• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Minimized battle chatter.

kakolykia

Oct 17, 2019
There is an option in sound settings, but unlike it title, it doesn't minimize but actually just disables automatic characters quotes.
I just thought it would be great if there was as option that actually make characters quotes less frequent. I don't know how exactly it would work, but here is my idea for instance: when character encounters the trigger, it makes only around 50% chance that quote will be played. Something like that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Agent Pickles
Wouldn't it be counter-intuitive though? Admittedly, it's not as prevalent than in games like Left 4 Dead, but characters' banter actually helps you in the middle of the fight. Telling you when you should be covering someone because he's reloading or bleeding out, when a tough zed spawned and such... And most of the other quotes are activated by players themselves, so besides telling them to stop spamming, I don't know what else you could ask for.

So yeah, I actually don't understand why the option even exists. It could be good for "funny" quotes whenever the characters are chatting with each other over random things. But for actual battle cues, I believe all of them should stay.

Upvote 0
Wouldn't it be counter-intuitive though? Admittedly, it's not as prevalent than in games like Left 4 Dead, but characters' banter actually helps you in the middle of the fight. Telling you when you should be covering someone because he's reloading or bleeding out, when a tough zed spawned and such... And most of the other quotes are activated by players themselves, so besides telling them to stop spamming, I don't know what else you could ask for.

So yeah, I actually don't understand why the option even exists. It could be good for "funny" quotes whenever the characters are chatting with each other over random things. But for actual battle cues, I believe all of them should stay.
Just straight lies.
The audibility of auto responses and voice commands is terrible, that you won't hear any chatter at around 5-7 meters.
So the only queues you will actually see if someone is bleeding out or needs help, is through chat message or barely noticeable in practice icons above the players head, that changes depending on which voice comm they used.

That's why i kept asking tripwire to make voice commands play like in kf1, so if you were at a cut off point the audio would play as if someone is speaking through a radio, which would help more casual players be more aware with the teammate situation if they're asking for something via voice commands.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just straight lies.
The audibility of auto responses and voice commands is terrible, that you won't hear any chatter at around 5-7 meters.
So the only queues you will actually see if someone is bleeding out or needs help, is through chat message or barely noticeable in practice icons above the players head, that changes depending on which voice comm they used.

That's why i kept asking tripwire to make voice commands play like in kf1, so if you were at a cut off point the audio would play as if someone is speaking through a radio, which would help more casual players be more aware with the teammate situation if they're asking for something via voice commands.
...That's a weird way to put it but okay. I mean, that feels almost like aggression when you could have simply said that the intent and purpose isn't fulfilled because the sounds is not clear and/or loud enough. I'm not "lying" that the goal is valuable.

I do agree with your second paragraph though. It should definitely be played for everyone. Especially when all players can hear the Trader Pod just well... So we can assume that all characters (being mercenaries and all) are capable of chatting with each other through walkie-talkies or whatever. That's some comfort all players could use.

Upvote 0
...That's a weird way to put it but okay. I mean, that feels almost like aggression when you could have simply said that the intent and purpose isn't fulfilled because the sounds is not clear and/or loud enough. I'm not "lying" that the goal is valuable.

I do agree with your second paragraph though. It should definitely be played for everyone. Especially when all players can hear the Trader Pod just well... So we can assume that all characters (being mercenaries and all) are capable of chatting with each other through walkie-talkies or whatever. That's some comfort all players could use.
Maybe a bit yes, but i was just pointing out that the so called banter has a very short cut off point, where its no longer audible even if the area is dead silent.
And in the middle of a firefight where you have explosions, weapon fire, zed noises, big zed spawn noises, your own internal screaming because you got stuck on a pole again, chances of you hearing any auto response or someone spamming voice command is slim to none.

But yes my point stands, saying that "characters' banter actually helps you in the middle of the fight" in its current state, is just cap.

If it functioned like a kf1 radio after the cutoff point with a visual indicator of some kind (because games with 5 fosters are a thing), then that would have been useful.

Bonus suggestion is to add "Spotted" into the command wheel, where it would function like Battlefield 2 spot function.
For example if you look at an enemy jet and you trigger the spot command from the wheel, soldier would then use an appropriate auto response and a chat message that it spotted the jet that way of the compass.
Similarly same function could be integrated into kf2, with Maybe an outline glow of the zed that you spotted.
No need to create a seperate bind as it would be present in command wheel so console players would be able to use it, and it saves space on keyboard, so that you wouldn't need a few seperate binds for each big and dangerous medium that you've spotted :D

Upvote 0
I wholeheartedly agree that the current option is worthless. It feels like they had the right idea in mind but not the money to follow through with it. The option should limit the quips but keep the tactical information. I remember the first time I played and I heard the Rev talk about needing a cleaner's convention and while I found it entertaining I also thought, "wow, that's going to get old, fast." They took the time to make that but can't reliably report when someone is reloading?

I'm not entirely sold on the radio idea. I'd like to limit certain communications. If a buddy and I are covering one lane I don't care if someone on another lane is reloading, especially if it covers up the fact that my buddy needs healing. I do want to hear if another squad is displacing and (if I'm a medic) I want to know that when anyone needs healing. I'd rather have too much than not enough, so I'd take a radio over the current setup. Maybe there are enough buttons to toggle through channel 1, 2, 3, or All... or squeeze the options into the wheel but if an emergency exists the last thing you want to do is muck about the channels.

I was really surprised that the command wheel didn't include a "spotted" option. In other games that's the default space in the center of the wheel. Ideally it would be smart enough to spot the skrake, even if it has a team of clots in front of it, so we don't wind up getting spammed with reports of trash zeds. It would be ideal if it could report the difference between zed states, such as whether or not a zed is raging and whether or not a Husk that is about to 'splode. It would also be helpful if the report included information on who seems to be aggroing the zed. So instead of "Matriarch spotted!" it would be "Matriarch attacking SWAT!" I can't count the number of times I've watched players running in opposite directions because the boss changed targets. Being a vocal spectator makes a huge difference but feels like cheating.

I'd also like to see the reports audibly indicating who they're from. "Commando is reloading!" "Commando needs healing!" etc. It won't entirely rid us of miscommunication when there are identical characters playing identical perks, but it's a step in the right direction and would help set the tone for specific but concise communication.

Reactions: kakolykia
Upvote 0

Those alarming quotes may be helpful indeed, but i really tired of the yells when i approach zeds or when i got hit. Because they just are so frequent that they become annoying.
Thanks for your reply anyway.

Upvote 0