• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Modern Warfare Mod?

I thought this would be interesting to see to. Would make for a great mod IMO.

well i know from your nick you'd be interested, even if they'd just be wrecked static meshes in the desert.

I like the idea of a mod where i have no real bias toward either side, and neither had an overwhelming advantage where the battle see-sawed as both in turn attempted invasion.
But more than this i love the tanks and aircraft that were used, and there's a lot of overlap with other settings that interest me, so options are open.

I think there would be a few ppl on this forum like you and me that would love to play an 1st persian gulf war mod - many of us are also the kind of ppl who lauded CC and MN for their orgional settings, armies and equipment.
But let's face it, there was unfortunately never enough interest in those mods to keep them going, the vast majority wanted to play the other one.

Upvote 0
I would be interested in just about every conflict that is post WWII.

One of the wars Israel was in? I'd like to play that.

Though Iran-Iraq would be nice because it is a new conflict.

But if I where to see a modern warfare mod I would like to see an Insurgency: Done Right. A lot of potential in that setting.

Upvote 0
I would be interested in just about every conflict that is post WWII.

One of the wars Israel was in? I'd like to play that. .

i think yom kippur would be better than six day, which was (obviously) over quickly and basically won on day one with air strikes.
A dedicated mod to either both would involve a mish-mash of armoured types and a lot of modelling work, but it could be done as a limited side setting if you already had a handful of types up and ready- L7 cent, m48, t54/55 you were using for something else.

But for me arab-israeli conflicts don't really appeal - bit one sided and they kinda leave a bad taste - out of the lesser known orgional RL conflicts iran-iraq is the one.

Upvote 0
This may be true. My only fears would be that playing as an Iraqi or Iranian might not appeal to many westerners.

oh yeah totally - which is something i don't get because i'm the opposite really.
One of the things i liked about ostfront was that i had no feeling of bias towards each other side. It was just a nasty war and in that sense despite certain issues you may have with either side, equally you have to sympathise.
Iran iraq would be the same for me - i mean, they were just soldiers like any others going the same thing as most other.

TBH if i was ever to pursue this, i would pitch it to the project reality community who appear more open minded regarding different armies of the world - but they has so many plans for expansion anyway there would likely be no room for it, even if a lot of assets could be shared.

And assets is another key issue that makes the theatre moot for HoS - if you want to feature a broad selection of equipment you will need massive manpower as you are starting from scratch, and the detail of the upcoming vehicles sets a standard that means an outrageous workload for any mod team.

Upvote 0
I got SB Pro PE, and I must say that the armor combat dynamics absolutely should be modeled. If 8x8km maps are possible, it's possible to replicate modern armor within the game up to reasonable extents.

Firstly though, infantry combat is what needs to be accomplished before moving up to armored warfare and combined arms. Proper modeling of optics, recoil, general marksmanship, etc. New game mechanics that would need to be modeled would basically just be combat/reflex optics, HEAT/HEDP warheads fired from recoilless and guided ATGMs/rockets, and also MANPAD modeling in terms of flare rejection, target acquisition, etc.

Everything else is just new models and maps. One definite step towards the modeling of armored warfare would be having a FLIR optic.

Last edited:
Upvote 0