• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

MLAA/FXAA are inferior to traditional AA in RO2

Problem is effects like DOF and bloom ruin the effect anywhere but within a few feet of your immediate vicinity.

I've been playing with AA off and I honestly can't see the benefit in using any of the offered modes.

That is why you, and everyone else, should use good 'ol fashion MSAA. It works with all the other bells and whistles, gives better frames, and look damn fine. When maxed, RO2 is quite the beauty. Unfortunately that is damn near impossible to see with that shader based crap smeared all over it (FXAA/MLAA).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks so much for this! :is2:

ps. This also, improved my fps quite a bit, and im running it on 16xq AA

*edit* omg seriously I can thank you enough for this, having 16x AA is like a must for me, the default (ultra) aa in game made everything in the distance all flickery.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It looks nice!

A couple questions?

1) What card are you using?

2) Do you run into the "missing-weapon/squad-selection-screen" issue?

3) What driver version are you using and what is your OS?

Gtx 570

last nvidia driver on win7 64bit ( I choose the " deny every application settings" on AA mode and then 4, moreover i chose 16 anisotropy)

yes I have the missing problem and I ask trpiwire to fix it because now the game is relly graphically amazing ;)

Anistropy 16x however is a huge weight on performance.....i don't know if it's normal or because the game is already using 16x anisotrpoy as diplayed in the last patch changelog? (however with aniso forced game look terribly better)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you very much for this Spank. I have used your instructions and am now playing with 4 x MSAA. I have spent hours trying to get AA to work in RO2 with no luck. Your tip took 2 mins and the result is amazing.

I really don't see what Yoshiro means in his statement. I see no white lines or donkey dungness lol and I am getting smoother frame rates with better graphics. Its a win win situation and I am begging TWI look into this and implement MSAA and CSAA into the game. Or at least make it so we can force these modes with our CP or the method Spank gave us without any problems such as the missing screens.

I can see the weapon and spawn screen but not the options screens for video, audio and controls which sucks.

Ta

Sal

Upvote 0
I can't find the AA Compatibility menu anywhere.. what exactly am I missing here?

I did some googling on it - redownload Nvidia Inspector, but make sure to keep ALL the files that are unrar'd/extracted in the same folder, then run the exe from that folder. Specifically there are two text files that need to be kept with the exe.

Last edited:
Reactions: Garabaldi
Upvote 0
I did some googling on it - redownload Nvidia Inspector, but make sure to keep ALL the files that are unrar'd/extracted in the same folder, then run the exe from that folder.

Thanks!

Actually I just came back to edit my post because I thought to myself, "Well, maybe those other files in that .rar exist for a reason.." and wanted to erase all traces of my own ineptitude.

But now it's quoted for all to see! Blast! :D

Upvote 0
Since the latest update my controls for melee/alt fire and use/give ammo wont save. After a new map loads or I shut down RO2 they go back to default. Since doing Spanks AA fix thing I cant see my control options. Does anyone know how to change them in the ini. file? i like LeftAlt as the use and mouse 5 as the alt fire/melee.

Also is there a way to have crouch as a held key rather than toggle?

Thanks in advance.

Ta

Sal

Upvote 0
Since the latest update my controls for melee/alt fire and use/give ammo wont save. After a new map loads or I shut down RO2 they go back to default. Since doing Spanks AA fix thing I cant see my control options. Does anyone know how to change them in the ini. file? i like LeftAlt as the use and mouse 5 as the alt fire/melee.

Thanks in advance.

Ta

Sal

My Documents/My Games/RedOrchestra2/ROGame/Config/ROIinput.ini

That is the location of the text doc that contains the key bindings. Some of what you want to change is common sense (when you see the doc) some may require a bit of googling. Either way, when you have changed the bindings, right click on the file, select properties, and select "Read-Only" under Attributes.

Upvote 0

Thanks in advance.

Ta

Sal

Perhaps try the ROInput.ini in your Documents/My Games/RedOrchestra2/ROGame/Config folder. There's also the same .ini in the UnrealEngine3 folder in your Documents directory and the installation directory itself if I recall correctly. Not sure which one of those (if any) you have to edit to rebind your controls.

Also, like you, except for video options, my Game/Audio/Controls/Input menus have all become blank screens with no options to speak of after using this workaround for AA.

Upvote 0
however csaa or msaa give frame drop on rig, i don't know why you can actually gain fps.... :confused:

You didn't have TrSSAA (Transparency Super-Sampling) enabled did you? You mentioned that you were able to force it without Nvidia Inspector, try downloading that and upload a picture of your driver settings in it. You driver version most likely has a different flag enabled which while allowing you to enable AA normally, is reducing frames. It may also have a few other flags enabled that traditionally aren't - there are hundreds of flags and setting for different games, some mess thing up if enabled when they shouldn't be. Try sending us a pic of your Nvidia Inspector settings.

Upvote 0
This is a actually much better, not sure about performance difference I always was around 40-60 fps, but the game looks a lot better.

I agree, but you gotta tell Yosh and the rest of TWI that cuz they think it looks like "donkey dung" in comparison to FXAA/MLAA.

