• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

MLAA/FXAA are inferior to traditional AA in RO2

SGSSAA = Sparse Grid Super Sampling AA = Best Image quality known to man, also the most taxing. Google it, there are a number of articles on it and benchies. Here's an early one, http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,...igher-quality-plus-Nvidia-interview/Practice/ . It was discovered by pure accident due to a bug in a Nvidia driver release about a year or so ago.
Yes, I know, that is why I was asking about it, I was wondering if the default UE3 flag would work well or if a new one needs to be found. [which I do not know how to do :(]

As for this blurry AA thing being a phase...its the future. Traditional AA takes up memory and time. Post Processed and blurred AA is not new, but if we continue to push shader tech it will mature and get better. It's going to be the standard on consoles due to this, FXAA in particular has gotten a lot of attention from the console devs.
Maybe I'm just the only person who doesn't like playing as someone who needs glasses in every game.

Upvote 0
Yes, I know, that is why I was asking about it, I was wondering if the default UE3 flag would work well or if a new one needs to be found. [which I do not know how to do :(]

Maybe I'm just the only person who doesn't like playing as someone who needs glasses in every game.

As for SGSSAA...I would assume that as long as you are using the ME/ME2 flag it will work, SGSSAA just requires some form of AA to be used.

As for the comment on the games current shader based AA - I hate it myself. I hated it it GRAW, GRAW 2, Stalker SHOC, Stalker CS, GTA4, Mafia 2, Metro 2033...I can't think of any others that I have encountered it in...I am sure there are a few. If it gets better, good, but till then at least let me use multisampling regardless if you think it looks like donkey-dung.

Upvote 0
Yep, traditional AA looks much better. I just forced AA with NVCP and it works. Yes, there are some white lines around players arms and/or weapon sometimes, but game looks, performs and feels so much better. No FPS lag during artillery, more FPS and so easy to spot enemies at distance.

About "missing-weapon/squad-selection-screen". When I run RO with forced AA for the first time weapon selection screen was fine. Now it's not. Now I can't go back to MLAA/FXAA anymore...

Upvote 0
Traditional AA looks like "donkey dung" on a deferred rendering engine. It results in things getting a white outline and more jagginess depending on the situation.

That is why we opted to use AA methods that works with the way the engine works. FXAA takes little performance hit but looks a worse, MLAA looks better but takes a bigger performance hit. That is why they are set up in the scale that they are.

I think FXAA and MLAA as an option is fine alternative, but for those of us with high end systems I think CSAA should be an option because it simply looks better in this game.

Upvote 0
Agreed - I've used NVIDIA Inspector to force 16xAA and 2x SSAA, and the game's visuals are MASSIVELY improved on my Dual GTX 580s. All the jaggies in the distance seen with the in-game AA disappear entirely, and there's no way I'd play it any other way.

Only problem is that I can't see the squad selection screen, as well as many of the options screens (yet strangely the video options screen still works fine). I beg of the devs to take a look at this problem, it sounds like it'll be a very minor fix, and I'll guaran-damn-tee high end PC owners will want to run the higher, forced AA once they see how much better the game looks. It's most definitely not donkey dung!

Upvote 0
You didn't have TrSSAA (Transparency Super-Sampling) enabled did you? You mentioned that you were able to force it without Nvidia Inspector, try downloading that and upload a picture of your driver settings in it. You driver version most likely has a different flag enabled which while allowing you to enable AA normally, is reducing frames. It may also have a few other flags enabled that traditionally aren't - there are hundreds of flags and setting for different games, some mess thing up if enabled when they shouldn't be. Try sending us a pic of your Nvidia Inspector settings.

my driver are 280.26 latest nvidia drivers

this is how nvidia inspector look:

is it correct? :confused:

however playing a bit more with CSAA I have to agree with yoshiro, depite map looks better and with lass flickers and jaggies.......soldiers imho look uglier, too much sharpe and seem like they are attached to the map and not "living" in it.......

