• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

More scripts, training, single-player - and Japanese

So I didn't write anything last week. Sorry. I was busy being asleep. Or working. Or both. So, I've actually been out training, done some yard work (if scaring the dog with a pressure-washer counts as yard work). Like you lot care :p

First off, I'll go off in a completely different direction: the Japanese. Nestor just sent me some samples of the battle chatter and commands from their recent Japanese voice recording session in London. "Show these pigs - banzai!" was moderately scary, coming from the "young idealistic one" (we have different character types/bios to give the voice actors some direction). His moaning and groaning was rather blood-curdling. I hadn't thought about it until I listened to these pieces, but the voice work in Rising Storm is going to be something quite different. Playing as Americans, to hear the Japanese jabbering away (not being racist - just that I don't speak a word of Japanese and it sounds very alien to my ears) is going to make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

In RO2, I'm going to have some idea of what the enemy is saying in German or Russian (both currently being recorded in Russia/Germany). But Japanese will be another matter. We've finally finished all the spoken script, all the English language recorded. Battle chatter, commands, campaign intros and outros, mission briefings, the training etc. The sheer volume (pun unintended) is quite amazing... hearing it all come together in game, in the various languages, is also amazing. Some great voice acting in there!

See if you can persuade Nestor to post some Japanese examples :)

What else? Release of Dwarfs - that all went amazingly well - thanks to all involved. Robin and Teddy have some upcoming surprises for the world. Should be great fun. Working on our advertizing and PR schedule, starting to book everything for the rest of the year - through launch and beyond (see - it WILL be this year!). You'll see a pile of advertizing/marketing building over the coming months. As well as some very cool extra PR stuff in the next couple of months. No, I am not going to spoil the surprise.

As for shows we're attending, we're pencilling in GDC Europe/GamesCom, PAX in Seattle, Igromir, CES and GDC next March. Not forgeting our local SIEGE in October, which will now feature an extra day on the topic of funding games - VCs, angels and all, run by the same crew who ran the recent succesful event in Austin.

That's all, folks :)

(...)In RO2, I'm going to have some idea of what the enemy is saying in German or Russian (both currently being recorded in Russia/Germany). But Japanese will be another matter. We've finally finished all the spoken script, all the English language recorded. Battle chatter, commands, campaign intros and outros, mission briefings, the training etc. The sheer volume (pun unintended) is quite amazing... hearing it all come together in game, in the various languages, is also amazing. Some great voice acting in there!(...)

Don't get it. RO2 will have localized voices i.e. English speaking German and Russian soldiers, huh?

Upvote 0
The way he's talking sounds like they're planning a October-November 2011 Release. Which would be bad in terms of sales, due to BF3 & MW3.
Not necessarily. Just because they're attending events in October into winter doesn't mean that's when the game is releasing.

Wilson even mentioned in a recent interview "later this summer" in regards to RO -- not that this is 100% binding, of course.

Upvote 0
They've said that there will be the option to have the characters speak English or German/Russian.
The PLAN is to have the side you are playing talk in your native language (i.e. English for me), while the enemy talks in THEIR native tongue - so in Russian if I am playing as German. If all goes to PLAN, you'll be able to play with just the actual side's language if you prefer, for more "authenticity". Although you can debate "authentic" when I have to listen to my squad-members yabbering in a language I don't speak!

NB: note the emphasis on the word PLAN. Some plans have to be discarded!

Reactions: guzz60
Upvote 0
Although you can debate "authentic" when I have to listen to my squad-members yabbering in a language I don't speak!

One more escuse for people learn how to talk Russian/German.
And that idea is preety good since most people (me included) don't understand most of the German language other than some streiotyped sentences such as "Achtgun" "Masch schnell" (Jeremy Clarkson making fun of Germans can be helpfull to ear).

On the "air standing up on the back of your neck" I know what you are talking about. It's like if you are deep inside enemy territory and crawling trough the jungle you tought was empty of human life but suddenly ... you ear 2 Japanese infantryman whispering to each other.
This is what RO is all about, making you feel tiny and dispensible in the battle field.

Also, on the release date, I bet the game won't be released until November/December or early 2012 (preferibly February 3rd, heck yes!).
To bad TWI won't be at E3, because it would be by far the best conference there, surpasing Konami, Nintendo and Sony without all that effort.
Wait, I just tought of something ... since TWI and VALVe are very very good friends, couldn't John Gibson show up with Gabe talking about new stuff from both companies (and about the ARG)? That would be seriously awsome, am I rite?

Upvote 0