• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Merc Report - Big Heads and Bigger Booms

Good day Mercs,

The lab coats have been up to it again, and are crafting some “fine” (their word) new field options out of existing weapons platforms. So let’s take a look at what they’ve been up to!

headhunter.jpg

Sharpshooters, we know you love to "pop heads'' of any threats that look your way. Now you can do it literally with the new HRG Head Hunter. Featuring two fire modes, the first will fire a dart that on impact, to any body part, will swell up the size of a zed's head. These darts will stack multiple times for a nice big target that is now more than double the normal size. Isn't science fun? Now you've made that zed an easy target for you and your team, but that's not all. For a very satisfying head pop on those zeds with maximum stacks, use the alt fire to release a wave that travels in a sphere. When that wave reaches your targets, heads will burst!

Don't worry, if a zed doesn't have a maximum stack of darts the wave will stun them allowing you more time to make your next move. We know that sharpshooters need their space, R&D made sure to power up that wave to be long range.

crossboom.jpg

Demolitionists, we've added a new long range weapon to your arsenal as well. Channel your inner Rambo with our new explosive bolts to go along with this crossbow. This weapon also features two fire modes - the lab coats wanted us to say something about versatility being the spice of life but let’s not and you lot just tell them we did. Use the primary shot to fire an explosive bolt that impacts the target before a delay of about half a second and leading to the boom.

If you want a bigger boom, you can sacrifice some explosive damage and use the alt fire off a shot with a larger blast radius. Great for ridding your area of a horde of lowly Zeds. This is a highly accurate weapon with a fire rate the same as the Crossbow.

Keep an eye out next week as we plan to talk about additional arsenal additions and how to get them!

I work for Tripwire and run this stuff.
View all 254 featured items
The HRG head hunter should not exist. It’s a bad weapon that’s going to be a crutch, or overpowered. Nothing in between.

The HRG crossboom though? Could be interesting. I’m honestly kinda excited for it. I think it could be a good addition. I imagine combo-ing it with the Tommy Boom would be quite effective. This seems like it’s going to be a sort of competitor to the Seal Squeal, and I’m interested to see how it goes, to say the least.

Reactions: Alica [T.3.R]
Upvote 0
It didn't have to be that silly. It would have been great if you kept it to real world guns.
Would it be nice? Yes. But considering the skeleton crew (if we’re being generous) the game has right now, reusing older animations for the most part is their safest option - especially since they won’t be charging for the HRG weapons. At least when they charge for the DLC weapons, they could afford to put some new animations in. (Assuming they are of decent quality, which, admittedly isn’t always the case…)

Upvote 0
I can already tell that the Head Hunter will never be used simply because it's more of a tool than a main gun. This kind of utility-weapon doesn't seem to be favored a whole lot. It doesn't help that it really sounds ridiculous. I'm not exactly asking for ONLY real weapons like some gun-nuts over here. But I much prefered when your creations actually had some plausibility. The fine line seemed to be the Microwave Gun, which was already kinda far-fetched but at least was novel enough. Here... It's hard to take it seriously.

As for the Crossboom (what a name), I actually kinda dig it. It reminds me of the "Blambow" idea I had a whiiile back. But all things considered... is it really that different from the Seal Squeal??

As for @flashnoob ... I mean, the Vlad is barely more expensive and it does the job just as well.

Upvote 0
Serious question, though.

Between this and the...thing that was already spoiled via Steam Market...

Why the decision to put weekly game modes (that I usually intentionally avoid unless I'm doing them for the weekly reward) as incaps for basic survival game mode?

I really don't understand the point of this. Never have I looked at Sharpshooter's arsenal and thought "golly gee gosh I sure wish I had more useless meme weapons on the gitgud perk."

I play this game to click faces, and do it on progressively tougher waves. None of this head-stretching nonsense.

Upvote 0
they are great I always wanted to go aggressively with both weapons, reading, I saw something that could happen example: "Crossboom" could open to shoot 5 arrows at once, like a fan, like the demolitionist gun, and the "Head hunter" could do I use a giant bullet in the alternative shot, (that big hole where the bullet comes out, and it would be perfect for that big inflammation) I always wondered if the bullet exit is so big, why does it throw such thin darts? my perception. good morning docs!

Screenshot_20220415-135428~2.png

Upvote 0
I can already tell that the Head Hunter will never be used simply because it's more of a tool than a main gun. This kind of utility-weapon doesn't seem to be favored a whole lot. It doesn't help that it really sounds ridiculous. I'm not exactly asking for ONLY real weapons like some gun-nuts over here. But I much prefered when your creations actually had some plausibility. The fine line seemed to be the Microwave Gun, which was already kinda far-fetched but at least was novel enough. Here... It's hard to take it seriously.

As for the Crossboom (what a name), I actually kinda dig it. It reminds me of the "Blambow" idea I had a whiiile back. But all things considered... is it really that different from the Seal Squeal??

As for @flashnoob ... I mean, the Vlad is barely more expensive and it does the job just as well.
you just called the doctor a tool, the problem is that you still see the "head hunter" as a doctor, not as hrg.

