• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO2 MG42 needs allot more recoil

Sgt.NightFire

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 26, 2006
I am pretty shocked that the MG42 was put in the game so early, especially with the current recoil on the weapon, it's incredibly low! I compared it to the MG34 and even that one had a bigger recoil, the MG42 has a incredible kick, but the current MG feels like there is no kick at all, i just came from a server and within 2 minutes a guy on the mg42 already had 20 kills!

The recoil needs a serious increase, please look at the MG42 from RO ostfront or even better, Darkest Hour, there it was perfect, deadly but a good amount of recoil.

I also noticed that because the MG42 is in the game, everyone rushes over to the axis side, out of 5 maps i played just now, we all lost the rounds with mostly the axis murdering us with the MG42, why not add another weapon for the Russians? The IOM mod already has a worthy mg!

The issue isn't recoil exactly. The MG42 shouldn't have more recoil because the MG42 simply didn't have that much recoil. If you're talking realism: realisticly it would be harder to whip the thing around the way people do and it would be hard to keep it from bouncing around when fired, but it wouldn't climb like MGs are often depicted as doing.

IOM fixes it pretty well by making it harder to keep on target, not with more recoil.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Actually the MG42 should have less recoil/muzzle climb and be more accurate as well, at least if it is to accurately mimic the real life weapon.

The real life weapon is extremely controllable deployed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfJkU4Sah8I

However wielding the weapon undeployed is too easy, and I believe that an extra press of a button to simulate the assault stance should be implemented (for ALL MG's!), that should prevent the rambo'ing we see with all MG's ingame.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Actually the MG42 should have less recoil/muzzle climb and be more accurate as well, at least if it is to accurately mimic the real life weapon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfJkU4Sah8Ihttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfJkU4Sah8I

However wielding the weapon undeployed is too easy, and I believe that an extra press of a button to simulate the assault stance should be implemented (for ALL MG's!), that should prevent the rambo'ing we see with all MG's ingame.
Alllll of this.
Sideways recoil is in game (Look at the way the MKB goes left/right as well as up).
Okay I was thinking it was, in that case MG42 should definitely have more horizontal recoil than vertical recoil, a firearm that heavy isn't going to climb just under the power of recoil.

Upvote 0
Extra Mouse Click when hip fired.

Other forms of firing are fine. Its cool to go up against one with your rifle.

I basically agree, only thing is I feel that muzzle climb should be decreased and accuracy increased (the real weapon is deadly accurate). This will ofcourse make it even more lethal when deployed, just like the real thing, but if the extra mouse click for assault stance is implemented I believe that will even things out.

That having been said it's obvious that having a weapon like the MG42 around WILL increase Soviet casualties, and it should as well, therefore I strongly believe that Soviet reinforcement numbers should be increased on every map. Not only would this balance things out, it would actually add abit more realism as well considering the massive advantage in manpower the Soviets generally held.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfJkU4Sah8I

YES:D
that would be so good

Upvote 0
The issue isn't recoil exactly. The MG42 shouldn't have more recoil because the MG42 simply didn't have that much recoil. If you're talking realism: realisticly it would be harder to whip the thing around the way people do wand it would be hard to keep it from bouncing around when fired, but it wouldn't climb like MGs are often depicted as doing.

IOM fixes it pretty well by making it harder to keep on target, not with more recoil.

Im not talking about realism, im talking about game balance!

Upvote 0
But we still don't want to toss realism out the window. I once saw a WW2 Mod for ArmA 2 and someone picked up and MG42 and fired a burst from it and it went vertical immediately, I would've laughed were I not completely disgusted :I
I agree that something needs to be done, but not silly recoil, perhaps the good ole right mouse before left mouse thing.

Upvote 0
Along with the other mgs, I think a second click to center the barrel for a more logical stance when hip firing, but slow movement speed and traversing speed down to reflect the mass of those weapons. Enabling them to out smg the smg's is just silly.

Play a map like station or commisars and instead of providing suppressing fire as they would have, you can hear the 42's all inside ramboing.

Upvote 0

RO2 is a game based on a real war, with real weapons, and is generally considered to be striving for realism. More than one game has been ruined in the holy name of balance. There are more and better ways to reach balance than blindly adding ridiculous recoil and/or bullet spread. Or perhaps you'd like to go back to the RO:Ost PPSh that at launch had a recoil that pretty much made you look up at the sky after a quick burst?

There are plenty other games to play that heavily favors "balance" over realism. Luckily RO2 isn't one of them.

Upvote 0
There are plenty other games to play that heavily favors "balance" over realism. Luckily RO2 isn't one of them.

I do hope you are joking,the whole game is set up to try to balance the opposing sides.
From weapon numbers to rarity of weapons to reinforcement numbers to map balance.

As for the mg debate I would just like it so I am less accurate firing my mg from the hip than my smg,pistol or rifle.

Upvote 0