• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Moar guns. (ported from ro2 and rising storm)

gimpy117

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 6, 2011
Michigan
IRL the gorillas (vietcong) used many old WWII guns such as the type 38, k98, ppsh43, mp40,type 99,type 100, stg 44, p38, c96, m1895 nagant, G41, SVT-40, type 99 LMG, MG-34, MG-42,Type 96, f-1 grenade, and type 14 nambu

as you might notice, all of the mentioned guns were lovingly re-created in previous versions of the game. I was happy the see the mosin nagant rifle and DP-28 (a really solid rifle and familiar 2-3 shot burst MG) included in the game, but,I feel, given the current resources, it would be very easy to port these guns into the game as weapons available to the guerrillas. I for one want my type 96 back

Last edited:
While the weapons you mentioned did exist in the Vietnam war, the rates at which they were used were quite limited. The majority of weapons used by the NVA and Vietcong were Soviet-bloc weapons or French captures.

I would support implementing these weapons, but rather as battlefield pickups or unlockable items for classes (e.g., A level 50 player can choose a Type 14 Nambu as an alternative secondary weapon to the TT-33). However, implementing all of these weapons as standard selectable weapons would definitely ruin the immersion factor of the game, and possibly weapon balance as well. Can you imagine playing against a Vietcong team that was only armed with WW2 german weapons? That would unrealistic and severely hurt weapon balance (MG42 >>> M60).

Upvote 0
I was just hopping on the forums to make a simliar thread. Now one already exists I shall bring some reference for the existance of German weapons during the Vietnam War.

This site gives a detailed report with wartime footage of German guns being used in the war.
https://wwiiafterwwii.wordpress.com/2015/07/10/wwii-german-weapons-during-the-vietnam-war/

The Americans also utilized more varied assault weapons, not just the M16A1 and the M14.
This here site shows this quite well:
http://www.militaryfactory.com/smallarms/vietnam-war-guns.asp

Of course you may also check out the long list over at Wikipedia's:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weapons_of_the_Vietnam_War#Submachine_guns

Which shows also Japanese weapons were used.

Adding more guns would allow to make the Viet Cong and the NVA to be different in their play style. The NVA being better equipped with more modern weapons whilst the guerilla forces are equipped with weapons from Germany, France, Japan and old Soviet ones.

Upvote 0
smgunsftw;n2296919 said:
While the weapons you mentioned did exist in the Vietnam war, the rates at which they were used were quite limited.

This quote is funny because the same could be said about the Vietnamese shot gun thats currently in game. It virtually didn't exist for the VC. WW2/French Indochina weapons would be pretty common among VC, especially if the map is set during the early years of the war (65 - 67)

Upvote 0
smgunsftw;n2296919 said:
While the weapons you mentioned did exist in the Vietnam war, the rates at which they were used were quite limited.
RPG-7 was also used in limited numbers, majority of Soviet supplied AT weapons being RPG-2's. Also, just like JokersWarPig pointed out, the break-action shotgun used by VC wasn't used.

So, using the "only limited use" argument is quite unfitting.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
just a word of warning, its fraught to use such wikipedia & list, clickbait websites as references & sources, just a quick cursory glance through and I spotted a handfull of quite blatant errors. i.e citing the ParkerHale M82 as being a weapon of the Vietnam war, & also including a picture of the M40a1, despite them both being anachronistic for that era.

as for weapons I'd love to see more included in game, as long as they can be sensibly justified; i.e like Gyrojet rocket pistols, Atomic bombs & chit ;)

Upvote 0
cronogr;n2297522 said:
More guns means more bugs ! They struggle to fix the game as it is... if they introduce more things in the game they will never fix it

isn't it basically the same engine? all those guns have passed though their own long development cycle, and, depending on engine differences, should be plug and play

but I have heard stories definitely of at least the MP40 used in Vietnam, and US troops capturing them for close quarters work since they were more handy than the M16. I remember a gun collector recounting a story where an MP40 was actually given to another US grunt heading in since they wouldn't let the guy take the MP40 into the country...so he essentially gave it to a guy he met telling him it had served him well and good luck

Last edited:
Upvote 0
gimpy117;n2296830 said:
type 38, type 99,type 100, type 99 LMG, Type 96, type 14 Nambu.

Japanese guns were very rare amongst guerrillas by the time of the North/South divide, no one was making ammunition for them and their stocks had been dried from the Indochina wars. What little guns the US did find were extremely crude conversions to Russian cartridges. I don't think they should make it.

However the Vz.26 was supplied by China and Czechoslovakia as mil surp, so you can grab your type 96 fix with that...

gimpy117;n2296830 said:

Could be very possible, China had large amount of mil-surp by that time and Czechoslovakia was re-forming to a more Soviet standard, both of those countries would have given large amounts of ex-German weaponry and ammunition. There would have also been Soivet stockpiles that they were looking to give out, I'd love for a Kr-98k with the Check 25 round magazine for ****s and giggles!

gimpy117;n2296830 said:
MG-34, MG-42

I don't recall ever seeing the MG-42 is Vietnamese forces, both sides of Germany would have gobbled up the MG-42 platforms for modernization and re-armament.

The MG-34 on the other had was quite popular in Vietnam IIRC, especially amongst gun runners, as it was lighter than the DhsK but still provided an effective AA platform.

gimpy117;n2296830 said:
ppsh43, mp40

You mean the PPs-43? Regardless, yeah the PPS platform was very popular amongst Veitnamese forces, and modernised varients from China and Vietnam were a common sight.

The MP-40 was a very popular gun with both sides of the grid, it's odd that it wasn't included, if the South are to be included, the MP-40 would have been a must.

gimpy117;n2296830 said:
stg 44, p38,

The STG-44 wasn't a popular platform with any country besides parts of the Balkans because of it's unique cartridge, the STG was rare at best in Vietnam.

gimpy117;n2296830 said:
G41, SVT-40

These guns were rare enough in WW2 and would have been as common as hens teeth in Vietnam, especially the G41.

gimpy117;n2296830 said:
m1895 nagant

I know there have been a few silenced versions captured by saboteurs and tunnelers in the CIA museum, but I don't see any use in front-line use. If TWI and co. wish to add a "Tunnel rat" class, this would be a choice for Vietnam, but as of right now, I don't think it'd be a viable choice.

gimpy117;n2296830 said:
f-1 grenade

IIRC, a Vietnamese dude posted on this forum regarding the F1 grenades, he said that the only units to get the F1 were SF/anti-SF forces in the NVA, and that the Chinese sticks were by far the most common.

So it's inclusion wouldn't be inauthentic, we just don't have the right divisions for them right now.

There are a few more WW2 weapons which would be pretty sweet to get in.

- Vz.26 Provided by the Czech and Chinese, popular amongst Viet Minh veterans
- Bar M1918A1, used by the South Vietnamese forces.
- M1 carbine, popular within the ARVN and US recon forces.
- Owen, used by the ANZAC's until it's full replacement by the AR-15/M16 platforms.
- M1919A6 Used by the US and ARVN.
- The Thompson sub-machine gun family was used by all factions of the war!

Last edited:
Upvote 0