• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design multiplay vs solo issues

gunslingor

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 11, 2011
I am having a few problems with conflicting graphics of the map in difference scenarios.

Problem 1: I have a floor made of BSP in one room, it has a moving texture that's a slightly complicated; its made up of image sequences and a texture rotater. When I set the scale to 1 or 2 of this bsp, it looks great in the editor (like this for example: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198003642151/screenshot/506891210658939179?tab=public). But then when I play the map, the scale has shrunk down to milimeter range (like this: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198003642151/screenshot/506891210677422685?tab=public). When I go back to the editor and set the scale to like 1024 it looks great in game and of course terrible in the editor (black blob). This is getting a bit confusing, but the above happens in solo play. In multiplay, when the scale is set to 1024 in the editor and looks like a black blob in the editor, it looks like a black blob in game. I haven't tried it but I assume if I set it to 1 or 2, where it looks good in the editor, it will look good in the multiplay game...... but again, tiny tiny in solo.

Problem 2: certain projectors and emitters only work in solo mode. others, when played in multi mode, appear different to different players. Like me for example, I didn't see the projectors but the host did... its my map and I see the emitters in solo as well as the editor, just not when he hosts.

Problem 3: projector sizes different in game as opposed to the editor. Like I set my projector with clipping of static and bsp true and fill the room with it, making sure the edges of the projector are inside the walls and don't enter any other rooms. But then in game, when I stand in the adjacent rooms I can see the projectors projecting on me and other players but not the floor.

Another problem with this room that may be related: The BSP is just acting weird as hell. Like you can see the disco ball lights on the ceiling are rotating, and it works good now cause its all set just right. But if I go in and try to move the center of the texture it doesn't move as you would expect, it jumps way off so that it looks like the center is actual three or 4 rooms away. It looks fine now, it took lots of texture rotating and moving and designing everything else around it to get it right.

Rather than using textures for the disco lights I did try emitters, but again there's this issue with not seeing them in multi. Actually, thats why I made the lighted dance floor, because I could get the disco lights right on the floor and couldnt come close to getting them to line up with the top due to the jumping texture issue.

This has been a problem for many months now, just this one funky room really giving me a headache. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
I will when I find someone I know and trust and who can actually do something. Just plopping the map on here for any one to mess with always ends poorly, especially on such a delicate area...

Something is really wrong with the entire room, probably multiple things... I combined the disco and smoke rooms into one zone to fix a white out issue when looking thru the smoke emitter, that has helped. But just a second ago, I started the editor, opened the map and looked at the disco floor in live mode... it was tiny tiny again... but when I clicked on it, for just a second, it turned big again... this room is ****ed.

yeah, this is screwy.... I played with RNR. He hosted. while he was hosting, he saw the correct nice moving floor while I saw the ultra large black blob, projectors worked for him but not for me... then when we both tried to play solo, he saw the black blob and I see the correct moving floor.... I saw the projectors and so did he. I'll keep adding as a I go, but I'm thinking I may need to delete the room and start over... how can the floor of a normal room BSP sqauare be giving so many problems.

The smoke machine only works in solo mode, the sound of it doesnt even work in multi, like the emitter isnt there.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198003642151/screenshot/504639765397295610?tab=public
I made a test map and put the same textures on it. All the same problems are still present, so it has to be a problem with the textures. The Walls work perfectly fine, the ceiling works perfectly fine except that as you try to move the texture, it jumps around its impossible to possition and stretch right. the floor has the texture sizing problem where the scale appears different in different in editor vs. game... but apparently only for me and not for RnR.... since his results were opposite.

Last edited:
Upvote 0