• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Merc Report - Shock and Firewall

Hello Mercs,

The lab coats have been at it again so we are happy to share some information about new Horzine Research Group (HRG) experiments we feel you’ll enjoy bringing into the field.

First up, the HRG Scorcher. The team has modified this baby to shoot flares out downrange with significant impact and a lingering burn. Other pros? Your target (or that wall you hit because you missed your target...) will keep everything around it lit up for easy target acquisition by you and your team!

scorcher.png

Now for those looking for something a little more indirect you can try out the alt-fire which will have the flare break up in flight leaving a line of ground fire between you and the target. So get out there Firebugs, and blaze a trail!

The last thing the team has been working on comes from observing your fights with the Matriarch in the field and the weapons she has brought to bear against you. The lab coats weren’t about to let some “upstart” upstage them on weaponry, so enter the HRG Arc Generator for you Survivalists.

ArcGen.png

This baby packs an EMP punch that will chain between targets with a few fire mode options on how to get it there. A shorter range primary that will jump between targets close to you “at the speed of electricity”, or the alternative slower-moving charged blast to take that charge further downrange. Don’t worry, this ball of fun will also shock nearby Zeds until it makes contact with your target (have we mentioned it will help to stop aiming at those walls?)

Stay tuned as there are some brand new weapons heading to the field as well and we’ll be bringing you news on those in the coming days. And trust us, these aren’t miniature.

Last edited:
I work for Tripwire and run this stuff.
View all 245 featured items
The HRG system exists because we wanted to keep doing cross perk weapons, but the previous way they were done ended up with weapons that were near impossible to balance without one perk feeling OP with it, or the otherside feeling weak with it. With the HRG's we also have a chance to add in some new gameplay elements to make them stand out more.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is exciting stuff, for me. I think things have been implemented really well lately, and I'm so happy you guys have been issuing more updates. I recently got a bunch of my friends into the game and being able to show them the updates and say THIS is why i love the game and devs, because they still care- that feels really nice.

I guess i kinda agree that maybe the firebug has enough guns by now, but I bet from a design perspective, when you're trying to keep things interesting, the firebug has a perk theme with many options to explore for cool guns, whereas maybe a commando or support dont. Even though i desperately want new guns for them...

Reactions: missing_trigger
Upvote 0
This is exciting stuff, for me. I think things have been implemented really well lately, and I'm so happy you guys have been issuing more updates. I recently got a bunch of my friends into the game and being able to show them the updates and say THIS is why i love the game and devs, because they still care- that feels really nice.

I guess i kinda agree that maybe the firebug has enough guns by now, but I bet from a design perspective, when you're trying to keep things interesting, the firebug has a perk theme with many options to explore for cool guns, whereas maybe a commando or support dont. Even though i desperately want new guns for them...

I always wanted a SMART gun from Aliens for commando. Zed Eradicator Device from KF1 , was very close. Perhaps commando should switch to more heavy weapon types too. .50 caliber machine gun?

As for commando HRGs , I have no idea what could work for him. Perhaps some modified autoshotgun for commando huh

Reactions: Aleflippy
Upvote 0
I don't understand why they're introducing weapons to already OP perks!
Firebug is OP and Medic is so OP with his Incision and Hemoglobin weapons, along with SMG or rifles he's a killing machine!
a perk like SWAT needs more than it already has, it's weak and it even struggles with Medium zeds in some cases!
I'd understand the chaingun for the commando but he still has the stoner!
I don't get the mines for the medic though.. I think they should focus on other perks in the game

• Wow
Reactions: infntnub
Upvote 0
I'm not a fan of this futuristic sh..*censored*.
For me, it's better to add normal firearms, even if their characteristics are similar to the ones already in the game. Classic 7.62 AK-47 (and how it will look in gold ...), 12-gauge double-barreled sawed-off shotgun (as an additional weapon), Colt Python (aka beautiful).
The dude above suggested a great idea - SMG Suomi with an underbarrel flamethrower. I saw a photo of this miracle, it looks like it really existed.

Upvote 0
Meh... I really struggle to see what the Scorcher will bring compared to the Spitfire. It seems really gimmicky. And as others pointed out : a weapon for the firebug...AGAIN?! I believe the perk is one of the funniest to play with, but that's getting ridiculous.

