• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Merc Report - Spring Into Field Improvements

Skirmisher needs to be slightly nerfed.
You've forgotten something important. Perks can't be nerfed anymore. I don't know why but for the last two years or so the only changes that have been made to perks have been buffs. If there is a nerf it's extremely minor and/or the only one in a group of 3+ other buffs. Similar but less strict trend with weapons as seen in this report.

As a RLLLR zerk(when I do play as one)... Yeesh. Zerk was already game-breakingly good and these buffs are going too far, IMO. Zerk was already nigh-immortal and I don't see the point of increasing his durability further. Like, it feels pointless. I guess I can afford to make even more mistakes now? I can pay even less attention to the game?

I get and agree on the concept of balancing perk skill choices but find it odd they are or have been prioritized over inter-perk balancing. Surely the latter will disrupt the former and require more work in the long run?

Upvote 0
Thank you for the zerker changes, Now after many years this dreadnought perk has a viable choice. 100 more HP on top of resistance gives a lot of potential extraHP. Will make boss encounters easier.

And its alright pick now, compared to glasscannon hit&run Skirmishers ( hp regen and mov speed ). It will allows zerks for wider gameplay patterns, those who preffer "take one for the team" and usage of heavier swinging weapons.

Medic change, I think it should be buffed slightly in the opposite way. Picking 25 more HP over 50% dmg resistance is not very good choice. Adding ( hp regen would make it more interesting choice, even 1hp per second + 25 more HP ). Resilience perk option offers a high risk high reward, and is still better choice from my pov

btw you might alter Zerker health replenish during ZED time ( Berserker Rage ), now with 200 max HP it will be way too strong. Revert it back to original value before buff. Also from my experience, when zeds "feared" away from you was much better than "immobilizing zeds". Since getting blocked as zerker in tight-room scenarios was worst feel to experience and this perk could save not only your life but others.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You've forgotten something important. Perks can't be nerfed anymore. I don't know why but for the last two years or so the only changes that have been made to perks have been buffs. If there is a nerf it's extremely minor and/or the only one in a group of 3+ other buffs. Similar but less strict trend with weapons as seen in this report.

As a RLLLR zerk(when I do play as one)... Yeesh. Zerk was already game-breakingly good and these buffs are going too far, IMO. Zerk was already nigh-immortal and I don't see the point of increasing his durability further. Like, it feels pointless. I guess I can afford to make even more mistakes now? I can pay even less attention to the game?

I get and agree on the concept of balancing perk skill choices but find it odd they are or have been prioritized over inter-perk balancing. Surely the latter will disrupt the former and require more work in the long run?
Well, a peculiar and implicit rule of thumb isn't truly a rule, is it? I've always been a strong advocate of "buff the weak instead of nerfing the strong" but my POV regarding the medic's polyvalence is now a running gag at that point. Anyhow, even though the official word about it is that after five years of updates, the game is now quite fragile and it's pretty much impossible to change something meaningful without having to rework a bunch of other things...But as I said numerous times before as well : stop wasting resources on weapons we don't want and instead use that last push to bring closure to the game. Better to inject one last sprint to secure victory than to keep a steady pace and lose in the long run. Call it "rebalancing" if "nerfing" is a taboo word. But just do something to make it so the medic isn't a mere walk in the park anymore.

Totally agreed on the zerk tho, which makes @Kazaanh's comment downright incomprehensible (no offense dude !) It's already a very tough perk, that becomes damn near unkillable if he's paired with a good medic. And the funny thing is that no matter how good those buffs are, it still seems less valuable than the damn Skirmisher perk ! I personally believe that an innate health regen is just too good to pass up. Again, call me crazy, but I believe Skirmisher should be nerfed rather than buffing Dreadnaught. Kazaanh is calling the perk a "hit'n'run glass cannon" with Skirmisher, but I believe it's the wrong way of looking at it. Regardless of the skill chosen, the zerk IS a hit'n'run perk. Because your main purpose is to strike a powerful blow without leaving the possibility to any zed to retaliate. It's parry ability and extra speed makes that very clear, but also it's main source of damage ( melee weapons : they obviously can't provide a steady flow of damage the way a flamethrower or SMG does. It's more akin to the sharp or demo => once you fired, you have to fallback slightly to "reload" and bring the pain again). As for being a glass cannon, it's the complete opposite : you can stay in the fight longer because your health keeps being regenerated. And assuming you picked the skill that allows you to heal on kill, you're actually even encouraged to be ballsy. That perk is a glass cannon under NO circumstances. He's certainly the tank of the team. Along with the SWAT and Medic to some extent.

