• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

MG recoil - TW Please read

Adapt what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own.

Red Orchestra 2 Heroes of Stalingrad MG-34 gameplay - YouTube

John Rambo eat your freakin' heart out! Great run, though! This is the main reason why I use the LMG: room clearing.

But as this video shows: it's like Ben Johnson on steriods that uses a paper weight MG34 running around, turning on a dime, clearing rooms and hip sniping! It's even more science fiction then Star Wars is... And we are talking about recoil of LMG when you have seen this video??? IMHO the things I have seen in this video need to be adressed first, after that we can talk about recoil...

There are so many things unrealistic about this game, that I don't think that it will never even get close to RO1. Never the less I seem to enjoy the game because I am playing it a lot since I bought it three weeks ago.

Upvote 0
DP-28 is a LMG, and can be shoot from a standing position from the shoulder, just as a rifle.
There was a famous poster of an old man firing from the shoulder from the top of a tree...
As deploying it is really annoying. that possibility should be considered.
Germans MGs are much heavier and with a much higher ROF, and that would be more difficult.
Adding that possibility to the DP28 would make it more attrractive, and as it has not any upgrades at least give us that...

Upvote 0
Looks hard to me to fire a 13kg mg like a bolt rifle, but i agree that this would compensate with mg34 which is far superior for upgrades and single shot mode

I have saw a guy on youtube doing this (not sure it was really a Dp28 but close enough at least) Sorry but i closed that page now :p

Firing this way should add massive accu penaltys, especially on bursts. Also, firing an mg standing up, is likely to attract enemy fire pretty fast... so, not sure about the practical use of it.

Upvote 0
One thing I suggested before which has been forgotten now I think is the suggestion that they make it so that MGs using assault drums are able to use the slower RO type hip fire while disabling it for belt fed MGs as one would be unable to feed the belt in easily. This would at least help put ppl off from rambling to the extreme when they have only 50 rounds of rapid fire. What would help it more would be disabling reloading MGs while standing.

Just my two cent

Upvote 0
DP28 is a LMG, weighting 9Kg with bipod and drum, and firing 750 rpm. That can be carried and fired from the shoulder as a Minimi, for example.
MG34 is a GPMG, weighting 10.8Kg empty and fires 1000 rpm... that can not be fired from the shoulder.
It is not my fault, they are different classes of weapon...

+1

The DP should definitely have the ability to shoulder fire. I almost never use it in its current state, but this would make use it more probably.

Upvote 0
DP28 is a LMG, weighting 9Kg with bipod and drum, and firing 750 rpm. That can be carried and fired from the shoulder as a Minimi, for example.
MG34 is a GPMG, weighting 10.8Kg empty and fires 1000 rpm... that can not be fired from the shoulder.
It is not my fault, they are different classes of weapon...

The DP28 weigths 9kg unloaded, loaded 12kg and fires at 500rpm.
The mg34 weights 12kg unloaded, 14kg loaded and fires at 900rpm.

Both can be fired from the shoulder... Neither of the army's did so...
I'd rather they fix the mg's as the thread has discussed for many of pages.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I have the mg34 level 50 and hero and I just tested it in a game firing against a wall, firing a long burst and the recoil is straight up and it paints a straight line up on the wall. :rolleyes:

I am also hero level 50 on the bolt action rifles and oftentimes I felt like throwing away the mg and to pick up a bolt gun instead because you have to aim the mg just as carefuly as the rifle and only the first shot gets the kill, all the rest is wastes ammo and plus you don't have to deal with the contrived deployment of the mg.

Still I leveled the mg just for the chalenge of it and yes I leveled it on bot servers and mostly by firing it in the semi auto mode. What a wunderfull semi auto rifle the mg34 makes in the game :rolleyes:
No recoil at all in semi :rolleyes:
Playing against humans is only good if you are a masochist and even with bots it is frustrating to the core.
Usually in games the mg are the best guns to let off some steam and to go yarrrrrr! but in ro2 it is the exact opposite of that.
They would never have issue mg in real life if they behaved like in the game. issue only bolts and save cash :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: Atomskytten
Upvote 0
Sound of the MG-34, MG-42 and MP-40 Schmeisser Firing - YouTube

Nice video representing MG-34 recoil when deployed. It doesn't kick randomly upwards like in RO2.

