• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Minecraft

Can I have a little help?
I am trying to figure out a good way to build an underwater base/city.
What are good construction methods, and is there any good ways to add on to it without flooding the whole thing?

I haven't tried, but I would recommend the "Alpha/Survival Single Player" section on the Minecraft.net forums... they have good how-to pages on there.

Upvote 0
So I've been playing the free version for a day or two (through the Minecraft.exe, not the Java app) and I have to say, so far I'm not super impressed. I guess it's mostly the lack of goals (yes, I know you can build stuff, but then what?). I'll give it another try though, as I understand that this game starts kinda slow. I'm not hating on the game, I just don't see the appeal yet. Maybe I never will, maybe I'll do. We'll see.

Is it just me, or do the mobs not make any sound in the free version of Alpha?

Upvote 0
So I've been playing the free version for a day or two (through the Minecraft.exe, not the Java app) and I have to say, so far I'm not super impressed. I guess it's mostly the lack of goals (yes, I know you can build stuff, but then what?). I'll give it another try though, as I understand that this game starts kinda slow. I'm not hating on the game, I just don't see the appeal yet. Maybe I never will, maybe I'll do. We'll see.

The full version is much more fleshed out than the alpha. You can't do much without the ability to craft. If you're not into building there's the whole exploration aspect though I have to admit that's gotten pretty stale for me too. This latest update should make things much more interesting with biomes, new creatures, hell, and whatever else he's adding but I don't think the game is going to hit its full potential until mobs and health work in mp like they do in sp. Then the possibilities should be crazy. Surviving zombie invasions, pvp battles, building defenses against the monsters...things like that.

Idk about your sound question.

Upvote 0
The full version is much more fleshed out than the alpha. You can't do much without the ability to craft. If you're not into building there's the whole exploration aspect though I have to admit that's gotten pretty stale for me too. This latest update should make things much more interesting with biomes, new creatures, hell, and whatever else he's adding but I don't think the game is going to hit its full potential until mobs and health work in mp like they do in sp. Then the possibilities should be crazy. Surviving zombie invasions, pvp battles, building defenses against the monsters...things like that.

Idk about your sound question.

You can craft in the free version. I've been crafting stuff with the workbench and furnace. Or is that not what you meant...?

And yeah, I usually love exploring in games but in Minecraft I can see that get pretty boring pretty quickly too because everything looks the same.

Now if they'd add some kind of co-op zombie survival mode... then I'd be interested. Or a game mode where there are two teams and have to build a fortress and capture that of the other team, and use siege artillery etc. That would make the game a lot more interesting. Now it's just building stuff and digging holes.

Perhaps it's not the kind of game for me. It doesn't have enough fun elements. But like I said I'll give it another chance. I do think it's great that an indie game made by one guy is becoming so successful.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well considering it's still in Alpha stage, I think Minecraft is still a great game to play.

Being able to build in a grid style world kind of reminds me of legos when I was a kid.

And supposedly come October 31st, there's going to be a massive update with brand new content to enjoy.

Biggest thing I like about Mojang Specifications is that they allow for people to make custom texture packs to personalize the gameplay further.

Upvote 0

Just a side note, the whole game is written in java. I believe the standalone .exe is just used to wrap the game into one neat runnable application because the regular user would probably be like "wuts dis .jar file?"

Upvote 0
c66oo.jpg

Upvote 0