• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

micro vs letting them be

illinifan

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 11, 2007
in general, what's considered a better strategy for the longer games? I played a 1 hr game on medium and thought i did well with 1m+, only to find out that i was 172nd on the local scoreboard, let alone global

the only time i micro'd the dwarves were to get the minerals when they were nearby, or to take them to the dynamite

Those above you in the score league have likely abused the S-key more than you! The beauty of the S-key, score wise, is that you speed up the game without speeding up the clock! This way you can get more things done

Using the speedup wisely is one of the most difficult things about the game, really! It's very easy to get greedy and keep it in for too long, and you don't want a flood while the game is running at five times the speed! ^^

Upvote 0
Those above you in the score league have likely abused the S-key more than you! The beauty of the S-key, score wise, is that you speed up the game without speeding up the clock! This way you can get more things done

Using the speedup wisely is one of the most difficult things about the game, really! It's very easy to get greedy and keep it in for too long, and you don't want a flood while the game is running at five times the speed! ^^

ohhh thanks. i thought that the s key also sped up the time so i didn't use it

Upvote 0
the hell they do. I didn't get onto the t-h 5 min highscore board by leaving dwarves lying around to dig into water :cool:

also, is it just me, or do aimless dwarves actually tear down walls to get to water? I keep struggling with 5 minute matches where the diggers seem to suicidally rush the walls to tear them all down :(:p

Upvote 0
also, is it just me, or do aimless dwarves actually tear down walls to get to water? I keep struggling with 5 minute matches where the diggers seem to suicidally rush the walls to tear them all down :(:p

I got that, in the last 5 mins of a 60 min easy game a flood broke out near my base and the dwarves kept braking the walls while I placed them!

Upvote 0
Spend the $10 to flip them going the other way. BTW if you've walled off the cave but haven't done the explosives (no nearby dwarf), you can just stick it in front of a water temp wall. Then if a dwarf ever does want to start chipping away at your wall he'll blow himself up instead and finish the seal.

I do emergency micro (of course) and planned micro. I try and do planned breakin on caves which means I'm there and I've got two dwarfs ready. Also like breakins to be via a good lenght pathway. Having a solo breach far away from another dwarf can be expensive for paying all the walls to slow lava down, for the larger area needed to trap the cave, and the cost to get a dwarf there to do the explosives.

One thing that seems to work well is send one dwarf WAY out to the rich stuff. Just make sure he doesn't touch any caves. Not too hard if he's always working on orders, costly but pays back if he's mining the good stuff. Then place a fort there and spawn dwarfs for backup.

Upvote 0