• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Mod maps

You will have to upload the custom maps to your server and place them in the appropriate directories. This is where ftp access comes in.

By default, downloading of a custom map for a player connected to your server is extremely slow. It is common practice to compress the file(s) into an .uz2 file(s) and place it on another server. Depending upon the machine the files are placed on (this is the re-direct server) the downloads will usually be much faster than if the game engine directs the download.

It is this server that you point the redirect url to in the redorchestra.ini file. For example:
Code:
[IpDrv.HTTPDownload]
RedirectToURL=http://www.mywebserver.com/downloads/RO/

It is my understanding that there are some "free" servers available for the U2 community, but someone else will have to speak to that.

Thats as unmuddled and over-simplified as I can explain it.

Floyd

Upvote 0
My server set up my redirect and didnt charge me any extra. They added the redirect folder and modified my .ini for me. I didnt have to do anything except load the files. I think a good hosting company should be able to help you since you are a customer. Ask them to set up a redirect and how much it will be.

Echo, I did get your email but Ill post my response here. Now, I am no expert and I had to figure all this out on my own (6 months of expertise here, :p). But, as far as the .uz2 fomat goes, its like zip compression but based on the Atari system (I may be wrong but when I googled uz2 I found a bunch of atart crap).

Any way, there are several programs to compress your file i.e. .rom to a .uz2 format. I simply use the DOS command line like follows. I could never get the others to work for me.

cd C:\Games\steamapps\common\red orchestra\System
This is the directory where my ucc.exe is located. See below for what ucc.exe does.

ucc compress c:\50pc\Working\aradnight.rom
I have a working folder where I do my work,:rolleyes:......anyway, once aradnight.rom is in my working folder and my dos prompt is at the link above (where my ucc.exe is) you just tell it to "Compress the file at this location with the second command line. That is what the second line does. Then you will have aradnigh.rom.uz2.

You will have to FTP aradnight.rom to your maps folder and aradnight.rom.uz2 to your redirect folder on your server.

So the first line sets the directory to where the file ucc.exe is located. UCC.exe is the file that actually does the compression for you. You wont have it on your computer so you will have to load "SDK Beta" under tools in your steam account. SDK is some map editor thing which I suck at.

Any how, once it is installed you can do a search for ucc.exe on your computer, copy it to your steamapps/common/red orchestra/system folder. You will also have to copy a file called steam.dll, I think, to the same system folder. Eitherway, once you run the command lines above and it fails, it will tell you something like "Cant find steam.dll" or something. You will have to read it to figure it out. Just find/copy/paste the missing file to the same folder that ucc.exe is running.

In addition, I have started an upload before and it failed, leaving only half of the .rom file in the maps folder and it crashed my server. I had to delete the file and start over again with the upload. No big deal but I was uploading a bunch of maps at once and didnt know which one failed etc. so I went through alot of headaches trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. My advice is do one map at a time.

Finally, when you try to do other maps you will have to upload texture, static mesh, sound, etc. files. Some may have to be uz2'd if they are too big. Just do the same thing as above.

Just stay organized and be aware of what you are loading, where you are loading, and what, if anything, you are overwriting! When your done, clear out your cache folder on your computer and try and join your server to make sure it works.

Upvote 0
My server set up my redirect and didnt charge me any extra. They added the redirect folder and modified my .ini for me. I didnt have to do anything except load the files. I think a good hosting company should be able to help you since you are a customer. Ask them to set up a redirect and how much it will be.

Echo, I did get your email but Ill post my response here. Now, I am no expert and I had to figure all this out on my own (6 months of expertise here, :p). But, as far as the .uz2 fomat goes, its like zip compression but based on the Atari system (I may be wrong but when I googled uz2 I found a bunch of atart crap).

Any way, there are several programs to compress your file i.e. .rom to a .uz2 format. I simply use the DOS command line like follows. I could never get the others to work for me.

This is the directory where my ucc.exe is located. See below for what ucc.exe does.

I have a working folder where I do my work,:rolleyes:......anyway, once aradnight.rom is in my working folder and my dos prompt is at the link above (where my ucc.exe is) you just tell it to "Compress the file at this location with the second command line. That is what the second line does. Then you will have aradnigh.rom.uz2.

You will have to FTP aradnight.rom to your maps folder and aradnight.rom.uz2 to your redirect folder on your server.

So the first line sets the directory to where the file ucc.exe is located. UCC.exe is the file that actually does the compression for you. You wont have it on your computer so you will have to load "SDK Beta" under tools in your steam account. SDK is some map editor thing which I suck at.

