• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Movie: Framom fr

It's hardly a good movie, more like mediocre. The bunkers/dugouts of the Finland's Swedes are like some wooden hotel rooms, all have Suomi-SMG's and fighting scenes are rather boring, even comical in some cases and the plot wasn't that outstanding. Kari Heiskanen, whose character is Finnish captain & commander of the regiment of Finland's Swedes, made somewhat poor job.

Upvote 0
Relander said:
It's hardly a good movie, more like mediocre.
As I said, it has some weaknesses as a motion picture, but as a story about a military unit it works well.

As for the rest of your criticism:
Relander said:
The bunkers/dugouts of the Finland's Swedes are like some wooden hotel rooms
They had weeks of time to build those bunkers, this is even depicted in the movie? I dont understand what you are getting at.

Relander said:
all have Suomi-SMG's and fighting scenes are rather boring, even comical in some cases
Perhaps this unit had a high complement of SMGs? After all it was a recon unit that was supposed to go into the enemy lines to harry fortified positions. I wouldnt want to do that with bolt action rifles.
I found the infantry combat to be realistic and chaotic.

Relander said:
and the plot wasn't that outstanding.
Plot? You mean in the missing love affair, or that there was no butler to poison the wine decanter? This movie isnt about plot, its a true story :p

Relander said:
Kari Heiskanen, whose character is Finnish captain & commander of the regiment of Finland's Swedes, made somewhat poor job.

Don't really think he was too bad. Seemed like a rugged Finn to me. :)

Upvote 0
Ghadafi said:
They had weeks of time to build those bunkers, this is even depicted in the movie? I dont understand what you are getting at.
They simply can't build that kind of bunkers with material they had. Or do you think they got those kind of planed, shiny wood boards from the woods?

Perhaps this unit had a high complement of SMGs? After all it was a recon unit that was supposed to go into the enemy lines to harry fortified positions. I wouldnt want to do that with bolt action rifles.
Not even recon units had some 90 % of their weapons as SMG's and they need bolt-action rifles too. Besides, even when the the Soviets launched their major attack in the end of the movie, those Finland's Swedes had still vast numbers of SMG's, no matter the fact that their task now was to defend the line so there was a bigger need for bolt-action rifles and SMG's that were supposedly lend from other units, would have been now returned to their owners.

I found the infantry combat to be realistic and chaotic.
Yes, Soviets running like headless chickens in groups towards the Finnish positions and paddling with rowing-boats under enemy fire in the end of the movie? Or how about when the Finland's Swedes attacked Soviet positions and some Soviet soldier shouts insults when opening & shooting from the door and others just run towards Finland's Swedes? Come on.

Plot? You mean in the missing love affair, or that there was no butler to poison the wine decanter? This movie isnt about plot, its a true story :p
Even true stories can have a good plot with good execution and do you really think that this movie followed the true events like a slave follows his master? Sure the director

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well I still liked it. :p Your points are not totally invalid, though.

About russians running in groups towards the enemy: I believe that occurs frequently during war?
About russians rowing: I think that will occur all the time when invading finland, what with 1000 lakes and all.

Edit:
Yeah, there really are a lot of good finnish movies about the war. Would be glad if people could post their imdb-links if they know about them. :)

Some include:

Rukaj

Last edited:
Upvote 0