• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

More dust from bullet hits

Watching videos, bullets can kick up quite a lot of dust. I think this should be reflected in game, for visual purposes - note though that it would also have the secondary effect of supplementing suppression through obscuring an enemies view somewhat.

I agree. I find I have difficulty telling where my bullets are landing because the particle impacts are so small for weapons.

Also, PTRS needs a monster impact.. anything above 12.7mm kicks up a dirt/dust storm when it hits.

Upvote 0
Just to clarify, I did mean environmental dust (smoke?), but I would like it applied to players also if it is realistic. I know it was made a popular image by Saving Private Ryan/Band of Brothers (and it does look really cool) but I don't know the reality. I would guess there is some from a person but less, depending on the clothing, but I don't know.

Also yes to muzzles kicking up dust.

Upvote 0
I would say post-processing is unlkely to affect this much as you say, post processing is like adding after effects, such as motion blur, bloom, saturation, blurring, that type of thing, which are affected by what's already there in the game world. So it shouldn't affect whether the particle effect from a bullet hit is there or not.

But I'm not sure.

Upvote 0
I don't think that there needs to be more of an impact effect when bullets hit a person. The reason I say this is because there already is a noticeable blood mist. It can sometimes be hard to see, but when playing Spartanovka last night I was able to see the impact from 200 meters away. This was after first reading this thread, so I may have been playing extra attention to spoting the impact effect, but it is clearly visible even at considerable distance.

Upvote 0
It really depends on the what the ground is actually made of.

If it's a soft clay, there won't be much dust or dirt kick up. If it's sand there will be a lot kicked up.

I'd hate to see a cloud of dust kick up when I shoot into a muddy river bank....

This is true too. I do think TW has done a good job creating different particle effects for each type of surface ie the differences between impacting dirt, concrete, wood, metal and so on. Some of which are very noticeable, concrete for example produces a rather large particle effect, while wood is very subtle.

Upvote 0