• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Missing Sniper Features

Missing Sniper Features

• Total voters

SgtThompson

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 15, 2006
As a sniper, there are many things that affect the trajectory of bullets. The major forces that change the trajectory are Gravity, Drag, and Breathing. Gravity naturally pulls the bullet to the ground. Drag is caused by several factors as well (some won't be feasible in-game). Difference in termperature, barometric pressure, humidity, and wind push the bullet around on its way to the target.

Of the real-world factors that play their part, Gravity, Breathing, and time of flight are the most feasible in the game world.

A few interesting things to add would be improvements to breathing, addition of wind, and accurate time of flight (if it isn't already there).

Normal breathing should be around a 5-7 second cycle. 2-3 seconds to breath in and out, 3-4 seconds in between. A button to hold your breath for 8 seconds would be a nice addition as well.

Wind would greatly enhance the sniping experience. Wind direction could vary per map as well as wind velocity. This could also apply to tank shells (to a certain extent). Generally, a 5mph horizontal wind will move a round around 3in at 300m and 7.5in at 500m. 5mph diagonal wind moves the bullet roughly 1.3in at 300m and 3.8in at 500m. This is just an example of course, in-game the adjustments do not need to be precise. It just shows how interesting the ballistics can be.

If time of flight isn't already calculated, it could also make sniping more interesting, however, I'm not sure if it would be worth the extra load unless shots could be taken between 400-1000m. For example, a 7.62mm round takes around 1 second to hit its target at 700m and 1.8 seconds at 1000 yards. This may or may not be fun in the end because people tend to run all over the place in games and it may just end up being frustrating. That, and I'm sure lag already plays a part.

Another interesting addition could be a vapor trail. Before anyone jumps to conclusions, hear me out. Farcry made snipers look like they were shooting tiny RPGs for bullets and using flashlights for scopes. Vapor trails aren't ridiculously obvious, but they could give the sniper an idea where to place follow-up shots. And, I can't deny, it would look pretty cool.

Hopefully you read most, if not all of this post. If you disagree, please do so in a mature manner. If you agree, let me know. Feel free to add upon these suggestions if you feel you can make them better.

I'd also like to add that after playing the sniper class a bit after writing this, I realize that many of the adjustments needed for long range shots are severely impeded by the fat reticule. These should be much, much thinner.

Here's a look at scope reticule used.
74._reticle_PE_23.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0
At the ranges the combat takes place, all changes suggested are next to useless.

Move along.

10mph horizontal wind at 300m = 5.4 in.
10mph horizontal wind at 500m = 15 in. (over a foot)
20mph horizontal wind at 300m = 10.9 in.
20mph horizontal wind at 500m = 30 in. (2.5 feet)

It makes a difference at range. If the reticule was made thinner, these could really have an impact on the battlefield.

Breathing could easily have an effect as the combat distances IMO.

See, not everyone is unnecessarily negative. I've also noticed that you can't hear yourself breathing. It would be great if we had audio synced up with the rise and fall of the rifle.

If all you play is Danzig, then you're right (mostly). But, some of us like variety.

Upvote 0
SgtThompson said:
Missing Sniper Features

There are no snipers in RO! The guys in Ro are Marksmen they did not have or recieve any sniper training so I do not think any "sniper suggestions" are really worth the effort.

Really since there were pretty few "Sniper rifles" I would think it would be a limited privilege to get one as a marksmen. Its too bad you cant limit the amount of times a marksman can get a scoped rifle like you can with tanks.

Upvote 0
There are no snipers in RO! The guys in Ro are Marksmen they did not have or recieve any sniper training so I do not think any "sniper suggestions" are really worth the effort.

Really since there were pretty few "Sniper rifles" I would think it would be a limited privilege to get one as a marksmen. Its too bad you cant limit the amount of times a marksman can get a scoped rifle like you can with tanks.

First of all, go HERE and read up a bit.

Second, they weren't called snipers. They were called sharpshooters or designated marksmen.

Oh, and...

snip

Last edited:
Upvote 0
More of a question, Is there a way to adjust the scope for range in RO. I seem to remember that I used to be able to adjust the sights on the panzerfaust, but I cant remember what it was that I did. Does this also apply to the sniper rifle? If not, and WWII sights were able to be adjusted, it would be very nice to incorporate.

Also, why are people *****ing about this? You dont want to have to deal with windage, fine, say that. Also, on maps like Berezina, there are some pretty insane distances that snipers engage targets at, so many of these features would be nice. I dont see how the spotter would work in game, there isnt much teamwork as is. Time of flight is already in game. Vapor trails I'm not sure about. I am pretty sure that the powder used in WWII didnt have too much smoke associated with it. There is that shock-wave effect for long ranges that would fill that role, but it would be hard to incorporate, and not mean much to most people.

Upvote 0
Also, why are people *****ing about this? You dont want to have to deal with windage, fine, say that. Also, on maps like Berezina, there are some pretty insane distances that snipers engage targets at, so many of these features would be nice. I dont see how the spotter would work in game, there isnt much teamwork as is. Time of flight is already in game. Vapor trails I'm not sure about. I am pretty sure that the powder used in WWII didnt have too much smoke associated with it. There is that shock-wave effect for long ranges that would fill that role, but it would be hard to incorporate, and not mean much to most people.

Thank you, I am wondering the same thing.

The spotter idea was just tossed in there. I didn't think it would work, but on the off-chance that people liked it, I put it in there. The vapor trail would probably be more of a "cool effect" than useful to most people. I guess the correct term I was looking for was bullet trace, which one person described as...
"A bullet trace is a disturbance of air pressure which causes light to be refracted differently. This is similar to what you see in a shadowgraph or schlieren photography"

It's kind of like the trail you see in F.E.A.R. when you shoot in slo-mo.

Edit: I found a video where you can see it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpSmAlmm7Vc&watch_response

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It would be nice with wind effect but given the fact that the ranges at where the effect of wind is felt the most are too long to engage infantry sized targets effectively, due on screen size and the lack of adjusting sights for range, makes it a superfluous addition to the game in my opinion.

If it was possible to see and engage infantry with the standard rifles/machineguns at ranges above 200 meters then yes, it would be nice with such an addition but since we can't I don't think there is a point in adding wind as a feature.

Upvote 0
Wind would be a good thing to have.
The rest sounds good on paper but if you have played RO for a bit you should notice yourself that they would be next to useless in the game. Kind of like manual camo and tarnnets for Counterstrike. :p Sounds great on paper and gives Zaitsev-fans a stiffy, but in the context of the game these things would be unpractical.

Reactions: Lt_Kettch
Upvote 0