Any how, once it is installed you can do a search for ucc.exe on your computer, copy it to your steamapps/common/red orchestra/system folder. You will also have to copy a file called steam.dll, I think, to the same system folder. Eitherway, once you run the command lines above and it fails, it will tell you something like "Cant find steam.dll" or something. You will have to read it to figure it out. Just find/copy/paste the missing file to the same folder that ucc.exe is running.

In addition, I have started an upload before and it failed, leaving only half of the .rom file in the maps folder and it crashed my server. I had to delete the file and start over again with the upload. No big deal but I was uploading a bunch of maps at once and didnt know which one failed etc. so I went through alot of headaches trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. My advice is do one map at a time.

Finally, when you try to do other maps you will have to upload texture, static mesh, sound, etc. files. Some may have to be uz2'd if they are too big. Just do the same thing as above.

Just stay organized and be aware of what you are loading, where you are loading, and what, if anything, you are overwriting! When your done, clear out your cache folder on your computer and try and join your server to make sure it works.
Holy crap!!! What did I get myself into?!!!!

Upvote 0
the map will be stored in the cache folder.

In the cache folder are lots of files with weird names

like:

23098udmfw3u32n0wehnf02w4rowqinf0w9u4rq2oih432q094

and a text file that says stuff like:
23098udmfw3u32n0wehnf02w4rowqinf0w9u4rq2oih432q094 = RO-Spartaaa.rom

so then you can rename the file to what it said in the text file, and place it in the correct folder. (just browse what folders got the same extension like *.rom in the maps folder

Upvote 0
What about the maps in my maps folder?

C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\red orchestra\Maps

They have a .rom ext.

In this location
"C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\red orchestra\Cache" I found the following as an example

69B1F2F249133781F9FADB90BC5428CC-1=RO-[PzDF]-Arad-Winter-WSS-HeavyTanks-Beta6.rom

Can I use these to load on my server? BTW why do I need the redirect? Why does my server not let them download fast enough? Why all the extra work? Seems it would be easier to just have the server load them faster.

Upvote 0
for low pings the internet lines of the sever must stay as clean as possible, beside that the max download speed is set in the server ini. and is 10kB/s by default which is kinda slow. This is why there are redirect servers to take the load of the game server so people can play lag free.
Another reason is that game servers generally use more expensive bandwidth to get really good routing and low latency. Where with a download server you care more about the bandwidth quantity rather than quality because if connecting to the server is a bit shabby who cares as long as you get your files fast enough.

69B1F2F249133781F9FADB90BC5428CC-1=RO-[PzDF]-Arad-Winter-WSS-HeavyTanks-Beta6.rom

find the actual file 69B1F2F249133781F9FADB90BC5428CC-1

and other files that should be there with the map like skins custom models etc. (thats why just downloading it of a site can be easier).

then rename the 69B1F2F249133781F9FADB90BC5428CC-1 file to RO-[PzDF]-Arad-Winter-WSS-HeavyTanks-Beta6.rom

then put all files out of the cache folder in the correct folders rom files go in maps etc. (another reason why just downloading can be easier for starting :p)

then compress the file as explained by ro50pc (or search the forums for more detailed explanations, i believe worluk or aceto did one with pictures).

then upload the compressed file to the redirect and make sure you have use compression set to on in your Ro game server ini.

and upload the not compressed file to the RO game server, and place it in the correct folder

Upvote 0
for low pings the internet lines of the sever must stay as clean as possible, beside that the max download speed is set in the server ini. and is 10kB/s by default which is kinda slow. This is why there are redirect servers to take the load of the game server so people can play lag free.
Another reason is that game servers generally use more expensive bandwidth to get really good routing and low latency. Where with a download server you care more about the bandwidth quantity rather than quality because if connecting to the server is a bit shabby who cares as long as you get your files fast enough.

find the actual file 69B1F2F249133781F9FADB90BC5428CC-1

and other files that should be there with the map like skins custom models etc. (thats why just downloading it of a site can be easier).

then rename the 69B1F2F249133781F9FADB90BC5428CC-1 file to RO-[PzDF]-Arad-Winter-WSS-HeavyTanks-Beta6.rom

then put all files out of the cache folder in the correct folders rom files go in maps etc. (another reason why just downloading can be easier for starting :p)

then compress the file as explained by ro50pc (or search the forums for more detailed explanations, i believe worluk or aceto did one with pictures).

then upload the compressed file to the redirect and make sure you have use compression set to on in your Ro game server ini.

and upload the not compressed file to the RO game server, and place it in the correct folder

I think I will just download them from somehwere else. I am just not sure where to find them. Is there one source or are there many? I saw some in the forum but some of them were a few years old.
How do I know it will work if it is old? Or how do I know it is the latest version?