I have a similar feeling for the Arc Gen, if the teslauncher proved anything is that these kind of weapons are often quite boring. We had enough with the MWG and Helios in my opinion, no need to go even further down this route.

Upvote 0
SWAT struggling with medium zeds? SMH. It's definately not the ideal perk for FP, but everything else is cake... It managed fine before the HRG nailgun came along and now with that in the arsenal it's even stronger for mowing down groups of zeds.

I think you should play around with the perk some more. I'm not a huge fan of it [I'd rather play mando], but SWAT does just fine too if that's what you're into.

Upvote 0
I don't understand why they're introducing weapons to already OP perks!
Firebug is OP and Medic is so OP with his Incision and Hemoglobin weapons, along with SMG or rifles he's a killing machine!
a perk like SWAT needs more than it already has, it's weak and it even struggles with Medium zeds in some cases!
I'd understand the chaingun for the commando but he still has the stoner!
I don't get the mines for the medic though.. I think they should focus on other perks in the game

Would not mind another weapon for SWAT that would be sweet :) but SWAT is weak ? common.. if I want to really survive with ease, i choose SWAT. Compared to commando SWAT is muuch easier to stay alive with.
Killing large zedz hard? You need to learn the clas before throwing comments like that m8 :) Maybe FP is abit more work than playing demo for eksample, but get alot of crowd from all angles with demo and you die :)

Upvote 0
Would not mind another weapon for SWAT that would be sweet :) but SWAT is weak ? common.. if I want to really survive with ease, i choose SWAT. Compared to commando SWAT is muuch easier to stay alive with.
Killing large zedz hard? You need to learn the clas before throwing comments like that m8 :) Maybe FP is abit more work than playing demo for eksample, but get alot of crowd from all angles with demo and you die :)
Try playing with SWAT on HOE solo in Catacombs/Power Core/The Desolation.. or maybe Volter Manor/Sanitarium, try to win as SWAT in the 3FP wave on Solo in one of these maps :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Try playing with SWAT on HOE solo in Catacombs/Power Core/The Desolation.. or maybe Volter Manor/Sanitarium, try to win as SWAT in the 3FP wave on Solo in one of these maps :)

Hehe, I get uR point. But. I personally stand much better chance to claim that victory with SWAT compared to using Commando, Firebug, or Demo. Demo will kill the FPs yes, but will struggle with other smaller crowd between loading RPGs or whatevers infront or behind you while dealing with FPs.
If you got the Krizz, by wave 7 maybe even the upgrade, the FPs are doable.

Though, its HoE, so you are not ment to make it each time either way :p

Upvote 0
Commando can be easier against these FPs because you can throw explosive grenades (5) at them along with the M16 grenades.. I once did it and didn't even get damaged by any of the 3FPs
while as SWAT I would have to put more effort into it
not to mention zed extensions and higher DPS damage of his assault rifles
BTW, I love playing with SWAT and it's my favorite perk in the game.. but I think it's missing something

Last edited:
Reactions: infntnub
Upvote 0
Yes, see your point. Actually I have found that survivalist can be very useful a while ago. On HoE wave 7 + it can be a team saver many time. I use quick reload of Demo and Support weapons. Then I use the support M4 and demos RPG. (also use the 40% extra explotion for perk) and top i off with medic nades to assisst medic. It is very fun. The reload speed of M4 is epic, and the RPG, you spit those rocket like bullets :p It really feels like 2 or 3 perks in one with the medic nades.

And when you come to the boss, sell the M4, upgrade the RPG to max and buy the P90. Full value and damage for money. RPG for boss, P90 for adds!

Upvote 0
I'm not a fan of this futuristic sh..*censored*.
For me, it's better to add normal firearms, even if their characteristics are similar to the ones already in the game. Classic 7.62 AK-47 (and how it will look in gold ...), 12-gauge double-barreled sawed-off shotgun (as an additional weapon), Colt Python (aka beautiful).
The dude above suggested a great idea - SMG Suomi with an underbarrel flamethrower. I saw a photo of this miracle, it looks like it really existed.
That it did.
It was field-tested during the later stages of the Continuation war. Up to 40 of them were made, only one remains now.

Upvote 0