• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

More transparency from Tripwire?

More transparency from Tripwire?

• Yes

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 15 50.0%

• Total voters

Calumhm

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 22, 2009
Plymouth, England
It is my opinion that very many gamers, particularly those who've never visited this forum, misunderstand RO2 in many ways.

For example, the zoom feature is designed to approximate human vision distance, and therefor extend firefight range to real life levels. How would newcomers know this? Most of the critics call the feature unrealistic! Comments like "Robo-vision" further my belief that it's widely misunderstood

Also, I think newcomers often mistake an unfamiliar damage model both (tanks and players) for bugs and glitches. "I shot him!! Stupid game!!" (sorry mate, you hit him in a non lethal area/you missed the fuel tank etc)

--- TL;DR --- Point being, if TWI explained their game mechanics more, some people might realize what was intentional, understand TWIs motives behind certain decisions that seem strange at face value. It would reduce much frustration to those who haven't worked all this out themselves.

Last edited:
It is my opinion that very many gamers, particularly those who've never visited this forum, misunderstand RO2 in many ways.

For example, the zoom feature is designed to approximate human vision distance, and therefor extend firefight range to real life levels. How would newcomers know this? Most of the critics call the feature unrealistic! Comments like "Robo-vision" further my belief that it's widely misunderstood

Also, I think newcomers often mistake an unfamiliar damage model both (tanks and players) for bugs and glitches. "I shot him!! Stupid game!!" (sorry mate, you hit him in a non lethal area/you missed the fuel tank etc)

--- TL;DR --- Point being, if TWI explained their game mechanics more, some people might realize what was intentional, understand TWIs motives behind certain decisions that seem strange at face value. It would reduce much frustration to those who haven't worked all this out themselves.

Are you advocating that TWI should take the developers away from completing and releasing the new HUGE RO2 update (including Classic Mode) simply to explain the game? :confused:

Am I missing something here?

I'd rather see Tripwire devoting their precious time to the program instead of baby sitting. The newer users can always ASK questions both in-game and here in the forums. There many experienced users ready, willing and able to help them. ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Gotta agree with Mike on that.

I understand everybody once was a noob himself, and also that RO2 is a couple of steps above your average fps, but everybody learnt by doing or studying (or asking, as suggested)

We could have an indeep tutorial, or even better, as old games once were, with a manual that explains every aspects of the game. This could be community made btw, and I'm sure that, if it's made well, TWI would surely release it ;)

So, you could do this in your spare time, maybe? I've already saw some nice posts in "tactics" area.

Upvote 0
Hello all

Transparency is probably not the correct word to use in this situation, but a more comprehensive in game tutorial would have been nice, but as others are saying to do this at the current time would pull TWI resources from other tasks most likely.

A far better idea now IMHO, would be for the old pro's of the game (or a community manager) to write up a newbie guide and post it here for us new folk.

Also, even though the game was written a certain way, players always find interesting and unexpected ways to play out of the original remit, which is why I'd like a player written guide.

Just a thought.

Rgds

LoK

Upvote 0
Nah, I don't think it's necessary. It's a shooter in the end. New guy dies. Why is that? He got shot.
New guy shoots somebody else, enemy dies, new guy is happy. New guy shoots somebody, but only wounds him, just to get shot back and killed? He will rant "Cheater" and bul**** through text messages. Either he gets the issue explained during the game, or, in the best place, comes to the forums and asks.

The forum is full of useful threads, helpful people and I think that TWI is pretty open in general. The WIKI is a great idea. Hopefully that gets loads of input from the community.

Upvote 0