• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

MG 34 Barrel destroyed

Don't balance through historical inaccuracy, do it some other way. Give the Russians lower win conditions, or do it through map design or objective positioning. I personally wanted MG teams! A step forward in gameplay not just visuals. Gameplay was why I stopped playing in the first place. I knew once I killed this tank, he was respawning around the corner and would be back in the same place in about 30 seconds. You felt as if what you were doing had little impact. I moved on to a community and game where teamplay and realism were the watchwords. There's nothing like it. Working properly as squads, supporting wach other, communicating all the time, outsmarting the other team etc. etc.

Upvote 0
I've overheated the barrel once before. I wondered how long it would take compared to RO1 so I fired off a few mags constantly and the barrel did indeed get destroyed. You'd have to be very trigger happy to manage it during the typical course of play using the 50 round drums. Which is probably for the best since the overheating did seem to happen awfully quickly in RO1.

The only problem was.. no smoke, no warning. Just fine one second and the next text on the screen telling me the barrel is destroyed, change it. Pretty sure you'd get some visual clue irl :p

Upvote 0
My point was that this is a game, and it should be balanced as such.
The two different teams should have equal terms, with the players themselves making the difference on who wins and who doesnt.

Having 1 MG that has horrible accuracy and no barrels to change when overheating, is hardly balance.

My experience shows that the DP28 is more accurate than the MG34 and takes longer to heat up than the MG34, so in that perspective, they are balanced.

Just don't hold down your fire button for the entire round and shooting aimlessly & you won't have to worry about your barrel over heating..... if you let your barrel over heat to the point it's broke, you're obviously doing it wrong and should switch to another class.

And as I mentioned in other forums about other RO features, this so called "Issue" has been in RO since the start of RO and has never been a problem.

Reactions: Gerhard Schiller
Upvote 0
I loved the sound of a warping barrel in RO1. :D

I think the MG's should have less recoil like in RO1 also; I like a deadly but exclusive MG.

I dunno, they seem pretty good to me.

http://www.youtube.com/user/OnTheGunNZ[url]http://www.youtube.com/user/OnTheGunNZ[/URL]

I have 7 clips on there that represent my best runs from a single map. The numbering is not accurate as such, I just set it up to give an impression of the start, middle and end of the battle, but they are clips from two rounds on the same map. Most are short range kills because I was assaulting with my squad, and some of the runs end when I do something dumb or miss someone. It's amazing what you see when you watch back your own play - I see several enemies I never saw while actually playing it.

If you watch the chat, you'll see my team moaning about spawn camping and team stacking. The Russians had more men, camped right at our spawn most of the time, but we still won the map.

Watch these and tell me if the MG34 is deadly.

My best kill to date was a 258m 3 round burst kill with the DP-28 on a running target. Another one was a 130m+ MG34 hipshot on the run at a sniper camping a window. Boy was HE surprised. Then again, so was I! :D

Those are from earlier days before I started capturing video, and I had been unable to get the SS at the time, so you'll just have to take my word for it.

Upvote 0
It also says Winter Trigger Guard but that doesn't happen either.

(Thankfully because it didn't exist in WW2)

What is a winter trigger guard? Usually it's just a bigger loop of metal so you can fire the weapon while wearing gloves, or no guard at all so you can use mittens.

Before anyone ever MADE a "winter trigger guard" soldiers were removing the one the weapon had. It was this that caused the designers to find a safer way than having no guard at all.

Upvote 0
I've spent about 3 hours playing with the Russian MG. Just tonight I managed to run out of ammo completely 3 times in one life, had to hoof it back to find more myself each time, and never managed to overheat my barrel.

Squeeze the trigger in short bursts. Your goal is to get rounds on target quickly. Get lots of them at a single target, or keep putting lots of them through where you expect the opposition to stick their head out.

Only played a few rounds with the German MG, but I think I might prefer the handling of the Russian so far. (I usually play Allies, but tonight I kept running into servers where the Axis were down two or three,...)

Upvote 0
I've spent about 3 hours playing with the Russian MG. Just tonight I managed to run out of ammo completely 3 times in one life, had to hoof it back to find more myself each time, and never managed to overheat my barrel.

I've never even managed to run out of ammo, unless I was just mucking around, and I've never even seen the barrel get hot, period. I guess my training really did sink in.

:D

Upvote 0
If your MG breaks then that makes finding out you spawned with no Pistol all the more annoying lol. Nothing left to do except hope someone died near you.

But that's never happened to me since I have never encountered the need to fire full auto. The clips run out real fast an that's just with burst.

Upvote 0
If your MG breaks then that makes finding out you spawned with no Pistol all the more annoying lol. Nothing left to do except hope someone died near you.

But that's never happened to me since I have never encountered the need to fire full auto. The clips run out real fast an that's just with burst.

That and firing long streams of gunfire only gives you away more easier.

If anybody wants a solution to the so-called "balance" issues between the MG34 and the DP28 in regards to the DP not being able to replace a broken barrel, the easiest and most logical solution would be to let Russians run to ammo caches and have their MG fixed at that point..... even that idea is iffy, but at least the Russian MG has a chance to get back into the fight with a functioning MG without ending up dead.

Reactions: Gerhard Schiller
Upvote 0
That and firing long streams of gunfire only gives you away more easier.

If anybody wants a solution to the so-called "balance" issues between the MG34 and the DP28 in regards to the DP not being able to replace a broken barrel, the easiest and most logical solution would be to let Russians run to ammo caches and have their MG fixed at that point..... even that idea is iffy, but at least the Russian MG has a chance to get back into the fight with a functioning MG without ending up dead.

Maybe they already can. If those ammo points can repair an reload tanks they should be able to provide another MG barrel. Maybe I should I overheat one on purpose just to test.

Upvote 0