• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Merc Report - Looking for Answers to Some Burning Questions

Kittenmittens

Tripwire Interactive Community Team
Staff member
Mercs,

Something sinister has brought the Barmwich Town to ruin. We should have known that any place ripe with dark horrors and unnatural mysteries would attract the attention of the zeds.

barmwichscreen09.jpg

We need you there to search the town and clear out the infestation. Be careful of the undying fires that have spread throughout the village. For no reason explained by any known science, they continue to burn, never seeming to dim. Perhaps you can use them to your advantage. Most of the larger buildings are not what they once were. Still intact but now threatened by the hordes of monsters. They are in varying stages of disarray with evidence of horrific events that took place.

barmwichscreen05.jpg

The town is full of dark paths and alleyways. We are unsure of where they all lead but have heard screams and unnerving noises that may be coming from under the town. What lies beneath this once bustling town center? Brave the shadows to explore every inch of this sunless place.

barmwichscreen16.jpg
We have found references to a great tree in the center of town, perhaps this is what led to the demise of the town or brought the zeds here. This tree may be tied to paranormal occurrences. We have uncovered the existence of arcane medallions tied to unfamiliar rituals. Obscure writings mention those that come into possession of all 6 medallions will be rewarded.

Barmwich Town is the latest Official Community map to be added to the game, created by community level designer Moon Glint.

First test missions to the “Barmwich Town” and the new weapons are expected to start in the coming weeks (subject to change as development continues) for PC mercs as an opt in beta.

> is the latest Official Community map to be added to the game

If that is read literally, it means that it's the last update to the game (as long as there are no plans to introduce original maps by TWI/Saber of which in recent years there has been only 1).

On one hand it's sad as there will be no new content besides the community made maps and mods (none of which were whitelisted though since 2018), but on another it's great, as the quality of the recent updates went so low I wished there was none as these updates just diluted the initial higher quality of the game, plus there will be no more broken mods if there are no new updates. Overall, I say it's great news.

Upvote 0
Personally I am happy that a game that is almost 8 years old is still updated, could the updates be better? yes, I would prefer to get new never seen maps made by tripwire but making community maps official isnt a bad thing either because not everyone plays the game on Steam to have super easy access to the community maps + console players dont have access at all to community maps.
Yes some steam users may think adding community maps officially to the game doesnt make any sense because they can just go download the map from steam workshop instead and yes they can do that but there is one major advantage with the community map being added officially, that being if all players have that map installed then it will be a lot easier to find people to play that map with.

Upvote 0

If that is read literally, it means that it's the last update to the game (as long as there are no plans to introduce original maps by TWI/Saber of which in recent years there has been only 1).

On one hand it's sad as there will be no new content besides the community made maps and mods (none of which were whitelisted though since 2018), but on another it's great, as the quality of the recent updates went so low I wished there was none as these updates just diluted the initial higher quality of the game, plus there will be no more broken mods if there are no new updates. Overall, I say it's great news.

Latest translates into, most recent as of yet.
Example: The new model of "x" product is the latest offering from "manufacturer name", to date.
I don't see how latest, translates into "last", at least in this case. It seems to be in reference to what is newest, to date, and not as to what is a final and last update.
The new update has the newest, and latest, weapons, and maps.
When a news/media company says "Lastest news on 'x' story", that means the newest information, as it has become available, and not the final word on the topic.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think I played that map ages ago, possibly very soon after KF2 launched... Is it that old? That will surely bring back memories! Back in the day though, I remember how much I disliked that map for being too cramped, especially the streets. But maybe I'm mistaking it for another altogether.

We'll see I suppose.

Also @o2xVc3UuXp0NyBihrUnu , I don't know where you come from, but I suppose it isn't an English-speaking country (and that's fine, me neither !). Indeed, "latest" means the most recent. What you're thinking of would be "last", which is not a synonym.

Reactions: Jhil2464
Upvote 0

In the U.S., when you call something the "latest" it means most recently. Another use of the term can be, "How have you been lately?" This is asking how someone has been doing recently. We have used that exact phrase in past Merc Reports in the exact same way. :) Indeed it is not going to be the last update or last map ever to be added. I hope this clears up the misunderstanding.

Upvote 0
In the U.S., when you call something the "latest" it means most recently. Another use of the term can be, "How have you been lately?" This is asking how someone has been doing recently. We have used that exact phrase in past Merc Reports in the exact same way. :) Indeed it is not going to be the last update or last map ever to be added. I hope this clears up the misunderstanding.
It means the same in UK English and US English, in fact. That guy was just plain wrong with his analysis of the word.

Upvote 0