• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Multiplayer Functionality changes I would like to see in RS2.

I have been a big fan of Tripwire's games and I enjoy playing all of them.
There is , however, some things I would like to see in Rising Storm 2 and they have to do with multiplayer functionality, not design changes or things of that nature.

1. Non-Confusing, New Player Friendly Forgiveness system.

Now I know this is a simple concept to grasp once you understand how it works, but for new people, it is like an alien language. There are many times I have killed someone on accident. (From a dead nade, they run in front of me as soon as I shoot while prone, etc.) They just don't understand that you can forgive people by typing 'np' ... I feel that if they die, some text should appear saying "[YOUR NAME] has killed you. Forgive them? Y/N." This would make it much easier for them to understand that this feature exists.

2. Vote Kicking Simplicity.

I have almost never seen a person vote kicked even when lots of people are trying, it's near impossible. There needs to be a prompt that immediately appears when someone has a vote against them, (Kind of like Left 4 Dead's vote system), That allows everyone to just push a yes or no option while in game without pausing and going through a menu. This will make it much easier to rid of trolls, music mic spammers, and other unfriendly players.
It should also take only about 20 votes from a 64 player game, because some people refuse to vote at all. If 20 people don't want you on the server, you're out. The ratio of votes should scale from there if there are less players.

3. Dedicated Server problems.

Too many times have I seen tons and tons of Red Orchestra 2 servers up, but barely any Rising Storm servers. Apparently, when I asked the server owners why, they replied with "Because Rising Storm sucks." Now I don't agree at all, but it seems like the players are more in control of the servers instead of having dedicated ones that people can use to play whatever game mode they want. Will it be the same for Rising Storm 2? Will there be no servers available for the game because "Rising Storm 2 sucks"?

These are the things that have been on my mind since the annoucement, and I would like to hear the forums opinion on my ideas. Thanks for reading, I know it was a bit long. :)

The squad selection screen is also in need of a dire overhaul.

Try asking someone in-game to switch to your squad. Everyone on public servers always asks how and whether its even possible.

Going with: [Select Squad] -> [Select Role]
would be a good start in the order of things.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The entire UI needs to be redesigned to be more user-friendly and less confusing. KF2 has a great UI and was huge leap beyond what KF1 has. It's the first game where TWI actually made what I consider to be a good UI because it's pleasing to the eye and is very simple and straight-forward.

RS2 could learn a lot here. I think RS2's team selection screen is most important here. Join Team > select squad > select role. Making each squad exactly the same size is important here. Don't separate squads by class. Keep the class limits per team, yes, but let squads mix and match whatever class the players within said squads decide to play as.

Upvote 0
The entire UI needs to be redesigned to be more user-friendly and less confusing. KF2 has a great UI and was huge leap beyond what KF1 has. It's the first game where TWI actually made what I consider to be a good UI because it's pleasing to the eye and is very simple and straight-forward.

RS2 could learn a lot here. I think RS2's team selection screen is most important here. Join Team > select squad > select role. Making each squad exactly the same size is important here. Don't separate squads by class. Keep the class limits per team, yes, but let squads mix and match whatever class the players within said squads decide to play as.

This is a big must. It really turned my friends off to the game, when introducing them to it, when we finally all got in the same full server, same team, and unable to squad up. Not being able to squad with friends in a game like this, is the death bed. If you want large groups of friends to play it, they have to be able to team up. UNFORTUNATELY, the way the game is made, when you setup the teams in a new map, it is very limiting, and without a complete overhaul of the engine, I'm not sure if it is possible.

Upvote 0
2. Vote Kicking Simplicity.

I have almost never seen a person vote kicked even when lots of people are trying, it's near impossible. There needs to be a prompt that immediately appears when someone has a vote against them, (Kind of like Left 4 Dead's vote system), That allows everyone to just push a yes or no option while in game without pausing and going through a menu. This will make it much easier to rid of trolls, music mic spammers, and other unfriendly players.
It should also take only about 20 votes from a 64 player game, because some people refuse to vote at all. If 20 people don't want you on the server, you're out. The ratio of votes should scale from there if there are less players.

The big problem I've seen with this in games that have this system is that people generally tend to hit "Yes", whether or not the person really deserves to be kicked. They either assume, "Oh, the vote kick must have started for a good reason, might as well hit yes." or they just want to get the notification off of their screen so they vote without caring. I've seen a lot of players kicked this way when they rubs a certain someone the wrong way, even though they've done nothing wrong. Plus, I'm against this because it adds more things to the HUD, which I really don't like in Red Orchestra games.

What I propose is keeping the system like it is in RO2 in that it notifies you of a vote kick being started in the text chat, but when you hit escape there's a pop-up immediately shown with the name of the player being voted against and a "Vote kick? Yes/No" button on it that also displays the number of votes. That way, you can vote to kick quickly and easily without having to spend 10 seconds looking through the player list to find the player and it doesn't run into the problems I brought up earlier.

Upvote 0