• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Metalradio

In most of the cases, there are two reasons why many of today's metal bands scream / growl / yell / cough instead of sing:

1.) They can't sing
2.) They can't come up with a good melody

Sad but true. That's why I don't like modern metal, the metal bands of today can't come up with a good melody or a catchy riff anymore. So they just scream / shred. I know there are a few exceptions, but this is the case for most bands.

And Bullit, I have to admit that I have only heard "Machine Head" by Deep Purple. They made bluesy stuff too? Sounds good, I love the blues. At least we both agree that they were one of the bands that defined the sound, right?:D I still consider them metal, though!:p

Upvote 0
THE ONLY THING THE WORLD NEEDS IS BRUTAL DEATH METAL/GRINDCORE!!!!!

But on the intarweb I always listen to Metal Express Radio, they play all the metal genres on that station except for that stupid New Metal or Nu Metal or what ever you call that crap like those fu-cktards like Limp Bizkit or Linkin Park and their friends and minions

And here is why Linkin ****s http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGlX9G1Eb60

Upvote 0
Hmmm, I hear some synthesizers and effects in there, metal (well at least the goth metal etc) definately doesn't have the same punk attitude of only using real instruments.

Meh, I don't like this metal too much. Just gimme old school metal like Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, and a bit of Metallica. Oh and Deep Purple of course! :)

Greetings,
Nim (does not limit himself to one genre of music)

oh god goth metal is blaspheme to goth itself, it does not even sound like the 80's stuff

Upvote 0
I like to listen to goth metal and it doesnt **** like some of the other genres.
icon13.gif

Upvote 0
In most of the cases, there are two reasons why many of today's metal bands scream / growl / yell / cough instead of sing:

1.) They can't sing
2.) They can't come up with a good melody

Sad but true. That's why I don't like modern metal, the metal bands of today can't come up with a good melody or a catchy riff anymore. So they just scream / shred. I know there are a few exceptions, but this is the case for most bands.

And Bullit, I have to admit that I have only heard "Machine Head" by Deep Purple. They made bluesy stuff too? Sounds good, I love the blues. At least we both agree that they were one of the bands that defined the sound, right?:D I still consider them metal, though!:p

yeah, some of deep purples stuff had a lot of blues influence, the singer that they had for a while, David Coverdale was very into the blues (he went on to form Whitesnake whos early stuff was basicly blues) machine head is the heavyest album

you are exactly right about modern metal bands, there are a few quite good ones, Dragonforce, Raphsody of Fire, etc... but the rest **** balls with the screaming

Upvote 0
If you dismiss them just because they scream then you are not open to it. For example, opeth has grunting and clean singing. That fitts the music perfectly. Grunting isnt bad as long as it isnt just done for the brutallity but because it fitts the music.

I like moonsorrow's vocals on theire last album allot. Yes it isnt clear singing but again it fits the songs perfectly.

Death's cover of painkiller has some of the best death metal vocals ever. Well something like death. its really well done.

My point. Grunting and such isnt bad as long as it fitts the music.

Make sure that you dont mix it with metalcore. Metalcore often has real screaming. Grunting sounds quite differently.

Upvote 0
Bullet & Kong you guys obviously don't understand the intentions of different metal genres. You are stuck in "Idolize the Singer/Rockstar" mode. Many metal genres merely use the vocal as a "texture" to compliment the sound and atmosphere of a particular metal style. Many metal styles place the focus on the guitars and drums and NOT on the singer as in a classic band of the basic genre of "heavy metal". Many metalheads listen to various metal for the awesome riffs & drumming alone and the Vocalist is merely there to "vocalize for effect" and not "Sing" but alot of the time the Vocalist will share double duty as Bassist usually and some of them can be quite busy playing insane bass riffs all while vocalizing. Really I know of many metal bands that have absolutely incredible musicianship (did you watch that Immolation clip?) so please don't imply they are talentless just because they don't have some wailing Singer wooing the chicks ala classic "heavy metal" style. There are many more genres besides the base one of "Heavy Metal"

Upvote 0
name a band with amazing musicianship and lame growling/grunting/screaming that would not be improved with real singing
Certain styles call for the sound of a horrendous evil demon lurking about like Death Metal. I agree that it does sound "not that great" alot of the time but I tune out the vocals for the most part and concentrate on everything else. Nothing is perfect. I take what's good/incredible about a certain band and try to ignore the things I don't particularly like.

Upvote 0
improved to your liking, or mine? Welcome to the place where not everyone has to share the same opinion.

ok say for instance you were to take some death metal with screaming and some iron maiden out to the average man on the street, you would find that he prefers the iron maiden every time. however there are those who do find the screaming/sounding bad appealing... why I do not know, maybe somone can enlighten me? becuse good singing by somone who can actually carry a tune just sounds better. end of story.

Upvote 0