• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Mixed feelings about bullet penetration?

Upvote 0
Of course... in the research data table we have about 30 types of material, including brick, flesh, mud, different woods etc, working with the material density and hardness, vs. the round type, velocity, mass. You try finding the BHN of glass or gravel :)

So, yes, it will be realistic.

Mud aye ...

So if you are laying prone on the apex of a small, steep little hill, you will no longer necessarily be safe if you crawl back a foot and get your head under the apex of the hill. An enemy could take aim a few inches below the apex, send the bullet through a foot of mud, and take off your head. Is that why you included mud in your list?

All I know is I'm glad people won't be able to hide behind bulletproof wood fences and shoot out between the vertical fence boards.

Upvote 0
That's what I've been worried about. That's why I mentioned having a lot of rubble piles. lol A mix of dirt, brick and steel for cover. :eek: As bolt players it would appear we will have one big target painted on us. lol

Well once he starts shooting there's nowhere for him to hide either, so it all works out.

Upvote 0
Well what I want to do is hold up a little white flag until he stops then poke up and shoot him. Better yet, I want to put my helmet on a stick! Get him to keep shooting until he reloads, then he's mine. :D A bolt player should have those options. ;)

Well once he starts shooting there's nowhere for him to hide either, so it all works out.

Upvote 0
Well what I want to do is hold up a little white flag until he stops then poke up and shoot him. Better yet, I want to put my helmet on a stick! Get him to keep shooting until he reloads, then he's mine. :D A bolt player should have those options. ;)

actually, I do remember having a game of hide-and-go-shoot with a sniper on Arad Real Forests....and he had me cornered in a house, and had found the perfect, tank supported position. I decided to cap the village...but I needed something to keep him busy...

I then realized I had accidentally chosen bolt instead of smg. I attached my bayonet, and then went over to a window, and began jabbing at it. Sure enough, the sniper shot any slight movement, so I had him blasting half the windows in the village, thinking he was chasing after me; I was really below the windows, just jabbing my bayonet! It was hilarious, and surprisingly effective! xD

Reactions: DiedTrying
Upvote 0
I like the idea of bullet penetration, but on the other hand it could get ugly if people use it like nade spam and spray areas of the map that they know people are going to be in even before they see them.

That's the only problem with penetration in games - the map is the same every time and players will learn where to spray through the walls to get free kills without even seeing the enemies.

I would think that this would be kept in check by realistic ammo counts and not knowing whether you were actually killing anyone.

Upvote 0
Nice! :D I had a few times where I've been pinned down by a sniper. I used the end of my weapon to get him to fire and then I escaped. lol It's worked a few times.

actually, I do remember having a game of hide-and-go-shoot with a sniper on Arad Real Forests....and he had me cornered in a house, and had found the perfect, tank supported position. I decided to cap the village...but I needed something to keep him busy...

I then realized I had accidentally chosen bolt instead of smg. I attached my bayonet, and then went over to a window, and began jabbing at it. Sure enough, the sniper shot any slight movement, so I had him blasting half the windows in the village, thinking he was chasing after me; I was really below the windows, just jabbing my bayonet! It was hilarious, and surprisingly effective! xD

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The penetration by bullets particulary by the size which have been used with rifles is quite good (with the usual "cover"). And I am not worried about Machineguns or weapons beeing "powerfull". As this is what I think a game with a focus on realism should have. Players will only fear weapons if they are deadly and effective.

One thing that I have to think about though is the crossing in penetration from solid cover to "soft" cover. To say it that way when thinking about a situation where a target is hiding behind cover it will usualy not have the same protection everywhere. Buildings or concrete walls thend to have courners, dirt and debris will not always feature the same thickness and such. But particularly the courner of "hard" cover remains a soft spot. Someone standing behind a concrete cover like a pillar might realize that the courner of it can be dangerous when hit. And even if the target is NOT hit the splinters and debris flying around will hurt or even cause serious injuries if they happen to hit the face. In WW2 one of the most frequent injuries was blindness (If I remember correctly). Many times Soldiers would suffer injuries to the eyes by splinters flying around from close hits or explosions particularly explosive bullets (I think they had them back then) would cause some trouble. Objects like bullets with high muzzle velocty can shatter on solid objects and thus as well cause injuries. This is just a usual bullet. I dont want to imagine what happens to a face close to it. Or the eyes for that matter.

superslomobulletkaput.gif

Last edited:
Upvote 0