Similarly (sorry @Kazaanh , it's really not about you !), giving HP regen to the medic... Have you lost your damn mind? The medic can already heal better and more often than all his teammates. He can also heal himself with his grenades and got better armor. He doesn't need to regen on top of that, or we might as well have a team full of medics at that point.

Upvote 0
What is the net effect of the changes to the freeze thrower? Is it a buff or a nerf? I seldom use alt-fire because of ammo consumption.

Oh you definitely should, it's the most damaging option ! I often choose to freeze trash zeds using the primary fire, and blast away the medium-to-big zeds with the alt one. I believe the best way is to actually freeze those medium zeds, then use the alt-fire to finish them off. But I still got the OP version in my head, so maybe it's a far less viable strategy idk.

But don't underestimate the alt-fire. Even more so since it's getting buffed.

Upvote 0
@Yoshiro
1.Where will season pass go on sale, steam store or in game store?
2.Will there be different prices in different countries?(High price zone and low price zone similar to Steam)

Working to find out more here, but regional pricing will be a part of the pass in some form.

Reactions: Hec0v0ules
Upvote 0
The QoL changes look good, I've been asking for that medic buff indicator forever so it's really good to finally see it in. I really wish the upcoming updates had more maps included though, if each update had like 3-5ish maps I feel I'd be way more inclined to reinstall the game and try out what the update has to offer. Community or dev made. I know spring time is usually the time for quality of life changes, but as a burnt out player with about 1k hours that's just how I feel

Last edited:
Upvote 0
WTF TRIPWIRE? buffing Zerks and medics?! These perks are already strong enough... While SWAT, SURVIVALIST and other perks really need buffing.. the sharpshooter could use a real buff. And who the **** would say that berserkers and medics need a buff?! You're doing what you guys want... Not giving a **** about what players want
And the sharpshooter buff is not really a buff.. you fixed an issue with the game..
This perk balancing is a complete bull**** .. tripwire treats its players like idiots.. that's why KF2 won't be going anywhere .. looks like the developers only listen to themselves
to be FAIR.. Berserker does kinda need a buff, I mean can you imagine going up against a Matriarch with a melee weapon as berserker cause he runs out of ammo so fast or abomination who can bite you once or twice with an INSTANT death? THINK NOT.. As stupid as it may sound that berserker needing a buff. Zerker is a COMPLETE joke against Bosses, I understand why nobody wants to play berserker during boss waves on Hell On Earth. But yes i agree that other perks need a more priority of buffing. But Berserker does need a buff as well. Hopefully they will fix the other perks later on down the road. (even though they should of had a buff now).

Upvote 0
to be FAIR.. Berserker does kinda need a buff, I mean can you imagine going up against a Matriarch with a melee weapon as berserker cause he runs out of ammo so fast or abomination who can bite you once or twice with an INSTANT death? THINK NOT.. As stupid as it may sound that berserker needing a buff. Zerker is a COMPLETE joke against Bosses, I understand why nobody wants to play berserker during boss waves on Hell On Earth. But yes i agree that other perks need a more priority of buffing. But Berserker does need a buff as well. Hopefully they will fix the other perks later on down the road. (even though they should of had a buff now).
How did you manage to write three times that the Zerk needs a buff in merely four lines of text?

Also no. He's arguably way better than he ever was in KF1 already. It's precisely because people like you expect every perk to be able to deal with everything that we're having streamlined perks that lacks flavor and uniqueness.

Upvote 0
How did you manage to write three times that the Zerk needs a buff in merely four lines of text?

Also no. He's arguably way better than he ever was in KF1 already. It's precisely because people like you expect every perk to be able to deal with everything that we're having streamlined perks that lacks flavor and uniqueness.
What do you mean by streamlined perks?

Upvote 0
What do you mean by streamlined perks?
That they end up being all the same thing. At first, every perk had a nemesis and something they truly couldn't do, making it harder if they were alone and/or didn't have the right teammates.

Now, any perk has so many tools in its arsenal that nothing feels like a threat anymore.

Upvote 0