• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Multiplayer does not start

Echoman

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 16, 2008
Ok, I open the game and click on multiplayer, as I have done for 2 years. I get a message that says "Steam must be running and you must have an internet connection to play multiplayer". Steam is running and I have an internet connection. I have done resarts on steam and the game and also rebooted my comp. I have deleted the client registry blob with no good result.

If I am correct steam did an update in the past 2 days. Could it be that?
Any help is appreciated

Last edited:
Close steam
Go to your red orchestra system folder
delete steam.dll that file got outdated for you.

You can probably grab a new one from your main steam folder if you prefer.

If that doesnt work try uninstalling the sdk.

What do you mean grab one form the main steam folder? Where is the "main steam folder"? I see a steam.dll here C:\Program Files\Steam. Do I copy and paste that into my system folder? The steam.dll in my system is dated 3-10-08, the steam.dll in here C:\Program Files\Steam is dated 3-08-08. If the one I delete is newer than the one I replace it with, won't the replacement .dll be outdated also?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I turned on my PC for the first time in a couple of days and received a Steam update today as well. When I go into Red Orchestra and click on Multiplayer, I also have the same error message. "Steam must be running and you must have an internet connection to play multiplayer"

To fix, I went to my Steam directory
E:\Program Files\Steam
and made a copy of the Steam.dll file

I then copied the Steam.dll file into my Red Orchestra System folder:
E:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\red orchestra\System
and overwrote the one that was already there. This fixed the fault.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No need to copy steam.dll you can remove it, ro doesnt need it to run. (Or basically it will incase it doesnt find it in the system folder use the one in the main steam folder which should always be correct)
You only need steam.dll if you plan on using ucc for compiling or compressing decompressing. Thats why probably mostly server admins/ coders will get this issue.

@ echoman

Delete the one in your C:\Program files\steam\steamapps\common\red orchestra\system

Thats all you need for playing, if you need to compress maps for your server. Then you need to copy the steam.dll from C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.dll over to C:\Program files\steam\steamapps\common\red orchestra\system\Steam.dll
It is adviced to delete it straight after use though or keep in mind that the double connection failed bug/ inability to connect to the internet bug or plenty of others can occur.

Last edited:
Upvote 0