Also MP-40 kicks a bit, in RO2 it doesn't at all.

I just hope when they introduce Classic mode and remove leveling cr** they bring back realistic recoil.

ps. take a note on sound and reverb. MG sound was so much better in RO:O.

EDIT:

This guy has some nice WWII historical videos.

Here's another great video.

Machine Gun Comparison -- U.S. .30 caliber vs. German MG-34 and MG-42 - YouTube

They are shooting burst at targets, range ~280 meters. Accuracy is way better than in RO2 where recoil is "balanced" :rolleyes:. And they don't shoot from hip, like in RO2.

Another video

Automatic Weapons: American vs German - YouTube

and again deployed LMGs do not kick up randomly even firing at full auto.

TWI please as you said that your game is realistic, fix LMG recoil.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nikita
Upvote 0
LOL
So much propaganda. An Mg42 on a Lafette is less accurate than an M1917 .30cal ? please...

There are reasons why they copied that Mg42 system for the M60 you know. :D

And Mg34 the most accurate Machinegun of WWII is outclassed by the M1919A6? Are you kidding me?

I know its a little off topic but I had to say it. Some people may get the wrong info.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sound of the MG-34, MG-42 and MP-40 Schmeisser Firing - YouTube

Nice video representing MG-34 recoil when deployed. It doesn't kick randomly upwards like in RO2.

Also MP-40 kicks a bit, in RO2 it doesn't at all.

and again deployed LMGs do not kick up randomly even firing at full auto.

TWI please as you said that your game is realistic, fix LMG recoil.

The MP40 needs a little more recoil too--played Ostfront the other night, and the MP40 feels like a real gun with some punch. In RO2, the thing feels like no firearm I have ever fired before--it's like the barrel is almost wiggling.

That said, the MGs' recoil is more important.

Reactions: Apos
Upvote 0
Ok, made a quick research on youtube too. No propaganda this time ;)

This is a rebuilt Mg42, same caliber afaik. You can see the ironsights and get a good idea of how much recoil there is.

Shooting the WWII German MG42 - YouTube

Here there are also (among others) the mg34, and the maxim 1910 (careful, mounted on wheels, not on a tripod or fixed mount, so consider it when calculating the recoil)

Guns of the World Wars - YouTube

I understand why you (TWI) put so much recoil in mgs. Because, otherwise, they'd be what they were in reality, lethal infantry killers. I say to give REAL MGs a go, and see what happens. Imo, and in RL, MGs were the pivot of the squads, basically moving\supporting\covering the MG and be covered by MG. That would emphatize teamwork a lot (no mg= no party ;) )

In WWI, introduction of MGs were devastating, especially in open terrain between trenches. Go figure those in WWII (especially the newer models, like the german ones)

Upvote 0
At higher levels (20+ for MG34, 30+ for DP28) the LMGs behave much better.

Prone deployment and recoil direction could still use some work. Point of aim movement should be much greater when the weapon is held off the body axis, and there should be some way to realign your body to match the current point of aim.

Upvote 0
LOL
So much propaganda. An Mg42 on a Lafette is less accurate than an M1917 .30cal ? please...

There are reasons why they copied that Mg42 system for the M60 you know. :D

And Mg34 the most accurate Machinegun of WWII is outclassed by the M1919A6? Are you kidding me?

I know its a little off topic but I had to say it. Some people may get the wrong info.

Indeed, those films were a propoganda attempt made to lessen the common US soldier's fear of the MG42. It was a big mistake however, one that cost many US soldiers dear.

The MG42 is everybit as accurate as the M1917, and infact more accurate on the tripod system since the German one went a good way to eliminate vibrations during firing.

As a seasoned US Marine put it:
"As a matter of fact, its' bite is ten times worse than its' bark!"

Upvote 0
Ok, made a quick research on youtube too. No propaganda this time ;)

Be aware that that gun is mounted on a tripod so the vertical recoil is greatly reduced. It's probably much worse with a bipod. Even the uploader wrote this;

is there any up-ward recoil with that mount?
Flamingcat823 1 month ago 12
@Flamingcat823 Yes, the front leg needs a sandbag on it.

Though I agree that MG recoil in RO2 is a bit excessive, it was in Ost as well.

Upvote 0