Upvote 0
Why the decision to put weekly game modes (that I usually intentionally avoid unless I'm doing them for the weekly reward) as incaps for basic survival game mode?

I really don't understand the point of this.

I mean... Weeklies are pretty much the new form of "mutators" of the past. Those used to make the game harder (most of the time), and were played simply to break the mold or to have a little fun. "Poundamonium" servers were quite popular in the day, especially since you REALLY got Fleshpounds only, unlike the weird KF2 version.

Don't get me wrong, I rarely ever click on a weekly except if I haven't gotten the reward attached to it. But hey, nobody forces you to play them after all. Anybody remember the "Versus" game mode?

@AK12 : I really don't get what you were trying to tell me. Cool weapon ideas though. I dig the "duck foot crossbow" the most. Although it begs the question of its overall utility : the Sharpie is supposed to fire with pinpoint accuracy to pop the head of a tough zed from afar... In that regard, firing five arrows at once could be seen as a waste most of the time. And when it's not, for example when you fire into a crowd of zeds, wouldn't that be too OP if they keep the piercing effects of the regular Xbow? Then again, you could always make it a higher-tiered weapon I guess.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I mean... Weeklies are pretty much the new form of "mutators" of the past. Those used to make the game harder (most of the time), and were played simply to break the mold or to have a little fun. "Poundamonium" servers were quite popular in the day, especially since you REALLY got Fleshpounds only, unlike the weird KF2 version.

Don't get me wrong, I rarely ever click on a weekly except if I haven't gotten the reward attached to it. But hey, nobody forces you to play them after all. Anybody remember the "Versus" game mode?

@AK12 : I really don't get what you were trying to tell me. Cool weapon ideas though. I dig the "duck foot crossbow" the most. Although it begs the question of its overall utility : the Sharpie is supposed to fire with pinpoint accuracy to pop the head of a tough zed from afar... In that regard, firing five arrows at once could be seen as a waste most of them. And when it's not, for example when you fire into a crowd of zeds, wouldn't that be too OP if they keep the piercing effects of the regular Xbow? Then again, you could always make it a higher-tiered weapon I guess.

I understood, I remember the versus, it's sad not to see those servers anymore, I don't know if it's because KF is not the only Tripware game, and new games deserve excellent public exposure, however over the years KF 2 continues to receive updates , and it's exciting, I won't deny it, but remember that KF 1 doesn't get love anymore, because his cycle ended.

Upvote 0

My original post was more than a little flippant, so part of that's on my negative mindframe about this.

What I meant is that with these new weapons--the upcoming Shrink Ray, and now this head inflation thing--mechanics that would normally be reserved for weeklies (shrinking Zeds, big head mode, etc.) are being brought into the standard Survival game in the form of incaps.

Part of the appeal(?) of weeklies is that players can choose not to interact with them. But when stuff like this is introduced as a mechanic via equippable weapons that ostensibly anyone can buy--that other players are just going to have to live with...

Well, that's dumb, frankly. This game has already enough mechanics that make playing the game "annoying" to "miserable" and adding more of that nonsense is only going to further the casual/core and chaos/precision divides.

To put it another way, let's say TWI announced an HRG Microwave Gun that afflicted Zeds with a status ailment that caused them to explode a la Boom, causing damage to friends and foes alike. I don't think it would be unfair to call that a weapon designed to troll other players. I would categorize a shrink ray and such the exact same way.

Reactions: Aleflippy
Upvote 0
My original post was more than a little flippant, so part of that's on my negative mindframe about this.

What I meant is that with these new weapons--the upcoming Shrink Ray, and now this head inflation thing--mechanics that would normally be reserved for weeklies (shrinking Zeds, big head mode, etc.) are being brought into the standard Survival game in the form of incaps.

Part of the appeal(?) of weeklies is that players can choose not to interact with them. But when stuff like this is introduced as a mechanic via equippable weapons that ostensibly anyone can buy--that other players are just going to have to live with...

Well, that's dumb, frankly. This game has already enough mechanics that make playing the game "annoying" to "miserable" and adding more of that nonsense is only going to further the casual/core and chaos/precision divides.

To put it another way, let's say TWI announced an HRG Microwave Gun that afflicted Zeds with a status ailment that caused them to explode a la Boom, causing damage to friends and foes alike. I don't think it would be unfair to call that a weapon designed to troll other players. I would categorize a shrink ray and such the exact same way.
Fair enough, we actually fully agree on that ! I'm always against troll weapons if they troll anybody but the player using it. I'll probably never use the Doshinegun, but at least it's only done at your own expense (ha ha).

Personally, I'm mostly fed-up with joke weapons as a whole. I'm not against wacky weaponry : a shotgun that can fire freezing bullets? A goddamn minigun? A double-barreled shotgun that shoots explosive bullets? BRING IT ON !!

But a ray that grows the head of zeds is just going too far for me. It goes from B-movie flair to Z-movie trash.

Reactions: Alica [T.3.R]
Upvote 0