• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Mutator] Client-Side Hit Detection

a1eat0r

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 26, 2013
This mutator changes the way hit detection works, making weapons check for hits on clients instead of the server. Consequently, zeds' head hitboxes will always be exactly where their heads are on a player's screen. As in singleplayer mode, head hitboxes will also be smaller than their server-side approximation, so scoring headshots may be more difficult.

Server vs. Client Comparison
Spoiler!

Modified weapons
  • All commando weapons.
  • All hitscan sharpshooter weapons.
  • All mediguns, including healing projectiles.
  • Syringe.

Download
Mutator
Source

Compatibility
  • Incompatible with mutators that replace zeds, e.g. Super Zombies.
  • Incompatible with mutators that replace weapons or perks.
  • Incompatible with any testmap.

Last edited:
The bad thing about this is cheats can be used by the client same as the Zero ping mutator for UT.

If you did not add the proper checks that is but refer to this from the BeyondUnreal wiki

UT ZP "massmurder" cheat

This exploit was created based on the zero-ping InstaGib mod for UT. The ZP creators intended to eliminate ping problems in InstaGib games by moving hit detection from the server to the clients. Basically when the player fires, his client does not send the information "I fired" to the server. Instead it performs the firing logic and hit detection locally and tells the server "I hit player X", which causes that player to die. The massmurder cheat in essence told the server "I hit all players in view at once" - and the server believed it.
This is a good example why the server should never trust the client. ZP lacked even the simplest validations, like how quickly the shots were fired. Ideally a ZP-like mod should not only validate shot intervals, but also check hit plausibility, i.e. perform a server-side hit test, possibly taking ping into account.

Upvote 0
The bad thing about this is cheats can be used by the client same as the Zero ping mutator for UT.

If you did not add the proper checks that is but refer to this from the BeyondUnreal wiki

I just wanted to write about Zero Ping Mutator, but saw your post. In my opinion, it is not possible to achieve both ping-free and cheat-free features. And if we need to choose, I'm voting for cheat-free.

Upvote 0
If you did not add the proper checks
I'll see about adding some checks after I replace the rest of the weapons.

In my opinion, it is not possible to achieve both ping-free and cheat-free features. And if we need to choose, I'm voting for cheat-free.
As if not using client-side hit detection makes a game cheat-proof. How relevant is the Zero Ping example anyway, considering KF is protected by the VAC? To give another example, there is Antilag mutator for RO2 that does the same thing, and it was whitelisted and then integrated into the game. Aside from lag compensation, changing hit detection in KF also fixes notoriously broken head hitboxes. If you ask me, improved gameplay quality far outweighs the remote possibility of somebody using a cheat tailored to this mutator, which isn't even whitelisted.

Upvote 0
I'll see about adding some checks after I replace the rest of the weapons.

As if not using client-side hit detection makes a game cheat-proof. How relevant is the Zero Ping example anyway, considering KF is protected by the VAC? To give another example, there is Antilag mutator for RO2 that does the same thing, and it was whitelisted and then integrated into the game. Aside from lag compensation, changing hit detection in KF also fixes notoriously broken head hitboxes. If you ask me, improved gameplay quality far outweighs the remote possibility of somebody using a cheat tailored to this mutator, which isn't even whitelisted.

VAC is very ineffective on UE2, people can still use cheat loaders, aimbots, and other things.

Upvote 0
Can somebody explain me what is the point of this project? Thanks
This mutator changes the way hit detection works, making weapons check for hits on clients instead of the server. Consequently, zeds' head hitboxes will always be exactly where their heads are on a player's screen. As in singleplayer mode, head hitboxes will also be smaller than their server-side approximation, so scoring headshots may be more difficult.

Upvote 0
Sounds too good to be true. This should be part of the game since it was released!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sounds to good to be true. This should be part of the game since it was released!
There are good reasons why clients have been excluded from hit-detection, even inherently. It is not like the developers don't know about it, it is just the best way to go to keep such important logics server-side.
I'd prefer sth. like animation-replication to get the exact results, but this old engine does not support this.

Anyway, this is the only way to get the best results in compensating lag and having correct hitboxes.
I like to have this seperated from the game, so you can turn it on/off, as headshotting will be a pain. Furthermore, alongside with my monster scaler this is going to suprise/enrage every type of player. :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Updated. Hit detection has been changed for the following weapons and projectiles:
  • All hitscan weapons.
  • All melee weapons except the chainsaw.
  • Healing darts.
  • Syringe.

Other changes:
  • Made the head hitbox scale configurable.
  • The default head hitbox size for melee weapons is no longer larger by 25% compared with ranged weapons, like it is in the vanilla game.
  • Fixed a bug that causes a melee weapon to deal double damage to all zeds it hits in one swing when only one of the zeds is backstabbed.

Commands added temporarily for testing:
  • GodMode
  • Dosh
  • SetLevel [0-6]
  • SpawnZed [Name]

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hit detection for melee weapons, namely the part that checks if a zed is caught in the swing arc, isn't coded properly in the first place. Since I don't feel like re-writing and testing it, melee weapons have been removed.

Changes:

• Now the trader has only modified weapons (which are listed in the first post).
  • Removed cheat commands added previously.

Would be possible to add this to the game? I saw RO2 server has line:
bClientSideHitDetection
It's possible, but I really doubt there are any plans for that, and I wouldn't expect this mutator to be whitelisted.

Upvote 0