• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

MG Tracers

CopperHead

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 9, 2010
One of my friends asked me if the MG tracers were going to be as overdone in HOS as they are in Ost.

I've never shot an mg42 or any other ww2 mg, but I have shot many, many modern day mg's both at night and during the day, and the way in which tracers are modeled in ost is definitely exaggerated.

I think they should be toned down big time. Anyone else agree?

Reactions: LemoN
lol, the ones in DH actually look more like lasers to me, since they are very thin, long and straight (at least on the american .50 cal, if I remember). In Ostfront they are more like plasma bolts ;).

Anyhow, I agree with CopperHead (OP) that the tracers should be looked into if it's not already the case for RO2. Maybe for added realism they could also add a very subtle randomness to the tracers' overall brightness, so some tracer rounds are slightly brighter than others, and vice-versa (note: I said slightly).

Upvote 0
I'm not sure in what cases tracers were used in WW2, but imo the MG's would be so much more lethal ingame if they didnt have tracers. In their current state they are just a big 'HEY GUYS I'M OVER HERE, SHOOT ME' sign :p

Maybe give a choice or give them only on night maps or something.

a better idea sure it wouldn't be completly realistic but just amke the first bullet a tracer (and a bullet at the same time.) :eek:

but serously it looks like somthing out of star wars. :D

wait an even better idea instead of every time you start firing a tracer comes out how about every 30 or 40 rounds there's a tracer. make it a lot less of a hassle or only have one in whole strip who knows. :D (note i havn't played mg much so could be already how it is either way dim them down just a bit.)

Upvote 0
I'm sure this will be less of an issue with the suppression system and the bullet penetration. Sure you can easily see where the MG fire is coming from, but it'll be a lot harder to kill them.

I wonder if IRL, it would be as easy to spot an MGer, due to the much better positional sound you get IRL, ability to see wisps of smoke better, better optical resolution than you get with a monitor, etc.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure in what cases tracers were used in WW2, but imo the MG's would be so much more lethal ingame if they didnt have tracers. In their current state they are just a big 'HEY GUYS I'M OVER HERE, SHOOT ME' sign :p

Maybe give a choice or give them only on night maps or something.

a better idea sure it wouldn't be completly realistic but just amke the first bullet a tracer (and a bullet at the same time.) :eek:

but serously it looks like somthing out of star wars. :D

wait an even better idea instead of every time you start firing a tracer comes out how about every 30 or 40 rounds there's a tracer. make it a lot less of a hassle or only have one in whole strip who knows. :D

First of all, since you are already on the battlefield changing of tracers to normal bullets wouldn't be possible (map-specific could work). Also a tracer counts as a bullet afaik, just lights up (otherwise it would be fairly weird).

Also every 30-40 rounds a tracer wouldn't work. LMG's were for bursts most of the time, so if you fire three bursts of 7, odds are you still have no idea where your bullets went.

I don't know a lot about tactics then, but an army buddy of mine explained how the tracers light up targets (again nice to have at least one tracer per burst) or to 'steer' the LMG to the enemy while firing. Lighting up targets works extremely well in Roost and would also work in Rohos even without extreme brightness. The last use would be during bracing for example but not necessarily. Even rested it is easier to dampen the recoil and change targets rapidly when you don't have to align the iron sights. You can just 'steer' the shots to the enemy by use of the tracers, a little bit like an underbarrel laser:)

Please correct me if I'm wrong

Last edited:
Upvote 0