Upvote 0
Check the most recent threads and most maps are numbered old maps will work on the server just as fine as new maps its just that they are older. You can always replace the map if you end up finding out a newer version was released. Or just email the map creator if you're lazy, they often want to offer some help to a guy who wants to put their map on his server.

Upvote 0

OK so once I am here cd C:\Games\steamapps\common\red orchestra\System, do I click on systems to get to the ucc.exe? Also I do not know how to do the DOS commands. Please explain. I also loaded the SDK Beta a long time ago so I should be ok there. Right?

Upvote 0
OK so once I am here cd C:\Games\steamapps\common\red orchestra\System, do I click on systems to get to the ucc.exe? Also I do not know how to do the DOS commands. Please explain. I also loaded the SDK Beta a long time ago so I should be ok there. Right?

LOL, Im coming to Illinois to visit some family. Give me your address....just kidding.

1. Is UCC.exe in your system folder? If yes, continue, otherwise search your entire computer for it and put it in there.

2. Get a map from Level Design (Beta)- I chose Moscow-Beta1 for an example. Download it to somewhere you can work with it. i.e. c:\working\moscow\moscow_beta1.rom (Note: You may have to create the folder structure.)

http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34

3. When you get the file look at its contents. For instance, Moscow comes with RO-Moscow_beta1.rom and thats it.

4. Go to "Start", "Run", and type "CMD". This give you your command prompt. Type "CD" for change directory, and type or copy and paste the link to that system folder. i.e. cd C:\Games\steamapps\common\red orchestra\System and press enter.

5. Type ucc compress c:\folder moscow is at\moscow_beta1.rom

6. You should now see "moscow_beta1.rom.uz2" in the same folder as moscow_beta1.rom. Another note, you cant have spaces in your strings. The above example wouldnt work because of folder moscow, you would have to name your folder "folder_moscow".

If it doesnt work, let us know what it says.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok Bman, I get it now. Thanks for your help, your not as much of a bad dude as Gman says lol,JK.

you get UCC.exe with the RO sdk or the dedicated server edition of ro.

To get it to run you additionally need to add steam.dll of your steam folder in your red orchestra system folder.

See this is what kills me, just when I think I am making some progress; someone makes a post like this and gets me all confused again, LOL.:confused::D

Ok so I must have the UCC.exe cuz I got the sdk and a server. So I just need to drop the steam.dll in the system foldr? No sub-folder?
[URL="http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24836"]
Care to take a stab at this thread? http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24836

Upvote 0
LOL, Im coming to Illinois to visit some family. Give me your address....just kidding.

1. Is UCC.exe in your system folder? If yes, continue, otherwise search your entire computer for it and put it in there.

2. Get a map from Level Design (Beta)- I chose Moscow-Beta1 for an example. Download it to somewhere you can work with it. i.e. c:\working\moscow\moscow_beta1.rom (Note: You may have to create the folder structure.)

http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34

3. When you get the file look at its contents. For instance, Moscow comes with RO-Moscow_beta1.rom and thats it.

4. Go to "Start", "Run", and type "CMD". This give you your command prompt. Type "CD" for change directory, and type or copy and paste the link to that system folder. i.e. cd C:\Games\steamapps\common\red orchestra\System and press enter.

5. Type ucc compress c:\folder moscow is at\moscow_beta1.rom

6. You should now see "moscow_beta1.rom.uz2" in the same folder as moscow_beta1.rom. Another note, you cant have spaces in your strings. The above example wouldnt work because of folder moscow, you would have to name your folder "folder_moscow".

If it doesnt work, let us know what it says.

Ok I downloaded arad-sh4 it is in a zip file. I did as you said, I am working here

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\Server Info\Working maps\RO-Arad-SH-4.zip

I extracted the files and I have this

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\Server Info\Working maps\RO-Arad-SH-4

and this

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\Server Info\Working maps\RO-Arad-SH-4.zip

in my folder.

When I click on these folders I get to the part that has the .rom of the map, but I can't open them. It says windows cannot open this file.

When I downloaded the map it was in a zip file.

Upvote 0