• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Metalradio

seems to me most of the time bands that growl so you can't understand them do it in part to cover up the fact that the lyrics are terrible.:D

How can you know since you don't listen to that kind of music? :rolleyes:

I like the brutality of various death metal, thrash metal and grindcore bands, it's like enjoying B-class splatter movies: they may not always be taken that seriously but it gives you certain type of vibes.

Here's a really bad analogy but think if trolls and orcs spoke at normal pitch in games and movies? Would that sound right? The same goes for brutal bands - it would just sound out of place.

And Avenged Sevenfold sounds hardly metal, more like some commercial creation of a record company who dress them, choose their lyrics and build up their image - mallcore. I think I could have liked it when I was like 13-14 years old but now it just sounds terrible in my opinion.

And all in all, music is all about subjective opinions: you can never prove in a scientific way that some band or music style is not as good as something else even if it's listened by a minority. You just can't, there's no way to measure it without opinions.

Upvote 0
Personally im partial to Doom Metal, more melody and less tempo, varying from the slow and melancholy to the bombastic and powerfull, thease bands often sing most or all their lyrics, growling only in the chorus or in power sequences where it is appropriate and actually gives it flavour and sounds good (just singing in thease sequences would not give it enough power and depth of sound).

Just FYI doom never has growling as soon as it has its doomdeath which clearly is a mixture of death and doom. Notable bands are amorphis and anathema.

bad lyrics?

Do you feel what I feel, see what I see, hear what I hear
There is a line you must draw between your dream world and reality
Do you live my life or share the breath I breathe
Lies feed your judgment of others
Behold how the blind lead each other
The philosopher
You know so much about nothing at all

Ideas that fall under shadows of theories that stand tall
Thoughts that grow narrow upon being verbally released
Your mind is not your own,
What sounds more mentally stimulating is how you make your choice
So you preach about how Im supposed to be, yet you dont know your
Own sexuality
Lies feed your judgment of others
Behold how the blind lead each other
The philosopher
You know so much about nothing at all

I dont think so.

Clearly you havent listend to opeth this song clearly demonstrates what theire all about. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQo9OtVX4cQ

Upvote 0
Clearly you havent listend to opeth this song clearly demonstrates what theire all about. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQo9OtVX4cQ

what I heard there was good instrumentals and decent singing and then the growling felt really out of place in what was otherwise a very enjoyable song, the growling was clearly the worst part of the song. It felt to me very much like that was thrown in there just to appease the metalers who wouldn't take them seriously with out some growling, because thats whats "in" in metal now. (how would you like that song without that part? hmm?)

and that was a horrible example of a band that growls/screams with good lyrics. I would still like someone to show me a band with screaming vocals and good lyrics...

Upvote 0
I would still like someone to show me a band with screaming vocals and good lyrics...
*Sigh* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6mD6j-_4TU

Lyrics:

Heartwork

[Lead - Steer]

Works of art, painted black
Magniloquent, bleeding dark
Monotonous palate, murky spectrum, grimly unlimited
Food for thought, so prolific
In contrasting shades, forcely fed
Abstraction, so choking, so provocative

A canvas to paint, to degenerate
Dark reflections - degeneration
A canvas to paint, to denigrate
Dark reflections, of dark foul light

Profound, aesthetic beauty
Or shaded, sensary corruption
Perceptions, shattered, splintered, mirroring
In deft taints, diluted, tinted
Spelt out, in impaired colour
Denigrating, going to paints to pain - not a pretty picture

Works of heart bleeding dark
Black, magniloquent art
Prolific food for thought
Contrasting, fed with force
Abstraction, so choking, so provocative Heartwork

[Lead - Steer]

Works of art, painted black
Magniloquent, bleeding dark
Food for thought, so prolific
In contrasting shades, forcely fed

A canvas to paint, to degenerate
Dark reflections - degeneration
A canvas to paint, to denigrate
Dark reflections, of dark foul light

Profound, aesthetic beauty
Or shaded, sensary corruption
Perceptions, shattered, splintered, mirroring
In deft taints, diluted, tinted
Spelt out, in impaired colour
Denigrating, going to paints to pain - not a pretty picture

Works of heart bleeding dark
Black, magniloquent art
Prolific food for thought
Contrasting, fed with force

Bleeding works of art
Seething work so dark
Seering words from the heart

[1st lead - Steer]
[2nd lead - Amott]

Upvote 0
I would still like someone to show me a band with screaming vocals and good lyrics...

Death "Empty Words"

Ashes and promises share a bond
Through the winds of change
Words are blown away
When visions that should be
Are tattooed in your mind
The power to let go
Is sometimes hard to find

The answer cannot be found
In the writing of others
Or the words of a trained mind
In a precious world of memories
We find ourselves confined

Claws so razor sharp
Ripping at the spirit

[Chorus:]
Promises a potential to hurt
Is anything real?
When forever is to be until
Deep inside, in the world of empty words...
No escaping from those haunting
empty words...

