• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Movement speeds?! Unrealistic. (video)

zeep

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
Checking out this video it seems player movement speeds are way too fast. I hope they tone it down a notch or 20. I don't want to play BF:BC2 when i'm playing RO.

YouTube - Red Orchestra 2 Detailed Gameplay - Interview with John Gibson

Check the running speeds everywhere. (for example 14:12, 15:58 )
On stairs, 17:16.

Also, see at 16:12 the shadows come through the wall. That's an Unreal engine bug for god knows how long now.

More minefields.. 8:12 :(

Lol and worst interviewer ever!

Last edited:
The interviewer is a total meat head. You could see his brain hurting when John was explaining how to dial in the sight distances. I understand now that 'relaxed realism' is made just for guys like this.

'hurr hurr, that would be funny if like, the soldier got all dizzy from running up the stairs.' 'I like stories!'

Was he drunk?

Upvote 0
The interviewer is a total meat head. You could see his brain hurting when John was explaining how to dial in the sight distances. I understand now that 'relaxed realism' is made just for guys like this.

'hurr hurr, that would be funny if like, the soldier got all dizzy from running up the stairs.' 'I like stories!'

Was he drunk?

granted he mentioned several times he would be better prepared to discuss tanks

Upvote 0
The movement speeds are realistic. We got a guy (not even a trained soldier or athlete), made him carry a PPSH, and had him run around. We timed his distance from one point to another. And the in-game speed is based exactly off of his running speed.
Thanks for clearing that up. In the movie it just seems the world is moving pretty fast underneath the soldier. I'd hate to see RO move to arcade speed.
As long as mappers use the correct UU to real world measurements.

Stairs do seem awfully fast though.

Upvote 0
Speed is ok
With adrenaline in blood , belive me you can run much faster then that even with 400 rounds for PKM.
But what I dislike in this video is electric lights everywhere and electric torches on every stairs. :confused: Did Russians left them just to make sure Germans can safely get to cap zone? Looks very nice ( lighting effects) but so Unreal 3.0 :D

Upvote 0
Thanks for clearing that up. In the movie it just seems the world is moving pretty fast underneath the soldier. I'd hate to see RO move to arcade speed.
As long as mappers use the correct UU to real world measurements.

Stairs do seem awfully fast though.
The stairs are probably something that could use adjusting.

But as for the other movement looking too fast, I think a big part of it is the change in FOV when the player activates sprint. It's a cool (and realistic) effect that really gives you the sense of forward momentum, but I imagine just watching a video of it can give the optical illusion that the movement speeds are too fast.

Upvote 0
The movement speeds are realistic. We got a guy (not even a trained soldier or athlete), made him carry a PPSH, and had him run around. We timed his distance from one point to another. And the in-game speed is based exactly off of his running speed.

Ah the perks of being a VP. :cool:

*points* "You there! Pick up this stuff and run around, we have game testing to do!" *whip*(*)

(*) Fear not realism blokes, the whip is there to replace the fear of being shot at and needing to get from a to b as quick as possible.

Upvote 0

But its still unrealistic, to make a realistic game you have to nerf real life, to make it frustrating, that way it feels more real, like ArmA. I think some people actually like that.

=)

Upvote 0