• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Which Outbreak are you more excited for?

• Arachnophobia

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Scavenger

Votes: 26 83.9%

• Total voters

Merc Report - Have You Tried Kicking It?

Mercs,

This year continues to be full of strange new outbreaks to challenge your mettle and skill. The latest reports from the field are telling us that in one area, all the trader pods have broken and remain down. In another, well we hope you aren’t afraid of creepy crawlies; the crawlers seem to be leading a charge. Here is what we know:

scavenger.jpg

Outbreak Code Name: Scavenger
While the trader pods are still out there, and slightly functional, it appears that they are only armor and grenades. All weapons will have to be acquired in the field, but it has been reported that there is a higher rate of upper tiered weapons lying about in these areas that seem to mix well with the current party perk composition.

So mercs, get ready to scrounge like you’ve never had to do before, as your life may very well depend on it! It may also be helpful to make sure that the right perks grab the right weapons if you have the time and the pressure isn’t too much!

arachnophobia.jpg

Outbreak Code Name: Arachnophobia
Crawlers, crawlers everywhere, and while they aren’t alone, these ones seem to have been toughened up and take a bit more to put down. We know what you’re thinking... more gun, but may we suggest a good old fashioned stomp?

We are sending mercs into the field equipped with Boomsticks to help them rise above the situation and bring their heels into the thick of it. You’ll find that they aren’t just for killing floors with this outbreak.

As always mercs, keep an eye out for future reports as we dive into tools of the trade (weapons), new areas of operation (maps), and Field Improvements (QoL). And be sure to join the conversation about potential upcoming Outbreaks!

I work for Tripwire and run this stuff.
View all 254 featured items
Similarly to the last update : one outbreak got me excited and the other doesn't interest me in the slightest.

Obviously, I'm eager to see how Scavenger will play out. The idea has been thrown around these forums for quite a while now, and by many people. It's amazing to finally see it come to fruition. I personally wouldn't even have given the ability to purchase grenades or armor, but I guess it would hardly be a problem. And it will surely prevent griefing regarding ammo boxes and armor drops. So it's probably for the best.

Arachnophobia is way tamer. It's pretty much an old-fashioned mutator... Of which I'm not particularly against! But to make it a weekly rather than a game modifier of some sort is a bit annoying. I just hope the remaining four outbreaks won't just be "playthroughs with only one type of zeds!!" kind of deals.

Nonetheless, I'm wondering if we'll get a new boss... just like Poundemonium brought us the King Fleshpound.

If so, that might actually boost up my interest greatly.

Reactions: Brogs
Upvote 0
Nonetheless, I'm wondering if we'll get a new boss... just like Poundemonium brought us the King Fleshpound.

If so, that might actually boost up my interest greatly.

Same! Not that there's any canon background lore to this, but I'd love to see three of Kevin's secretary clones.
  • bodies about the same size as a stalker but with 8 long, shapelier legs and features similar to the crawler (ie, a female version of a slightly larger elite crawler),
  • black and shiny hardened exoskeletons with crimson details (black widow anyone?),
  • becomes naturally invisible as long as she is holding still,
  • at range, she spits orbs of poison that explode on contact (smokescreen+slow+poison DoT+bloat bile obscured vision),
  • at range, she throws crawlers at players,
  • she closes the distance with fast forward leaps but can also dodge to the side to avoid projectiles,
  • within melee, she smacks with a barrage of claw swipes and bites, greatly reducing players' accuracy, or a rare stab with venomous stingers,
  • her venom causes increasing slow and poison over time effects that go away if the player is healed, but will otherwise do 50% damage over time, even if fully armored,
  • with three of her, a cornered player is in big trouble,
  • she comes with a constant barrage of crawlers, elite crawlers, and stalkers to contend with,
  • because of this constant barrage, she doesn't have to seek out players; she can lie and wait to ambush,
  • she crawls on the floor similar to the standard crawler, to help her blend in with mobs of crawlers,
  • to further make it difficult, the spiked ends of her legs on her back (again, think crawler), are colored to look like half of a face, which she then pinches together to make it look like a whole face, and keeps them near her head, making it difficult to tell which head to aim at,
  • while always nimble (she can climb on walls), she becomes even more dexterous when her carapace is damaged,
  • she can duck in and out of vents, sewer holes, etc. and reappear behind a player for hit and run tactics,
  • her triplets work together: repairing, closing, and welding/webbing doors to separate players and close off exits,
  • her triplets work together: one will run around the corner where another is waiting, invisible, to attack with a devastating sting
This will all be in the Arachnophobia weekly, right @Yoshiro ? ;)

Reactions: congdanh20002
Upvote 0
Outbreak Code Name: Arachnophobia
Crawlers, crawlers everywhere, and while they aren’t alone, these ones seem to have been toughened up and take a bit more to put down. We know what you’re thinking... more gun, but may we suggest a good old fashioned stomp?

We are sending mercs into the field equipped with Boomsticks to help them rise above the situation and bring their heels into the thick of it. You’ll find that they aren’t just for killing floors with this outbreak.
Emphasis mine.

Would this be implying that the players are expected to kill the new Crawlers by using the Goomba Stomp mechanic? Oof.

Upvote 0