[Solo: Schuldiner]

Do you ever feel it?
A craving that is so strong
To by thought rewind in order to find

Expectations that shined through the doubt
That soon would turn into the price
Of what a word will be worth
When tomorrow comes
To be and we are left
Standing on our own-
And seeing what is real...

The answer cannot be found
In the writing of others
Or the words of a trained mind
In a precious world of memories
We find ourselves confined

Claws so razor sharp
Ripping at the spirit

[Repeat chorus]

Here's a live clip so you can follow along. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiwkckPqHaQ

Upvote 0
what I heard there was good instrumentals and decent singing and then the growling felt really out of place in what was otherwise a very enjoyable song, the growling was clearly the worst part of the song. It felt to me very much like that was thrown in there just to appease the metalers who wouldn't take them seriously with out some growling, because thats whats "in" in metal now. (how would you like that song without that part? hmm?)

and that was a horrible example of a band that growls/screams with good lyrics. I would still like someone to show me a band with screaming vocals and good lyrics...

*sigh*

The lead singer of Opeth (a fellow Dane BTW) used to lead "Bloodbath", a band that was all growl, so there is no "appeasing" going on here, infact one could say he has gone exactly the opposite direction of what you imply.

Its fair enough that you dont like growling, why not leave it at that? thats absolutely understandable infact, most people dont, but that really should not be a reason to blanket every band that uses it as "no talent hacks".

But alas, i see no reason to continue this disgussion, you seem hell bent on fitting all music you dont like into little labeled boxes, whilst not really knowing any of the bands.
Wake me up when you have a more open mind.

Upvote 0
fine you win:) but really what is the point if you cant understand what they are saying?

I never labeled the bands as no talent hacks... just the ****ty vocalists;) and you are right I don't like it, as do most people. why? because real singing>growling:p

yes little labeled boxes? you guys seem to have about a million little boxes that you sort all the different types of metal into... doom metal, death metal, black metal, darkblackdoomgaydeath metal, etc... as far as I am concerned there is metal, so go ahead and wake me up with your mouth around my cock:D

Upvote 0
I used to notlike grunting and such just like you but then i thought, why am i hating it anyway? After that i started to just listen and not be scared of grunting. First i ignored the grunting later i started to sing along. Now i like grunting if done correctly. Grunting can just make a song sound better.

Do you even know the great difference between those genres? These genres are just as different from eachother as brit rock is from american rock. That is why there are allot of genres. Metal is these days very diverse.

Upvote 0
Do you even know the great difference between those genres? These genres are just as different from eachother as brit rock is from american rock. That is why there are allot of genres. Metal is these days very diverse.
No, he doesn't know the difference because he hasn't taken the time to deeply listen to many different metal genres. He seems to just listen to "household name" metal bands that everybody & their grandmother (read:non metal enthusiasts) knows about. What he fails to understand is that metal is not a popularity contest but artistic expression. He also seems unable to appreciate anything that isn't immediately 100% like-able, accessable and easy to digest (read: casual music listeners) Much of underground/obcure metal is about expressing various emotions and moods that "joe public" is extremely uncomfortable with and doesn't want to hear or even know about. Bullitt likes his "party time/ entertain me/ girls, drugs, booze N fun" type of metal.

Upvote 0
i like the sound of perseverance more
Yeah they aren't one of my favorites but they get my respect (I kinda find the songwriting somewhat flat and monotonous) also heavy overuse of the doublebass kinda gets monotonous. The sound of perserverance is an excellent album (especially the drummer Richard Christy) but I'm just not too enamored with their style/vibe.

Upvote 0
You have to broaden your view of metal, its not all highspeed thrashing and screaming without melody (some is, granted, and im not a big fan of thease bands, but thats not all there is).

There are many genres within metal, and you can definately find something to your tastes.

Personally im partial to Doom Metal, more melody and less tempo, varying from the slow and melancholy to the bombastic and powerfull, thease bands often sing most or all their lyrics, growling only in the chorus or in power sequences where it is appropriate and actually gives it flavour and sounds good (just singing in thease sequences would not give it enough power and depth of sound).
Hey Grobut I'm a BIG BIG Doom fan but mainly the more extreme type (DeathDoom/Funeral Doom). If you haven't already check out Disembowelment "transcendence into the peripheral". Utterly crushing and profound with huge amounts of mysticism and spiritual presence. They are masterful and almost single handedly created their own genre.

Upvote 0
Hey Grobut I'm a BIG BIG Doom fan but mainly the more extreme type (DeathDoom/Funeral Doom). If you haven't already check out Disembowelment "transcendence into the peripheral". Utterly crushing and profound with huge amounts of mysticism and spiritual presence. They are masterful and almost single handedly created their own genre.

Disembowelment eh? they have escaped my doom radar, but i'll be sure to check them out :)

Upvote 0
back among the living (or kinda like,my internet had problems)

on the point that Bullitt did once, that Trivium will never get sold out tours across the world is correct
Iron Maiden,Judas Priest,Metallica had hughe success with their music because they were new and nothing similar was before them, now that the scene has grown the competition gets harder and little underground bands have almost no chance to get known to a bigger part of the scene if it wasn

Upvote 0