• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Mumble & Killing Floor

Private Who?

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 18, 2006
Texas
Mumble and Killing Floor do not work too well together, at least not for me. Whenever I have Mumble up and running, and then try to start Killing Floor, I get General Protection Fault errors. I shoulda copied one to post, and maybe I will later.
If I start Killing Floor and THEN get into our Mumble server, things work fine for a while but I did get a game-freeze crash after about 10 minutes of playing.
If I play KF and don't get into Mumble, things are just peachy.

I'm running a HD3870, Athlon X2 4000+, 2 gigs PC6400 ram and WinXP.

Just a word to the wise for any of you clanners who use Mumble (rather than TS or Vent).

BTW...RO and MN are unaffected by Mumble, so that's the good news.

or turn off nothing and use ventrilo like every non retarded person

In what manner exactly was that helpful? We moved to Mumble recently, wasn't my decision to make but I like it pretty good. We have the permissions linked to our forum user accounts, we can join Mumble channels directly from a link on our homepage, which also shows who is on and what channel they are in. And oh yeah....it's FREE to operate. And that's a big deal to us. We operate a LOT of servers, and our bandwidth bill is high enough as it is. So we're not retarded, thanks.

Thanks for the tip on turning off the overlay. I hadn't thought of that since, like I said, it works with RO and MN with the overlay left on.

Upvote 0
The developers have been made aware of this bug and are working on a resolution. In the meantime you do not *need* to disable the overlay. You can disable the overlay for the game specifically.
Quoted from [url]http://mumble.sourceforge.net/Mumbleguide#Overlay[/URL]
If the overlay is crashing your game, or causing a problem for it, you can disable it for that particular game by placing a blank file called "nooverlay" (without any file extension) in the same folder as the game executable.

To the people bashing Mumble: Having choices is a good thing. Simply put the newest version of Mumble offers a much better user management interface. It allows you to authenticate users to 3rd party tools such as phpBB forums. It also has in-game overlays and web interfaces. Ventrilo is a nice option, but is limited to 8 slots for personal use. Teamspeak 3 might be a nice option, when it is released. We are tired of waiting 3 years for something to finally hit beta. How long should we wait until a release? On top of that, how many of you have received support from either Ventrilo or Teamspeak? The Mumble staff has been superb at fixing bugs and consistent updates. They offer an official bug tracking database as well as live interaction on their IRC channel. The others, unless you are an authorized host, you are left to post to their forums. I think the animosity might be more about hosts not being able to receiving a lot profits from a great tool.

Xavier

Upvote 0
whats crooked about the concept of "i pay you money. you host my server"?

Well there is noting bad per se but if you host a server yourself within a datacenter you cant host over 8 ventrillo slots.

Its thesame as honor/ranked servers in other games, individual dedi server owners and small server hosting companies get shafted.

Upvote 0