• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

MLAA/FXAA are inferior to traditional AA in RO2

Upvote 0
Guys, try injecting SMAA. It's the best.

<a href="http://mrhaandi.blogspot.com.br/p/injectsmaa.html" target="_blank">http://mrhaandi.blogspot.com.br/p/injectsmaa.html

D3D9 files go in:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\red orchestra 2\Binaries\Win32

You can configure Low, Medium, High and Ultra in the Injector file.

Keys
Pause: Enable/Disable SMAA
Print Screen: Screenshot

OFF
ON
SMAA is great, only thing that keeps me from using it is onscreen overlays such as evga precision don't work, and i need it ;)

what i would like to know is, why can ati cards force MSAA and work properly and NV cards can't? Dev's?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just tried the SMAA "ultra" preset this morning, fps hit was pretty minor even in 64 man servers ( keep in mind i only tried apartments / station and i have a stock clocked gtx570 + i5 2500k @ 4.5ghz )

I play with a 125fps cap and my framerate most of the time was 80-90fps, minimum was around 70 ( yea game runs much better post GOTY update )

Image quality wise, this injector is currently your best bet, ingame FXAA is very blurry even on the low setting, no AA at all gives you a very sharp picture but also lots of jaggies, SMAA provides a sharp picture ( i can literally shoot @ a tiny pixel with no problems hitting it ) but it also gets rid of most jaggies at the same time, i highly recommend this tweak

Here are the rest of my settings for reference http://steamcommunity.com/id/SoFGR/screenshot/577835582171836899

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've ditched MLAA and turned it off. All in game AA is off. Instead I use downsampling from 2560x1600 to 1920x1200.

Not much jaggies, however a much clearer picture which makes it easier pixel hunting distant targets.

On AMD cards you can do this using the AMDDownsamplingGui_0.2 to add a custom resolution (max your card can do) and then downsample it to fit on your screen.

I use this in all my games now, I cant stand post process AA blurriness no matter how minor.

Upvote 0
What I don't undestand is why driver-enforced SSAA still causes the bright outline errors, it should just render the complete image at a higher resolution and then downsample it to the display resolution.
The best thing to do would be to implement a native downsampling setting into the game. It would work with cards from both manufacturers and the current gen cards are fast enough to render very playable results.

Please, Tripwire?:)

Upvote 0
I tried forcing AA in game using this Nvidia inspector tool last year when RO2 first came out, and it worked like a charm.
I came back to RO2 after a year break and this program doesn't seem to do the trick any more although it's the same machine. After forcing AA, I can still see jagged edges everywhere. This kinda makes it hard to distinguish enemies from far distance.
Can anyone help me on this?
Without AA, it annoys me so much that I can't really concentrate on the gameplay.
Anyone has the same problem? Please help.

Upvote 0
I tried forcing AA in game using this Nvidia inspector tool last year when RO2 first came out, and it worked like a charm.
I came back to RO2 after a year break and this program doesn't seem to do the trick any more although it's the same machine. After forcing AA, I can still see jagged edges everywhere. This kinda makes it hard to distinguish enemies from far distance.
Without AA, it annoys me so much that I can't really concentrate on the gameplay.

Try using SweetFX or SMAA injector

Upvote 0

I tried the nVidia Inspector fix and it has ZERO control and effect on the Game as well as nVidia Control Panel. It must have been patched out as the ONLY control of Video in this game now is in-game settings, the rest are blocked for me!

As many have told me..DOWNSAMPLING works for me. Created a few new Resolutions without messing with lower timings and chose the new higher res in game and BINGO..looks mostly all AAed now and leaves and edges have little or NO distracting shimmering!
2880x1800 for my Native old 24" 1920x1200 Dell Screen with post processing and occusion lowered. This shut down most of those annoying shimmering distance and edges jaggies with my 780. Feel it is fixed for me! SLAP HAPPY CAMPER!

Last edited:
Upvote 0