• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

MLAA/FXAA are inferior to traditional AA in RO2

I'm another user who definitely prefers forcing AA via my NVIDIA control panel. I'm running dual GTX 580s, and can easily run 16XCSAA with 2XSSAA, and it is a huge improvement over the jaggy AA that the game includes. I have noticed the slight white outline on certain objects when doing so, but it's definitely worth the trade-off - a couple of tiny white outlines versus every line in the distance crawling with jaggies? It's a no brainer, which is why I'm hoping the devs notice a trend here in this thread -- those who have forced AA won't go back to the ugly in-game AA.

Now if only I could see the settings and squad select screen... thanks for the tip about alt+entering, will have to give that a shot.

Upvote 0
I turned the ingame AA off and use 8xMSAA and i have to say the picture is ALOT better and very crisp, before i always used FXAA high but now when you see the difference its huge... the white outlines are minimal ingame and you barely notice them (me atleast)

[url]http://img7.imagebanana.com/img/y4og2nc4/fxaa.png[/URL]

this is FXAA High.. a blurry mess

this is 8xmsaa

[url]http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/540654246598918158/FEF988CC6AD7E69C54B30F9880CEDDBA8F79A778/[/URL]

much sharper edges

I do not know why but I prefer the first picture.....maybe you should make a comparison of the same screenshot.....

Upvote 0
please tell us why we as the owners and users can't have the say and option of using traditional AA? we paid for it we want AA just give it to us, is that so hard?:confused:

Traditional AA looks like "donkey dung" on a deferred rendering engine. It results in things getting a white outline and more jagginess depending on the situation.

That is why we opted to use AA methods that works with the way the engine works. FXAA takes little performance hit but looks a worse, MLAA looks better but takes a bigger performance hit. That is why they are set up in the scale that they are.

Upvote 0
I agree forcing AA through Nvidia control panel along with 16x AF and the game looks much more detailed. The grain of the wood & even buildings look much cleaner and pronounced. I did notice a little of the white outline but giving what I get from forcing AA through Nvidia CP it looks alot better. I hope they can do something about allowing it in game. The other AA used within the game does seem to blur everything like a full screen blur effect kinda of what the PS3 does and just washes out all the detail with-in the game.

Upvote 0
Yeah the AA in game looks terrible. Ive almost given up theres so many things wrong. And the terrible AA and the messed up menus when you force the good looking AA is just one of the last straws.

This is the weirdest thing, why the hell would using proper AA break some menus but not others? It isn't like in-game menus work and main menus do or anything either, its a mix!

Upvote 0
This is the weirdest thing, why the hell would using proper AA break some menus but not others? It isn't like in-game menus work and main menus do or anything either, its a mix!

It's not the AA that's disabling the menu. It's when you use nvidia inspector to change the AA compatibility mode. That's what's causing your menu to go blank.

Try it, just change that AA compability mode without actually forcing AA on.

Upvote 0
We spent a LOT of time working on getting standard anti-aliasing working properly, and discovered the same thing that all over UE3 devs using DX9 discovered, with the way the deferred rendering works in the engine you get artifacts around objects in the game world....

Is there any chance you guys could fix the menus for those of us who want to run CSAA despite the artifacts? Obviously not a tier one issue, but it would be nice in the next couple of months.

Upvote 0