• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Movement speeds?! Unrealistic. (video)

The movement speeds are realistic. We got a guy (not even a trained soldier or athlete), made him carry a PPSH, and had him run around. We timed his distance from one point to another. And the in-game speed is based exactly off of his running speed.

But what kind of surface was he running on?

It would be nicer if running speeds varied a bit. Running on snow wouldn't be as easy as running on a floor.

And I think that is just too quick for running up stairs.

Upvote 0
It depends on how much equipment, i am not an expert on ww2 equipment, but seems like their not by default wearing that much compared to todays regular soldiers. When i was in the army, and we had full gear on that means boots, combat west, armor, mags , guns , helemet, bottle of water etc (can't even remember all the small gadgets).

Obviously at combat you're not carrying the bags or whatever you might carry when not engaging but still, when we ran damn you couldn't run fast for very long i tell you that, even after months of training with all that gear clunking around.

I think the movements speeds seem just fine, judging by how much equipment they're carrying tho.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
But what kind of surface was he running on?

It would be nicer if running speeds varied a bit. Running on snow wouldn't be as easy as running on a floor.

And I think that is just too quick for running up stairs.
Good idea, i agree.

After examining the stairs a bit more movement speed really is very fast.
In the movie at 17:19 the soldiers run up 16 steps in under one second! :eek:

Upvote 0
Good idea, i agree.

After examining the stairs a bit more movement speed really is very fast.
In the movie at 17:19 the soldiers run up 16 steps in under one second! :eek:

That is mainly what I am worrying about.

Plus running slower in snow would just add to the immersion. Imagine a snowy map where your player is running slower than if they were in a building.

Would make you remember that fighting in the winter/snow was much harder.

And honestly, can it be that hard to add in?

Upvote 0
That is mainly what I am worrying about.

Plus running slower in snow would just add to the immersion. Imagine a snowy map where your player is running slower than if they were in a building.

Would make you remember that fighting in the winter/snow was much harder.

And honestly, can it be that hard to add in?
The game checks textures for different footstep sounds so one would think that routine could also affect movement speed.

Upvote 0
The running speed might be realistic but momentum should make it much harder to make those fast turns. Also accelerating to max running speed seems to happen way too fast.

In the vid you can see how hard it is to hit targets that are close and moving left and right lighting fast.

Human players have momentum, but currently AI donot. We're still working out the momentum not messing up their pathfinding. That is why it looks like they are changing directions so fast (faster than a human player can).

Upvote 0
Human players have momentum, but currently AI donot. We're still working out the momentum not messing up their pathfinding. That is why it looks like they are changing directions so fast (faster than a human player can).
Wow thanks a ton for the fast response on that. I was thinking the same thing when I saw the footage.

Upvote 0
Would it be possible to have a slight lean when running and turning really fast? That's the one (okay not only) thing that annoyed me about ArmA2, you felt like a train when turning, and the stopping and starting was so jerky: standing still, twitchy animation, sprinting at full speed, all in the space of half a second.
If you play latest ArmA 2 and disable mouse smoothing and vsync from the arma2oa.ini you dont feel like a train. you feel like in RO.

Upvote 0
Personally, I think those movement speeds are about perfect. In my opinion most "realistic" shooters totally mess up move speeds, a trained soldier in peak condition would definitely run (for his life!) much faster then most games portray.

Hell, I could run faster then someone in MW2 or CS "sprints" even carrying around heavy gear and whatnot (I would say I'm not in bad shape at the moment so maybe I'll could test it out :p ).

Upvote 0
Lol and worst interviewer ever!
An interview is more effective if the interviewer knows nothing about the game. The people out there that do not know anything about RO would gain nothing from an interviewer that reads the forums and does not need basic questions answered. I thought the interview was great and it probably drew a lot of new attention to the game.

Upvote 0
A bit off topic, but there has been something bothering me about the movement in both Ost, and it looks to be the same in HoS.

When you are sprinting it looks like you are running at full speed and then you just ran out of stamina, and go back to your walking speed.

I think it should be a bit more like ArmA.

If ArmA, when you sprint, as you get more tired your sprinting will become a bit slower over time until you run out of stamina. Then you go back to your normal walking speed.

This is when you run a lot.

I just think it would be much better than the current system.

Upvote 0
Personally, I think people sprint too much in RO. Really you'd mostly be jogging, when you're in a safe area.

They could always make the stamina so that it drains slower than it does in RO:Ost but same applies for 'regeneration', sprint half to death and you'll remain in that state for some time and your overall speed would go down ala OFP\ArmA style aswell.

Upvote 0