• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

MG42 beer thread

Yeah the Aventinus Eisbock is fantastic. It's everything I like about Aventinus, concentrated into a potion. I like most eisbocks actually. I do prefer regular Aventinus though, it's more drinkable. Eisbock is, as you mentioned, one of those dessert beers that you chill with at night. For that, it's great though.

I heard that Eisbock was accidentally invented by drunken German brewers inadvertently leaving barrels out in the cold overnight. :D

Old Foghorn is a good one too. Tonight I had an Avery Brewing 'Karma' Belgian Pale Ale at dinner (I gave it 3 out of 5 on beer advocate, not the best).
Avery---Karma.jpg

But for dessert I'm having North Coast Old Stock Ale, a wonderful big beer. I hear it should be aged, but I can't keep them around long enough.

North%2BCoast%2BOld%2BStock%2BAle%2B2014.jpg

I did manage to age my homebrewed Barleywine for a year though. It's great, English-style, very syrupy and malty. I named it Bummelei Barleywine, and brewed it in Dec 2013. Should be good for another year or so.

Upvote 0
+1 for Deschutes; their Black Butte Porter is my favorite beer.

They really can do no wrong, I don't think I've tried anything from Deschutes that I didn't love. Black Butte is great, but I gotta say the Obsidian Stout is one of my favorite stouts.

obsidianstout.jpg

Oh yeah, they also have a Quadrupel, and I'm totally into quads at the moment. It is stupendous. I believe they call it Not The Stoic. It runs about $17 a bottle around here but man is it good...

NottheStoic_v1.jpg

Upvote 0
It would have been really interesting if anyone had done any tests concerning which type of beer was most efficient in cooling down an mg. For the sake of science it could have been tested on a car or a smiliar type of engine. But I fear that the result would have been that the most efficient type of beer to cool down a piece of equipment would have been the beer that mostly resembled water, because water is really the most efficient coolant as coolants doesn't need any artificial additives such as hops and malts, they would not induce any cooling capactities, probably quite the opposite.

And then we end up with the popular saying about American beer, which to my mind could as well be applied to German pilseners and helles. They are all equally close to water.

Personally I perfer Belgium Trappist ales or Baltic Porters, all very thick and alcohol rich beers, none of which would do much good as coolants compared to your regular industrial stuff.

Upvote 0
It would have been really interesting if anyone had done any tests concerning which type of beer was most efficient in cooling down an mg. For the sake of science it could have been tested on a car or a smiliar type of engine. But I fear that the result would have been that the most efficient type of beer to cool down a piece of equipment would have been the beer that mostly resembled water, because water is really the most efficient coolant as coolants doesn't need any artificial additives such as hops and malts, they would not induce any cooling capactities, probably quite the opposite.
There's at least one advantage in using more alcoholic beers as a cooling liquid: Those survive colder temperatures without freezing. Early Maxim machinguns had that problem before Finns introduced a snow filling cap, which Soviets copied after the Winter War.

Upvote 0
Man, if could rename this to just "the beer thread" the world would be right.

Anyway...some science to it all. Alcohol evaporates quite readily (at room temperature) compared to water. Your average beer is 4-5% alcohol by volume, so you're looking at a minuscule difference between the overall evap. rate between water and ... any kind of beer.

to move it on, here's what I got going on tonight...

10407837_10100525923696976_8945060774960498896_n_zps8lhrnkbm.jpg

Upvote 0