoredChat

I also noticed that unlike the DynamicMapRotator, this mutator actually appears in the web admin as a selectable mutator.

Upvote 0
Hi mate,

i couldn't get this one to work with the DynamicMapRotator mutator that I use.

Am trying to use it like this

?minplayers=16?maxplayers=58?mutator=DynamicMapRotator.DynamicMapRotator?mutator=ColoredChat.ColoredChat

I also noticed that unlike the DynamicMapRotator, this mutator actually appears in the web admin as a selectable mutator.

Your string is incorrect, use this:

?minplayers=16?maxplayers=58
?mutator=ColoredChat.ColoredChat,
DynamicMapRotator.DynamicMapRotator

Upvote 0
Of course !

Thanks for that.

Any clues on why the DynamicMapMutator won't appear in the webadmin as a tickable item in the map change area yet the Colour changer will ?

You can make it selectable too by adding the next block to the RODynamicMapRotator.ini file (the one in ROGame\Config on your server).

Code:
[DynamicMapRotator ROUIDataProvider_Mutator]
ClassName=DynamicMapRotator.DynamicMapRotator
GroupNames(0)=MapRotation
FriendlyName=DynamicMapRotator
Description=Gives a more dynamic behavior to the map rotation
SupportedGameTypes(0)=ROGameInfoTerritories
SupportedGameTypes(1)=ROGameInfoFirefight
SupportedGameTypes(2)=ROGameInfoCountdown

That [DynamicMapRotator ROUIDataProvider_Mutator] block might already be there in that file. If it is, then just replace it with the above content.

Don't forget to restart your server after changing it.

Ducky's gonna do that this morning.

Lol... man you know me too well. hahahaha

Upvote 0
A client side configuration tool has been created and can be downloaded from the next link:
[url]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54368035/ColoredChat/SetupTool/ColoredChatSetup.msi[/URL]

This tool will make it a lot easier to setup your own preferences.

This is the main screen:
MainScreen.png

If you click on one of those colored icons, then you will get a color pick window like this one:
ColorPickScreen.png

It's also possible to quickly copy colors by drag and dropping them from one to an other color icon.

Upvote 0
A client side configuration tool has been created and can be downloaded from the next link:
[url]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54368035/ColoredChat/SetupTool/ColoredChatSetup.msi[/URL]

I had it working but for other reasons I had to delete my config files and stuff and revalidate RO2 with Steam. I've uninstalled and reinstalled and each time I run it I get "Error while reading from:"

If I click on apply I get instead "Error while writing to:" Nothing follows the colon in either case. I think I'm missing some prerequisite file or something. Thanks.

Upvote 0
I actually thought that up about 5 minutes ago before I saw your reply LOL. All fixed now. Superb and useful mod. Thanks for doing this. One other tweak I'd like to see: When someone kills you or vice versa it would be nice to always have enemies in Red and friendlies in Green or something like that. Very confusing to new players and I still wonder myself if I've been Team-Killed a lot of the time! Oh, wait, I am still new at this game after a year. :D

Upvote 0
As of today a newer (white-listed) version is available. Details and download link can be found in the OP.

Changes (Rev. 42):

• The settings validation function wasn't called. This allowed players to use ridiculous font scaling and with that they could even hide all server messages.
    (Reported by -=THOR=-)
  • Team orders weren't displayed in color.
  • Moved all the colored chat related code to the widget. Before it was in the HUD.
  • Added interface IColoredChat

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.