• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

More garbage

PETERPANs

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 10, 2009
I am sorry If I miss something more than others but I have some little to tell. Its about feeling, maps are great, huge, well textures, ... yes it is.

But still it is too clean for me. There should be more kind of debries, not only from buildings or vehicles. Something like:

- helmets
- ammo belts, empty or full, ammo clips ...
- broken weapons, wood stocks, barrels ...
- cans antd other soldier equipment
- ALSO DEAD SOLDIERS
- and etc.

Since Stalingrad battle is one of big ones, there should be more signs of war, like more garbage, not just too clean areas. It is looking like garbage cars going to clean the city every morning. Yes, I think that maps are too clean, like someone is still cleaning it.

Examples (just examples):
BE028347.jpg

stalingrad_dead_germans_ww2_second_world_war_amazing_pictures_images_photos_soldiers_007.jpg

stalingrad-zelma-road.jpg

stalingrad-250.jpg

skull

stalingradbattle2.jpg

Last edited:
I actually think all maps should start completely normal and 'pristine' and then get knocked about in real time thanks to grenades, HMG fire, artillery, tank fire etc.

So, once you start a new map on a server there are no broken windows or destroyed walls or w/e, and then as the map goes on (remember that you can play some maps for 3-4 hours at least should you want to, and people will leave and join throughout any given match) the natural progression of the game means that you will have corpses, helmets, bullets and burnt out tank wrecks lying around.

So, when you start a map instead of having pre-determined T-34 wreckages (such as one I've seen on dev videos from last year, but I have no idea the map was called) you would only get them after actual T-34s have been destroyed, and they'd remain there for the rest of the game (unless further destroyed by tank fire/artillery I guess).

Everyone get what I mean? So maps are dynamic (as we've been told) and the multi-level destruction system would work to our advantage in adding different levels of atmosphere depending on how blown apart certain areas of the map are - so for example at the end of one map you might have craters and building rubble to hide/fight in and around that wasn't there at the start of the map as it was previously single storey apartments or whatever.

Presumably this is all possible; you just have to assume that the start of any given map is the start of the fighting in that particular area - hardly an issue when you consider how much environmental damage can be done in the space of an hour (particularly with the three different artillery types and a couple of tanks) and over four or more hours you could have an almost unrecognisable version of the map you started with.

Anyway I thought it sounded cool. :IS2:

Upvote 0
How so? It's the same as what will happen in RO2, except you wouldn't start with any maps designed as war-torn; every map would assume you are the first wave of attackers. The difference (AFAIK) is in map creation/design philosophy, not so much the engine.

Static objects and details compared to objects that can be affected by physics, get dirty etc. On top of that, gameplay changing destruction like rubble that you can hide behind would have to be server-sided.

There are obviously some destruction in RO2, but I don't think it's on the scale where it goes from a really clean environment to a dirty battleground filled with bulletholes, dead bodies and most important in my opinion layers of dirt.

Upvote 0
1. Just set graphics, debries should be like grass on/off (in general it is not buletproof material). So i can see it you not, because I have better computer than you. For me it will be greater detail.
2. for singleplayer it is less problem

Probably wouldn't work. I think they are probably using the foliagefactory entity to spread bricks and rubble along the ground, theres not really any way to selectively cull out certain models and not others.

Upvote 0
Definitely needs more garbage laying around,This is a place where 2500 Soviet soldiers were dying a day during the height and similar amounts on the German side... Place was hell on earth.

Game is too clean I agree

Your right, it was a modern day ww1, no man zone. 2500 Russian's would die just trying to take a corner block.. of a street, with 4 to 6 building's.. on a block, the Ruskies had it tough.

Upvote 0
YES!!! love the idea...and love hte idea of having dynamic battel feild where tanks dotn dissapreer and boddys dont either...but there is a problem!

tanks blocking the onyl road....fix....tanks can push dead tanks

3297489234789 bodies in the same place becasue of a suidider/well palced MG and noobs on the otehr team...fix...no clue

HUGE ammount of CPU and memory is going ot be needed to render all this and keep it in teh same place for every player, client and server side! ...fix....make the min requirments higher, but this maeks the problem of ****y computers...like mine!

you might say turn them off, but then you would see the german behidn that block of hosue that fell over....

idk if you really could do this on a full scale...but on things like static server side only things its possible...like how the building look, or mabey the tanks have dirt by the tracks or more scortch marks on the barrel when they fire a lot.

and i want atleast 3 bombed to hell maps...and the "clean" counter parts. this way you cna either have a 6 hour game and get teh same results as a 30 min game!

Upvote 0
Maybe RO3, feel like a bit too much for current software/hardware to handle.

Dead bodies left on map can be seen on Total War series games, Theatre Of War series and much more.

Also, in TOW every destroyed/abandoned thing remains on the map. ;)

Btw, what is described by OP (PETERPANs) isn't too hard to do. It's simply adjusting map aspect with some more elements, on the other side, what is described by Stephen is -excellent- but IMHO pratically impossible to do at this development point.....this is pratically the description of the games above and Company Of Heroes :D

Great suggestions anyway ;)

Upvote 0