• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Minigun dlc versus the Stoner

Barot8

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
So I like the idea of the minigun. What I don't understand is why the fire rate is slower than the Stoner. Granted that players in real life shooting a minigun have to be weightlifters to physically carry a minigun. I also think the minigun has too much recoil (though I haven't tried it at level 25). If you look at film of people or planes firing a minigun it's biggest weakness is how quickly it goes through ammo. I also feel that it needs a bit of a damage buff as the Stoner is a better option between the two weapons. Mind you I think the minigun is fun, but for clearing trash it should do a better job than almost every weapon.

Reactions: Refloxi
Minigun by stats is basically stoner, with difference is that it shoots faster (1200rpm, the lowst irl minigun can go, otherwise its max is a bit over 2000)
And that it has bonus dmg vs bosses.
Recoil is not that terrible, but aiming with it is. If you have crosshair turned on, you have to jump and mid jump press rmb to rev up the minigun and spawn the crosshair

Honestly for their weight, the biggest disadvantage is their dmg type being assault rifle.... which is bloody ineffective against big zeds.

Upvote 0
Actually, the minigun may be one of the best DLC weapon as of yet (along with the riot shield, blunderbuss and mine reconstructor IMO)

To be it feels like a Stoner on steroids. It has a higher RoF and magazine... at the price of being costlier, bulkier and taking longer to reload. One might say that it doesn't do anything that the Stoner can't, but I guess it's part of the Commando meta.

Again, I'm a strong advocate AGAINST total versatility. I don't believe ANY perk should be able to deal with everything with ease. If the minigun isn't great against big zeds, congratulations! That's exactly how it should be. You got grenades to deal with FPs after all.

Now, I would have loved to get the flipside of the Stoner rather than a cranked-up version. Meaning that I would have loved a slower-firing machine gun, with highly-damaging shots and even lower mag size. But beggers can't be choosers I suppose.

Upvote 0
Looking at actual video of the two guns in use makes one long for the mini gun to be a bit more powerful, even against big zeds. As it stands it takes almost an entire magazine to take down a big zed with continuous head shot bursts.
I didn't try the minigun, but the I've tried the stoner. took alot of ammo to takedown a big zed. How does the minigun compare to that?

Upvote 0
Anywhere from 40 to 60 shots if you do it right. Because of recoil I find it not very easy to aim consistently. You have to use it in bursts. At full blast it's disappointing that it instantly doesn't make trash mobs into pink dust.
Agreed. I've purchased all the DLC weapons, and am underwhelmed by the minigun.

This thing should have twice as much ammo, in the gun, and in reserve. It should shoot nearly twice as fast, and it should have increased chance to blow zeds apart. Even if it's not much better than the stoner on big zeds... It should *feel* like a massive upgrade against trash.

Remember when dude unleashed that thing in Predator? He LEVELED a huge swath of jungle... The minigun just doesn't feel like it can do that atm.

Reactions: Refloxi and Barot8
Upvote 0
Totally agreed! I feel like it should be a massive difference. The other thing that might be changed should be the movement speed. If you are using it you should be slowed down to a crawl. There's a KF2 mod using weapons from Turok and I kind of feel that mini gun is a little better (and one block lighter)
Agreed. I've purchased all the DLC weapons, and am underwhelmed by the minigun.

This thing should have twice as much ammo, in the gun, and in reserve. It should shoot nearly twice as fast, and it should have increased chance to blow zeds apart. Even if it's not much better than the stoner on big zeds... It should *feel* like a massive upgrade against trash.

Remember when dude unleashed that thing in Predator? He LEVELED a huge swath of jungle... The minigun just doesn't feel like it can do that at

Reactions: Refloxi
Upvote 0