In all seriousness, those that opt to use MSAA over FXAA/MLAA will have an advantage at distant engagements - playing prone on Station is completely different, you can see down the entire track with complete clarity.

Upvote 0
Note: this is for Nvida cards only, hopefully a fix pops up for team red in the near future.

Some of you may like the new shader implemented AA modes, after all they leave a small memory footprint, offer lightning fast "AA", and better frames in comparison to traditional MSAA/SSAA/FSAA/CSAA...some of you may not like them.

If you have a Nvidia card you may have tried to force AA manually via the NVCP, only to find out that nothing happens. In order to force any type of AA of your choosing you will need one thing, Nvidia Inspector.

1. Open your Nvidia Control Panel and select the Manage 3D Settings tab.
2. Click the Program Settings tab.
3. Click Add. Now navigate to your RO2 install directory and add the games .exe (e.g. C:/Program Files/Steam/SteamApps/Common/RedOrchestra2Beta/Binaries/Win32/ROgame.exe)
4. Once the profile is added, manually change a setting (e.g. under "AntiAilising - Transparency"...change it to "Multisample"). The key is to manually change a setting so it is in bold and black. A manually changed setting is needed to create a modified profile which will later be accessed in Nvidia Inspector.
5. Click Apply the settings and exit NVCP.

...Now...

1. Download Nvidia Inspector
2. Install it.
3. Open it and click the small Driver Profile Settings button, it appears as two crossed tools icon on the right hand side directly after the driver version text.
4. Once to "Profile Settings" menu appears, click on the "User Modified Profiles" button on the top, the icon for it is a house.
5. Select the Red Orchestra 2 profile.
6. Click on AntiAilising Compatibility (third option in the menu), a drop down menu should appear, select 0x080100c5 (Mass Effect I, Mass Effect II).
7. Further down is AntiAilising Mode, click on that and select Override Any Application setting.
8. There are three options/settings directly below the AntiAilising Mode button, you have your choice as to what to use. Unless you know what you are doing, stick with CSAA and MSAA*.
9. Click apply in the top right hand corner.

*Avoid "SuperSampling" and "Combined Modes" unless you have vram from future as they rely blowing the picture resolution up by 2x/4x/etc and then downsample the image to rid unwanted jaggies - it looks nice, but we invented MSAA for a reason...

Lastly...you need to have FXAA/MLAA off ingame in order to use this properly.

Screenshots on Ultra with 8xCSAA for proof

[url]http://i.imgur.com/w01nP.jpg[/URL]

[url]http://i.imgur.com/qr3l4.jpg[/URL]

[url]http://i.imgur.com/qzGA3.jpg[/URL]

Edit: For the record I want to state that not only does the game look better with traditional AA, but it also performs better on my system in comparison to both FXAA and MLAA.

There unfortunately is one issue with this method currently and that is the squad selection screen and the weapon selection screen - they both disappear when you force AA (see this thread for image examples - [url]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=58309&highlight=weapon+selection[/URL]). If anyone at TWI are listening, please fix this - this is an extremely simple problem. Do not make us live with MLAA or FXAA - they are poor choices in comparison.

Edit: Here is a thread with some comparison shots, note the FPS increase with CSAA vs MLAA

Great post mate and I hope TW sort the issues with the menu out.

I was only thinking last night how much the 'dirty' AA modes look inferior compared to traditional FSAA - objects in the distance still look jaggy with MLAA.

Upvote 0
With the current AA options in the game the entire scene flickers and jaggies around when zooming or moving the mouse. It is hard to make out a soldier in a dark window from the other pixels flickering all around him!

I have to agree almost to the point that the game looks somewhat ugly cos it is so flickery and jagged.

Unfortunately I have AMD card and I have not yet been able to find settings to make the game look more sharp.

Upvote 0
Anyone have any idea about SGSSAA?

Hopefully this blurry AA crud is just a phase developers are going through, having to find workarounds is just annoying.

SGSSAA = Sparse Grid Super Sampling AA = Best Image quality known to man, also the most taxing. Google it, there are a number of articles on it and benchies. Here's an early one, http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,...igher-quality-plus-Nvidia-interview/Practice/ . It was discovered by pure accident due to a bug in a Nvidia driver release about a year or so ago.

As for this blurry AA thing being a phase...its the future. Traditional AA takes up memory and time. Post Processed and blurred AA is not new, but if we continue to push shader tech it will mature and get better. It's going to be the standard on consoles due to this, FXAA in particular has gotten a lot of attention from the console devs.

Upvote 0
I have to agree almost to the point that the game looks somewhat ugly cos it is so flickery and jagged.

Unfortunately I have AMD card and I have not yet been able to find settings to make the game look more sharp.

IIRC, with most UE3 based games and ATI/AMD cards, renaming the exe to UT3.exe will allow you to force AA in the CCC. Try turning off auto updates to for RO2 in Steam and rename the exe. If that doesn't work, use Googe (try Force AA Mass Effect Catalyst). With UE3 based games its hit or miss as to whether driver support will allow it to be forced, but I bet that if Nvidia users are able to do it by flicking a "Mass Effect+AA" switch that ATI users can as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0