• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Mine The Gap Media Update

Yoshiro;n2262762 said:
Hello everyone. Today we have a new media update to share which covers a different class of explosive weapons that one may find while patrolling the jungle. As always remember what you are about to see are Works in Progress and often prototype implementations. Diving right in, let us talk about C4 and Tripwires.

Composition C4 is a plastic explosive that is stable to carry and move around and can be molded into any shape needed (or desired) by the end user. Often carried by engineers, in Vietnam it provided a reliable way to close tunnels or clear buildings but was also often used to lay traps while out in the field. Players will find this weapon in the US Army and Marine arsenal.

http://media.tripwirecdn.com/071116/C4.webm

The Vietcong also had their own variety of traps made using WWII-era anti-personnel mines as well as more modern ones provided by Russia and China. But one of the most common traps was the home-made Tripwire created by tying a string or wire to the pin of a grenade which would result in the grenade's detonation when the string or wire was “tripped” by passing a soldier’s feet or legs.

http://media.tripwirecdn.com/071116/TripwireTrap.webm

As always keep in mind that media shown is WIP.

Does the VC trap explode with some delay? Or was it common for VC to somehow modify the grenades so the delay between the pressure being relieved from the lever and the grenade exploding would be zero (I can't really imagine how this would be possible)?
Also, I think the pin was pulled when they set up the trap and the string was attached to the grenade itself. By tripping over the wire the enemy soldier would pull the grenade out of the tin can, thus relieving the pressure which the wall of the tin can exerted on the lever of the grenade.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
hüäramammi;n2262882 said:
Also, I think the pin was pulled when they set up the trap and the string was attached to the grenade itself. By tripping over the wire the enemy soldier would pull the grenade out of the tin can, thus relieving the pressure which the wall of the tin can exerted on the lever of the grenade.
http://viettimes.vn/quoc-phong/lich-...#&gid=1&pid=34

Did some googling. This documentation points also in this direction. If I remember correctly, pulling the pin of hand grenade requires quite some force, and the pulling must be done at a certain angle - after all, it's a safety pin. So, if the wire is attached to the pin, I guess chances would be that the pulling force from the foot of the enemy soldier would simply break/tip over one of the bamboo sticks (or pull the grenade with the pin still inserted out of the can). In other words, the only chance a design as shown in the animation would work is if the other bamboo stick was set up so that the wire would be an exact "continuation" of the axis of the firing pin (with maybe - or + a few degrees "tolerance" in each of the for directions). This, of course, would imit the possibilities of where the second stick can be set up in relation to the first extremely.

A possibility of changing the animation with - I guess - comparatively little work would be a thing as shown here, with the safety pin replaced by a more fragile needle of some sort.

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/7594/1045/1600/trip wire.jpg

Hope my English is good enough to make myself clear.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not really, as long force is applied perpendicular to the wire, and the grenade's pin is oriented as well in a parallel fashion to the wire it would pull the pin out. Although this would also mean it'd be incredibly hard to detonate from tripping it in the other direction. Though it entirely depends on the type of grenade. I also don't it would cause the bamboo sticks to fall over, I mean he hammers them in with a rock.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Beskar Mando;n2262932 said:
Although this would also mean it'd be incredibly hard to detonate from tripping it in the other direction.
That's what I meant. If and only if the pioneer would be some sort of genius in geometry, he could make the trap work as intended. Re the bamboo sticks: I encourage you to go out into the woods, and hammer a wooden stick into the soil with to strikes and then apply some push or pull force onto it. You might be surprised what'll happen (however, this is not really important game-wise).

Upvote 0
This Media Update make me see Vietnam flachbacks each time I go to sleep. Rest in Phosphorus

But seriouslabsolutely absolutely astonishing.
The USMC soldier loosing his both legs is just what makes this game so good and realistic. The limbs flying from the 3 VC fighters is also a Vietnam brutal scene that get us the War feeling right.

Upvote 0
This Media Update make me see Vietnam flachbacks each time I go to sleep. Rest in Phosphorus

But seriously, this is absolutely astonishing.
The USMC soldier loosing his both legs is just what makes this game so good and realistic. The limbs flying from the 3 VC fighters is also a Vietnam brutal scene that get us the War feeling right.

Upvote 0
hüäramammi;n2263035 said:
You're a Vietnam vet? If yes, would you care to enlighten us on the safety pin technicality of the trip wire animation?

You mean Tripwire don't you? Huehuehue get it?
And No, I am only a Tunisia Veteran.
Vietnam is 2old4me

PoisonStrudel;n2263049 said:
I think it was a joke

Touché

Last edited:
Upvote 0