• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
  • Weve updated the Tripwire Privacy Notice under our Policies to be clearer about our use of customer information to come in line with the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) rules that come into force today (25th May 2018). The following are highlights of our changes:

We've incorporated the relevant concepts from the GDPR including joining the EU and Swiss Privacy Shield framework. We've added explanations for why and how Tripwire processes customer data and the types of data that we process, as well as information about your data protection rights.

For more information about our privacy practices, please review the new Privacy Policy found here: https://tripwireinteractive.com/#/privacy-notice

Multimedia Presentation on the Eastern Front.

Bolt

FNG / Fresh Meat
Feb 2, 2006
In the steppes of Crimea
I can bet anything that the only thing you've heard about those purges is that Stalin was a maniac, so he killed most of the officers. Right?
Wrong.
Таким образом в 1937-1938 гг. было арестовано 9506 человек начсостава (из них 1431 восстановлено в 1938-1939 гг.) и уволено по политическим мотивам 18822 (из них 9121 восстановлено в 1938-1939 гг.). Таким образом, итоговое число офицеров, репрессированных в 1937-1938 гг. (без ВВС и флота) составляет 8075 или 1,8 % (от списочного состава комсостава) арестованных (среди которых далеко не все были расстреляны) и 9701 или 2% уволенных из армии.
In 1937-1938 9506 commanding officers were arrested, from which 1431 were freed in 1938-1939. This makes 8075 officers (without the Navy and the Air forces) opressed, or 1,8% of all commanding officers in RKKA (not all were sentenced to death). 9701 or 2% were fired from the Army (but not arrested).
Thing is, do you really think 3,8% of CO that Red army lost in those years had such a huge impact on the beginning of war? I kinda doubt it. I say it's the disorganisation because of the Blitzkrieg, it's because the unexperencied CO and common soldiers (they were facing German veterans, that had 2 years of fighting) and it's outdated tactics.

French leaders didn't purged their officers, but somehow Germans managed to take whole France in a matter of weeks. Also, they were facing English as well - Dunkirk (or whatever it is really called) anyone?

myzko

FNG / Fresh Meat
I can bet anything that the only thing you've heard about those purges is that Stalin was a maniac, so he killed most of the officers. Right?
Wrong.

In 1937-1938 9506 commanding officers were arrested, from which 1431 were freed in 1938-1939. This makes 8075 officers (without the Navy and the Air forces) opressed, or 1,8% of all commanding officers in RKKA (not all were sentenced to death). 9701 or 2% were fired from the Army (but not arrested).
Thing is, do you really think 3,8% of CO that Red army lost in those years had such a huge impact on the beginning of war? I kinda doubt it. I say it's the disorganisation because of the Blitzkrieg, it's because the unexperencied CO and common soldiers (they were facing German veterans, that had 2 years of fighting) and it's outdated tactics.

French leaders didn't purged their officers, but somehow Germans managed to take whole France in a matter of weeks. Also, they were facing English as well - Dunkirk (or whatever it is really called) anyone?

Thing is, alot of experienced men where purged, and YES the purges had a great effect on the overall organization of the Red Army :p

My god people where not even allowed to talk their home language sometimes :D

Bolt

FNG / Fresh Meat
Feb 2, 2006
In the steppes of Crimea
My god people where not even allowed to talk their home language sometimes
Sources please.
And I guess when majority of soldiers is made of Russians or Russian speaking people (Byelorussians, Ukrainians etc), a guy who talks Tadzhik won't do any good?
I know that in IDF soldiers have to talk Idish, in US army I guess they also have to speak English, even if they are Asians, Russians etc..