• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

More historical loadouts for Realism mode

More historical loadouts for Realism mode

• Yes

Votes: 658 95.1%
  • No

Votes: 34 4.9%

• Total voters
Completely agree,

less Semis/SMG = more fun. Currently game is dominated by these weapons, e.g. on 32 slot server only about 8 players have bolt action rifle, which is 25% of total player count. I think it should be inversely. In 8 vs 8 all players can carry SMGs, Semis and MG because there is no place for bolts.

I hope we don't need to wait for mods/mutators, but TWI will listen fans and improve gameplay.

Upvote 0
So everyone voting in here for increased realism is certain that squads weren't outfitted with similar weapons in real life? (minus the mkb and other rare weapons- I agree there) I certainly am not an expert, but I would think that smgs would be a popular choice in urban environments...

Ofcourse they were popular but very limited. The Russians had a bit more than the Germans but the bolt action was the standard issue weapon so it was the most common, atleast by 70% usually more. Its like with the Americans the garand was the most common weapon in close combat because it was standard issue.

Reactions: SiC-Disaster
Upvote 0
So everyone voting in here for increased realism is certain that squads weren't outfitted with similar weapons in real life? (minus the mkb and other rare weapons- I agree there) I certainly am not an expert, but I would think that smgs would be a popular choice in urban environments...

To be fair, if you are into realism, its not the "was it possible" as much as "was it common".

In game you want to be a member of a stereotypical Soviet or Axis platoon, not some rare or non-existent experimental platoon. I could however imagine that when put into battle for testing purposes that there would be a lot more MkB's per platoon than people are thinking.

When an army is testing a new weapon in the field, they are not testing how accurate it is. They are testing how it should be used as part of the platoon's battlefield tactics. Since the weapon is designed to replace both the rifle and the smg, it seems to me that any platoon experimenting with their use would actually have nothing but MkB's and MG's.

If not, they wouldn't really be testing to see if it can actually replace the rifle and the smg.

So while it may not be strcitly historically accurate for them to be there, or even in terms of capability, the numbers of them isn't that unusual. In the battle, we are one platoon, or less, of soldiers. That's 30 men. Replace all the non-MG weapons with the MkB and you would have 27 of them.

So what we have is less overpowering than what was meant to happen (at least eventually) in the real world. It's unrealistic not to have more of them, in other words, but I'm sure the RO1 fans won't be too bothered by that.

Upvote 0
Ofcourse they were popular but very limited.

Define limited.

People seem to think they would take a bunch of experimental weapons and just give them out to their favourite soldiers all over the battlefield. This is simply not true at all. Field testing a weapon is not just about seeing if the weapon can kill people - it about having it take on the complete intended role, and then finding out how that role should be done differently with the new weapon.

The MkB was meant to replace every personal firearm on the battlefield except the MG. So an experimental platooon would have 27 of them, not 4. TWI have set it up as though the AR was meant to only replace the SMG. It wasn't. It was meant to standardise all the soldiers around one weapon that could effectively do all the roles required, except the MG role.

So if you really want realistic, TWI could have filled the server with them. They decided not to go that far, it seems.

Upvote 0
i think this poll makes a pretty valid point...

i understand making the game friendly to new players, but TWI knows what the fanbase wanted.. they should have if anything made it even more serious (like removing "incoming artillery" warnings) and removing even more of the tactical hud... and of course I agree with loadouts... and ideally added sway...

..Im worried we will be waiting on a mod to accomplish this

Upvote 0
Hmm it appears the poll results speak for themselves ... this is what your community is asking for TWI!

At the very least, TWI needs to release a TWI-approved "RO Classic" mutator that changes loadouts, particular unlocks (like PPSH drum mags, bayonets), and appropriate ratios of bolts/semi autos to RO1-like levels.

This would obviously be an unranked gamemode, and would go along way to towards pleasing a good chunk of the RO community who looked for these features in RO2 but didn't get them. It would also be quite effective at quelling the general dissatisfaction on these forums.

