• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

MG34 Abuse killing game for me

It's all your fault. Just whining about your own incompetence. Nothing to see here.
This is exactly why there are only between 300-800 players on at any given time in this game. Part of my attraction to this game was the realism, mature gaming community and respect among players (generally). I brought the point about the MG up because it kills the gameplay for many people and drives people away. I know quite a few people who bought this game who dont play it becasue of two reasons: they die to often and they are used to COD BF3 game mechanics. People play this game because it actually takes skill to play for the most part and they like the intensity. Personally, I would like more players in this game, because I would like to have a larger choice of servers to play on (ie. those without rambo). Calling people a whiner serves no purpose other that making you feel better I guess as it does absolutely nothing for the long term future of this game.

Reactions: gautrek
Upvote 0
Don't play Apartments. Problem solved.

But seriously, the weapon aim speed should be affected by weight. I can't see anybody complaining about that addition to realism. That would seriously reduce the effectiveness of hip-fired MGs.

Additionally, all the footage I've seen of hip-firing MGs required a really steady stance. It should take at least 0.5 seconds to get into that stance. I think the easiest way to implement that would be to require the player to RMB, just like in RO1. Otherwise, recoil should be increased without being in the "sturm" stance or whatever it's called.

Reactions: Verluste
Upvote 0
Its fun to see though the people who defend this as 'a realistic feature'. Probably the same people who consider BF3 realistic, when in fact, they consider it as fun, and think fun equals realism.

I don't know where people get this idea that hip firing an MG34/42 is unrealistic. I have many videos of how EASY a good MG man can and does do this. Below is a short example of a German doing it in combat and a recient video of someone blasting 200 rounds from an MG42 standing shoulder fired with very little recoil. Take this and imagine that inside an appartment.. yeah, not a good day for anyone inside.

http://youtu.be/OGjLIT0l8x8

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't know where people get this idea that hip firing an MG34/42 is unrealistic. I have many videos of how EASY a good MG man can and does do this. Below is a short example of a German doing it in combat and a recient video of someone blasting 200 rounds from an MG42 standing shoulder fired with very little recoil. Take this and imagine that inside an appartment.. yeah, not a good day for anyone inside.

[url]http://youtu.be/OGjLIT0l8x8[/URL]

try to do that when walking forward, the result would be the mg man laying on his back shooting the roof.

Reactions: Makabi
Upvote 0
I would not mind increased difficulty in hip firing if the damn bouncing recoil of the LMG when deployed was toned down. Right now the deployed MG is worse than RO1 and the hipshooting is better.

In regards to the upgraded MG34 it is particuarly galling the ability to sprint and instantly bring up the MG and fire off bursts when you know that thing is dragging around a 250 round belt. No disadvantages at all over magazine fed weapons, no real world limitations caused by belt fed weapons imposed on the MG34. It is as nimble as the MG34 with the assault drum.

Upvote 0
It is interesting how people talk about the MG34 being unrealistic in RO2, yet often the same people want it just as it was in RO1. The recoil was so excessive in RO1 for the MG's hip fired that they were almost useless. Worse than even a bolt action in a tight spot. How exactly is that realistic? Right now they are as I imagine they were irl, not as good as an smg/assault rifle, but certainly a lot better than a rifle. The issue really is more one of them being bad at their intended role, rather than them being overpowered up close.

I definitely think the recoil hipped does need increasing, and that the recoil deployed needs reducing. But I only think minor changes are needed, with the possible exception of crouched hip recoil which is bizarrely low.

When all is said and done, I'd rather have my C96 over an MG34 for room clearing :p

Upvote 0
It is interesting how people talk about the MG34 being unrealistic in RO2, yet often the same people want it just as it was in RO1. The recoil was so excessive in RO1 for the MG's hip fired that they were almost useless. Worse than even a bolt action in a tight spot. How exactly is that realistic? Right now they are as I imagine they were irl, not as good as an smg/assault rifle, but certainly a lot better than a rifle. The issue really is more one of them being bad at their intended role, rather than them being overpowered up close.

I definitely think the recoil hipped does need increasing, and that the recoil deployed needs reducing. But I only think minor changes are needed, with the possible exception of crouched hip recoil which is bizarrely low.

When all is said and done, I'd rather have my C96 over an MG34 for room clearing :p

There are two realism classes. There are those who want things that were remotely realistically possible modeled, and those who want unrealisms introduce to make things more realistic because players in game do not behave realistically. Rediculous hipfire recoil in RO1 was to give LMGs a self defense ability but not an offensive ability which would have people use them like they currently are. The MG42 didn't even have a hipfiring ability, possibly because the devs could not model the issues a belt hanging from the gun would have.

In RO2 they have gone the complete opposite route, not only is hipfiring quite useful, the beltfed MG34 can also hipfire. Frankly the LMG play is beginning to resemble WWIIOL which was one of my big issues with the infantry combat in that game. Something does need to be done to discourage LMGs from being used as they are. At the very least the RO1 "Right mouse to bring up LMG" and "nothing more than walking speed" aspect should be brought back in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gudenrath
Upvote 0
There are two realism classes. There are those who want things that were remotely realistically possible modeled, and those who want unrealisms introduce to make things more realistic because players in game do not behave realistically. Rediculous hipfire recoil in RO1 was to give LMGs a self defense ability but not an offensive ability which would have people use them like they currently are. The MG42 didn't even have a hipfiring ability, possibly because the devs could not model the issues a belt hanging from the gun would have.

In RO2 they have gone the complete opposite route, not only is hipfiring quite useful, the beltfed MG34 can also hipfire. Frankly the LMG play is beginning to resemble WWIIOL which was one of my big issues with the infantry combat in that game. Something does need to be done to discourage LMGs from being used as they are. At the very least the RO1 "Right mouse to bring up LMG" and "nothing more than walking speed" aspect should be brought back in.

Agree. It is not so much their accuracy when hipfiring as the current mobility of the machinegunner when doing it. The restriction on speed in RO1 by having to press rmb was near perfect in that regards and brought down the ramboinstances to a minimum (they occurred in that game, and they should still occur, but as a rare thing).

Upvote 0
Anyone who thinks firing while moving is easy should load up the game and give it a try. Anything over 10m you need luck to hit. The recoil while moving is insane, and a guy with a pistol could kill you before you can bare down on them. Standing still the MG does take skill to fire at anything over 20m, I can peg a target at 80m, but it requires about 10-15 bullets and the enemy can easily take me down by then.

The issue is MGers can run, stop, fire, and run again very easily. As a pure MG class, I wouldn't be opposed to a "brace" stance that allows me to fire but not move fast. Honestly I'd still kill a whole lot of people from hip firing, but not be able to abuse it indoors.

Upvote 0