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My Documents/My Games/RedOrchestra2/ROGame/Config/ROIinput.ini

That is the location of the text doc that contains the key bindings. Some of what you want to change is common sense (when you see the doc) some may require a bit of googling. Either way, when you have changed the bindings, right click on the file, select properties, and select "Read-Only" under Attributes.

Made a backup of my ini file and messed around for a while. Screwed it up a few times but I have my settings back now. Strange how setting them in the ini sticks and in-game doesn't...bug maybe?

Thanks again for your help. I do hope TWI listen to their customers and sort this AA thing out. Trouble is, the method they are trying to use is becoming more common and is not very good but is better performance wise for most, but most of us would like the choice and not be forced to make do with it. Developers then use all those fancy effects like blur, bloom, HDR and post processing effects to cover up the jaggies when simply letting us choose to use them or not and let us decide what AA method we want to use. I hate all these fancy effects as for me they add nothing. They are all camera effects anyway and nothing like how the human eye sees things. I have all the effects such as blur and post processing off in the ini and now 4 X MSAA and the game looks fantastic. If I knew how to post a screenie i would.

Strange how some can force AA through their cards CP and others, like me cannot!

Ta

Sal

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have no idea what u guys are fiddling with.

Driver AA works on Nvidia OUT-OF-THE-BOX. Proly on AMD too.
FIRE-AND-FORGET, PLUG'N'PLAY...
Your drivers, provided they are 275+ already come with set AA compatibility bit for RO2.

MSAA and xS work like a charm.
Screenshot can not demonstrate all advantagtes.
And LOD remains only glaring weakness in such picture.

Whether it is really usable is another story.

PS
I never ever use CSAA, but that's just me :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Traditional AA looks like "donkey dung" on a deferred rendering engine.
1st time I started the game I thought AA doesnt work at all (MLAA), only when I tried FXAA and then got back to MLAA I noticed the difference.

Now playing with 2x normal AA and its so much better, while 4x or 8x will simply fry my comp (even more). Which leads me to think that you added those low and confusing AA settings so people wont see what happens when they turn on 8x AA. o_O

Currently playing with those settings (Radeon 6800 series something HD)

Upvote 0
I just tried traditional AA and I agree with tripwire. It looks like crap.
The one they included is better.

If you have a fast system, I think its ok to use both. I turned on x2 with the "High" included and everything looked nicer. Took a FPS hit.

But yeah, its an Unreal Engine issue. Americas Army and BOrderlands have the same AA issue. Makes me wish they used Valves SOurce, but Unreal has its own appeal as well.

Upvote 0
I tried it just now, at first it was looking a bit better.... But i went into spectator mode, inside a house with a few russians all models looked like they didn't have any AA at all and when they went near staircase railing it was all outlined with white and no AA, so i reverted back to original in my settings.

Upvote 0
I am not sure if this is related but could someone say if this is normal:
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/577808216951636320/2DFC9DA5D6959FE43274D6E16D484C89220AA0E1/

I am talking about the wires.
And this one:
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/577808216968123835/EDE9511F39437FF9E5B003AC0F86F12C9DACAAA4/

The roof of the building.

Generally I feel that stuff that is somewhat far away looks jagged/blocky. Perhaps it is supposed to be like that or is it just my rig.
I have AMD 4890 and I use MLAA ultra, cos FXAA looks kinda bad and blurry.

Upvote 0
I am not sure if this is related but could someone say if this is normal:
[url]http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/577808216951636320/2DFC9DA5D6959FE43274D6E16D484C89220AA0E1/[/URL]

I am talking about the wires.
And this one:
[url]http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/577808216968123835/EDE9511F39437FF9E5B003AC0F86F12C9DACAAA4/[/URL]

The roof of the building.

Generally I feel that stuff that is somewhat far away looks jagged/blocky. Perhaps it is supposed to be like that or is it just my rig.
I have AMD 4890 and I use MLAA ultra, cos FXAA looks kinda bad and blurry.

I dont know about the CARD your using, but in my opinion its not normal

Upvote 0