Just remember that these polls, as unimportant as you may make them out to be, ARE important -- they are a critical way in which you can connect to (and retain ) your paying fanbase.

Reactions: Divinity
Upvote 0
I voted yes, historical or not.

I like this game, but the maps we have so far have far too much emphasis on SMG's. What's more, the difference is this: in ROOst the SMG's were far less effective at range than what I'm currently seeing with ROHoS, especially the ppsh. This made them a less attractive choice for many players even on tighter maps like Lyes Krovy or Danzig. For whatever reason, in this new game with a bolt action, and with the zoom feature, you almost have to sit back and act like a sniper. The alternative is getting owned by the same SMG's you'd have had a better chance against in ROOst.

It is difficult for me to see maps being made for this game by TWI that have the feel of the old maps. This game is feeling more and more like 'rush rush rush shoot shoot' rather than 'advance on cover, examine your situation, engage targets, capture zone'.

Personally, I would have rather had a game that updated RO graphically and perhaps added a couple of new wrinkles without changing the basic nature of the gameplay itself. We were told for months that we'd have options, and options are good. Well, yeah to a point they are. I think we've been given so many options that it's getting a bit harder to recognize the "RO-ness" of this new game.

Overall, let me say again I LIKE THE GAME. I just don't know if I like it as much as I though I would. With a few more months of Tripwire's support, and maybe some community development (which requires the SDK please) we'll see what we wanted to see.

I want Tripwire to do well, I really do. Big fan. I do think however that the people who have played RO since the mod and since the start of the retail release have valid points about the core gameplay....and Tripwire needs to listen.

Reactions: SiC-Disaster
Upvote 0
Me and my three friends all desire the RO1 style loadouts. It is fine if this is unranked, no XP etc (might even be better in many ways). Adding this as a third mode sounds like the easiest way to deal with it without upsetting anything. And calling it "Red Orchestra Classic" mode is just too sweet and catchy. :)

Some of us are RO1 veterans (to varying levels). But either way all of us seem to like Red Orchestra over the other shooters due to the realistic appeal in setting and weaponry. We like some of that stuff from ArmA 2, but that game is just too time consuming to set up and casually play.

The prevalence of rapid fire easy to use weapons, ability to shoot through some materials, and the maps having a heck of a lot of alternate routes to every place (can never set up anywhere without being exposed in a bad way in other directions) leads (we think) to less choke point battles (which we previously particularly enjoyed) and a really chaotic type of play with ramboing characters who run around in the confusion. At least there is more chaos and less of a battle 'line' than what we experienced in RO1. With the auto weapons being the weaker SMG type (no battle/assault rifles) and the rifles being predominantly bolt-action, we expect gameplay to become a little bit slower paced, and more cohesive.

On a side note, HUD minimap, friendly tags and especially HUD overlay for squad members would be most welcome, since it is damned hard to coordinate together. RO1 had these problems too, but the battles there were usually a bit slower and predictable so one more time to coordinate.

The game is fantastic, and with "RO Classic" mode, it would be super-fantastic.

Upvote 0
I liked the way it was done in RO where it depended on the map. For example on some maps the Russians have nothing but PPSHs and the Germans have their usual loadout, and it wasn't IMBALANCED, the map design balances it out just fine (if the Germans let the Russians get in close enough they're going to get slaughtered).

In particular I'm thinking of that great Stalingrad map and the one that took place mostly in a trench system (started with an L?). Also I think Leningrad was like that.

And my favorite map of all time was the one where the Germans were defending in Courland. It was winter, they're dug into their foxholes, Russian arty is coming down at random, and up ahead out of nowhere the "horde" materializes in the blizzard and the entire battle depends on whether or not the Germans can keep their MG42s in action because the Mausers frankly just didn't have the firepower to keep them back. If the Russians get in close enough to work you over with their PPSHs that's all she wrote. What was the map name? Karelia? I think that was it. THAT was the Red Orchestra gaming I fell in love with.

You sir, are my god. I'm thinking that Darkest Hour 2 should come out and be everything RO2 wasn't.

Upvote 0