• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

MG42 beer thread

Man, if could rename this to just "the beer thread" the world would be right.

Anyway...some science to it all. Alcohol evaporates quite readily (at room temperature) compared to water. Your average beer is 4-5% alcohol by volume, so you're looking at a minuscule difference between the overall evap. rate between water and ... any kind of beer.

to move it on, here's what I got going on tonight...

10407837_10100525923696976_8945060774960498896_n_zps8lhrnkbm.jpg

No way I had to put the word mg42 for the saga to continue

Upvote 0
I concur, had that beer before the Christmas when Alko imported those as "Christmas beers". I think it stays in Alko's standard selection. Maybe I'll grab one when next time I'm in town.
And so I did today, but that beer can wait a few days. In this month Alko brought a special batch of hand-crafted beers from Finnish micro breweries to their selection. Yesterday I had Saimaan Juomatehdas' Brewer's Special Saison and Teerenpeli's Notkea Nipa. Today I've had only Vakka-Suomen Panimo's Prykmestar Savuvehn

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm happy and proud to say that tonight I'm going (for the 3rd year in a row) to the opening gala of San Francisco Beer Week 2015. You get in, they give you a glass, and you go nuts, trying as many beers as you can stomach. After the opening gala, it's a series of hundreds of events at local bars and breweries, but the opening gala itself is absolutely epic. It's just tons of California/West Coast brewers who show up and show off. They bring their best and craziest brews.

Tonight's Participating Breweries (82 total):

101 North Brewing Co.
21st-Amendment Brewery
Ale Industries
Almanac Beer Co.
Alpha Acid Brewing Company
Altamont Beer Works
Anchor Brewing
Anderson Valley Brewing Company
Auburn Alehouse
Baeltane Brewing
Barrel Head Brewhouse
Bartlett Hall
Beach Chalet Brewery & Restaurant
Bear Republic Brewing Company
Berryessa Brewing Company
Bison Brewing
Black Diamond Brewery
Calicraft Brewing Co.
Campbell Brewing Company
Cellarmaker Brewing Company
Devil's Canyon Brewing Co.
Discretion Brewing
Drake's Brewing Co.
Eel River Brewing Company
El Toro Brewing Company
Elevation 66 Brewing Company
Faction Brewing Company
Fort Point Beer Company
Freewheel Brewing Company
Gordon Biersch Brewing Company
Half Moon Bay Brewing Company
Headlands Brewing Company
HenHouse Brewing
Heretic Brewing Company
Hermitage Brewing Company
High Water Brewing
Hop Dogma Brewing Company
Hoppy Brewing Company
Independent Brewing Company
Iron Springs Pub & Brewery
Knee Deep Brewing Company
Lagunitas Brewing Company
Linden Street Brewery
Lost Coast Brewery
Mad River Brewing Company
Magnolia Brewing Company
Marin Brewing Company
Mendocino Brewing Co.
Moonlight Brewing Co.
Moylan's Brewing Company
Napa Smith Brewery
North Coast Brewing
Pacific Coast Brewing Company
Palo Alto Brewing Company
Pine Street Brewery
Petaluma Hills Brewing Company
Pizza Orgasmica & Brewing Company
Rubicon Brewing Co.
Ruhstaller
Russian River Brewing Company
San Francisco Brewing Company
Santa Clara Valley Brewing
Schubros Brewery
Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
Social Kitchen & Brewery
Sonoma Springs Brewing Co.
Southern Pacific Brewing
Southpaw BBQ
Speakeasy Ales & Lagers
St. Florian's Brewery
Strike Brewing Co.
Tahoe Mountain Brewing Co
The Rare Barrel
Third Street Aleworks
ThirstyBear Organic Brewery
Track 7
Triple Rock Brewing Co.
Triple Voodoo Brewery & Taproom
Trumer Brauerei
Uncommon Brewers
Woodfour Brewing Co.
WOODS Beer Co.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I wonder guys, are you aging beer? Dark, strong beers (imperial stouts, baltic porters, Belgian dubbels and quadruppels, doppelbocks...) are aging in really interesting way. I grabbed today 2,5 years old Żywiec Porter (9,5% ABV, Cieszyn Brewery, Poland) from my basement and it was delicious. The beer has strong plum, coffee, pumpernickel and medium roasty flavour, sadly also serious metalic smell. Maybe it's not the best baltic porter I know, but it was very adorable ;)

Żywiec trademark belongs to Heineken company, so it should be rather available in Europe and US.

