• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

MLAA/FXAA are inferior to traditional AA in RO2

I remember playing a game back in the day, and you could force MLAA in the console, and it didn't support MSAA at all, or anything of the like, just a cheap look-alike that never worked properly, and when forcing MLAA my frame rate went from 120 to 15.

Also, note guys: When using the MSAA you can go into windowed with alt+enter if you need to change any settings and window back into fullscreen. For some reason the settings page shows up properly when in windowed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
We spent a LOT of time working on getting standard anti-aliasing working properly, and discovered the same thing that all over UE3 devs using DX9 discovered, with the way the deferred rendering works in the engine you get artifacts around objects in the game world. In this picture you posted:

http://i.imgur.com/qr3l4.jpg

If you look at the bolt on the rifle, and then just right of that you can clearly see the white outline artifacts. In that image they aren't too bad, but they can get MUCH MUCH worse depending on the scene (where sometimes a lot of objects have a thick white or thick black outline).

As such that is why we went with FXAA, MSAA. In the future if we upgrade to DX11, then it will be possible to do standard AA without these side effects.

Reactions: DoktorFrost
Upvote 0
We spent a LOT of time working on getting standard anti-aliasing working properly, and discovered the same thing that all over UE3 devs using DX9 discovered, with the way the deferred rendering works in the engine you get artifacts around objects in the game world. In this picture you posted:

[url]http://i.imgur.com/qr3l4.jpg[/URL]

If you look at the bolt on the rifle, and then just right of that you can clearly see the white outline artifacts. In that image they aren't too bad, but they can get MUCH MUCH worse depending on the scene (where sometimes a lot of objects have a thick white or thick black outline).

As such that is why we went with FXAA, MSAA. In the future if we upgrade to DX11, then it will be possible to do standard AA without these side effects.

I do notice that, first time I've seen that. Very interesting. I have my AA forced right now, and I'm going to be testing it out from now on. I did notice a bit of increase in frame rate though, Jaeger. About 15-20, possibly more.

Another thing to note is... I turned off my Steam overlay in-game and it literally boosted my FPS by about 30 in some scenarios. Can you guys look into this?

I did extensive testing, btw. This wasn't just a "LOL WOW I MUST TRY THAT" and turns it off, enters one empty server and notices an increase without any playtesting.

It did actually help quite a bit in almost all scenarios, most notably Pavlov's House(?) I think that's the name of the map... With all the apartments in an open area. And Commisar's House, when looking toward the snow field right out of Russian spawn drastically increased performance from about 22-25 FPS all the way up to 45-50 on a full 64 man server.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0

http://i.imgur.com/qr3l4.jpg

Hey, I'm using MLAA ingame, and still see those outline artifacts.

Upvote 0
I am also in favor of making conventional AA optional in the video settings screen.

I tried the forced aa via nvidia inspector and it looks fine to me.

I get a very marginal increase in fps on my system. (about 3 - 10 fps. Looking down the road on pavlov

Last edited:
Upvote 0

http://i.imgur.com/qr3l4.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/qr3l4.jpg

I force 8 x CSAA and don't get any white lines around objects, it looks loads better and my frame rates are higher. The reason, I think, FXAA was chosen was performance and I for one would like the choice. Or at least be able to see the options screens if I choose to force whatever AA I want.

Having forced CSAA in other UE3 games without problems I feel this must be possible.

Ta

Sal

Last edited:
Upvote 0
From what I've seen running 8xQ Multisampling, any of the graphical "ugliness" is minimal at best, and the game feels far "smoother" than with any of the in-game AA options. The occasional jerkiness I would get with any of the FXAA/MLAA modes is gone, and the picture looks far better in my opinion.

Obviously TWI had their reasons as outlined by Ramm, but to think it looks like "donkey-dung" is an exaggeration imho; maybe as I keep playing I'll be proven wrong though :D.

Upvote 0
From what I've seen running 8xQ Multisampling, any of the graphical "ugliness" is minimal at best, and the game feels far "smoother" than with any of the in-game AA options. The occasional jerkiness I would get with any of the FXAA/MLAA modes is gone, and the picture looks far better in my opinion.

Obviously TWI had their reasons as outlined by Ramm, but to think it looks like "donkey-dung" is an exaggeration imho; maybe as I keep playing I'll be proven wrong though :D.

It has one nasty side effect though. Sometimes that white outline artifect that he was talking about will basically... Outline enemy players for you. I seen it happen few times when I was trying out 8x CSAA. That would affect the gameplay way too much.

Upvote 0
It has one nasty side effect though. Sometimes that white outline artifect that he was talking about will basically... Outline enemy players for you. I seen it happen few times when I was trying out 8x CSAA. That would affect the gameplay way too much.
ahh, that's why the menu's are screwy when you force MSAA. that way we're forced to play with FXAA/MLAA ... it's all making sense now.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0