@Jank
I see amazing event :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah it was an epic beer event, I'm so glad I went. I tried so many beers, I literally couldn't keep track.

I am aging a Barleywine, but it's just my own homebrew. I named it Bummelei Barleywine. I made it in Dec 2013 and drank a few in early 2014, then opened up the box again in Dec 2014. It has gotten a lot better. I'm going to let them keep aging, but now they're in season so I'll be raiding them whenever, just keeping it slow so at least some get even more aging.

Upvote 0
I wonder guys, are you aging beer? Dark, strong beers (imperial stouts, baltic porters, Belgian dubbels and quadruppels, doppelbocks...) are aging in really interesting way. I grabbed today 2,5 years old Żywiec Porter (9,5% ABV, Cieszyn Brewery, Poland) from my basement and it was delicious. The beer has strong plum, coffee, pumpernickel and medium roasty flavour, sadly also serious metalic smell. Maybe it's not the best baltic porter I know, but it was very adorable ;)

Żywiec trademark belongs to Heineken company, so it should be rather available in Europe and US.

@Jank
I see amazing event :)

I picked up some crates of St. Feuillen christmas ale on an after-Christmas sale some years ago, and have been opening some bottles every Christmas, and they have only gotten better and better.

I have several barleywines on stock as well, but haven't found the right occasion to try them out yet.

No dark for me, only golden.

You are really missing out. But then again, many dark beers are definitely an acquired taste, and when I was younger I preferred pale beers to dark ones as well. Now I couldn't live without some good Baltic porter several times a week.

And while I do enjoy very hoppy IPAs (especially on warm summer afternoons) they just don't provide me with the full tasting experience that porters or Belgian ales or other dark beers does. I never cease to be amazed by Belgian trappist ales, and what they can achieve with so simple, yet powerful, means.

Upvote 0
I was definitely a hop-head for a while, but then it got old.

Then, the new third-generation of light-bodied, aromatic hoppy beers emerged, things like dry-hopped lagers, session IPAs, etc. Not nearly so bitter as the second generation of IPAs. (First being the intro of hop beers, Sierra Nevada IPA et al) And they've renewed my love of hops. I just don't prefer the hops arms-race style, the double and triple IPAs, at least for the most part. My favorite IPA at the moment is Sculpin IPA from Ballast Point in San Diego. You can find it all over the West Coast US at the very least.

Last night I enjoyed an Anchor Porter, their best offering IMO.

Anchor_Porter_Full.jpg

Upvote 0
You are really missing out. But then again, many dark beers are definitely an acquired taste, and when I was younger I preferred pale beers to dark ones as well. Now I couldn't live without some good Baltic porter several times a week.

And while I do enjoy very hoppy IPAs (especially on warm summer afternoons) they just don't provide me with the full tasting experience that porters or Belgian ales or other dark beers does. I never cease to be amazed by Belgian trappist ales, and what they can achieve with so simple, yet powerful, means.

First dark I ever tried was guiness, did not like it. Last dark I drank was Warsteiner dunkel. My dumb *** thought it was regular, little did I know I should have look for verum instead of dunkel.....

Upvote 0
My last beer shopping - 3 bocks perfect for winter

Erdinger Pikantus - Weizenbock (wheat bock, Germany)
Pinta Jak w dym - Rauchbock (smoked, Poland)
Weissenhoher Bonator - Doppelbock (double bock, Germany)
Yummy :cool:

@Zakkaro
I prefer dark beers over the pale ones and in my opinion Dunkel is just boring beer style - it is just sweet, caramel lager and nothing else. Try maybe milk stout or brown ale, they are adorable and rather easy-drinking.

Upvote 0
My last beer shopping - 3 bocks perfect for winter

Erdinger Pikantus - Weizenbock (wheat bock, Germany)
Pinta Jak w dym - Rauchbock (smoked, Poland)
Weissenhoher Bonator - Doppelbock (double bock, Germany)
Yummy :cool:

@Zakkaro
I prefer dark beers over the pale ones and in my opinion Dunkel is just boring beer style - it is just sweet, caramel lager and nothing else. Try maybe milk stout or brown ale, they are adorable and rather easy-drinking.
Well at least it was better then the dark guiness
Just bought a 6 pack of golden guiness, never tried it, lets see how I like it.

Upvote 0