• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Merc Report - A Shopping List that Stuns

You can't say the C word at Tripwire, because Christmas updates have now become non-offending winter solstice updates since Yuletide Horrors.
This is the next map for KF2's non-offending Winter Solstice update.
Yeah. The C word is associated with some other word, which implies something that offends some people, as some recent events have proven.
Me referring to Christmas as "the C word" is me referring to how Christmas is dead at Tripwire since 2019
What a bizarre thing to go on about.

I mean, the 2020 update was literally called Christmas Crackdown, but go off:
Kf2_winter2020_update_header.jpg

@Kittenmittens has there been any discussion on possible further changes to Abandon All Hope, or is the dev team planning to leave it as is?

Reactions: Arcames
Upvote 0
Yep, nothing but whiners in the comments. Clearly a joke gun, every game has it at some point. Further points to Killing Floor having borderlands inspiration.
And here we have another example of someone who sees every criticism as whining. Do I have to point out once more that praising everything someone does isn't helping in any way whatsoever?

Besides, we've had wacky weaponry in the past : the beluga beat, the microwave gun, caulk'n'burn, the blunderbuss, the pulverizer, HRG vampire, Hemogoblin... You don't need to go brainless to have creative and fun weapon concepts. This ain't Saints Row.

Upvote 0

Kf2_winter2020_update_header.jpg

@Kittenmittens has there been any discussion on possible further changes to Abandon All Hope, or is the dev team planning to leave it as is?
Nothing has been decided, yet about AAH.

Upvote 0

That's obviously ingenuine, with an obvious counterargument which would compare previous christmas events (I won't even bother to do it) with that one which is in the name only with inevitable and obvious conclusions. You had no idea, had you? Of course you had, just for the sake of being contrarian here you completely disregarded that bulk of evidence of the christmas theme decline in updates making your comment ingenuine. This whole process, when applied to cultural and political phenomena, is typically referred as "hollowing", it gradually leaves just a shell with no meaningful content which is then replaced with content in format which is contradictory to the direction of the initial one.

No respect.

Reactions: flashn00b
Upvote 0
It was an admittedly flippant response to what I felt was a rather silly-on-its-face assertion/joke that Tripwire hates Christmas, or is trying to pretend Christmas doesn't exist, or a similar sentiment along those lines, since 2019. But now I have to bring nuance into it and ughhhhhh

Rather than assuming they're trying to dissociate themselves from Christmas or such as--which seems a bad faith argument, given their history of events from the last few years, plus the fact that they're still using Christmas Zeds and Christmas-based music--I'm pretty sure the actual issue, from a standpoint of how development has gone since 2018, is that it's just easier for the dev team to take their pick of preexisting assets done by the community and use that rather than dedicate the resources to making a new map from scratch (as we've seen by most of the maps from the past couple of years being community maps).

In other words, I'm taking it on good faith from precedent that they aren't trying to tiptoe around Christmas, and more that it's a matter of their time/money/effort/etc. being focused elsewhere, if you catch my drift. The game has suffered elsewhere and not just from this one particular annual event from change in direction.

Nothing has been decided, yet about AAH.
Fair enough. I was curious if there were plans to re-implement the spawnrage for the non-QP zeds. I get not needing it for Fleshpounds, but not having it for the rest of them does take some of the wind out of the mode's sails.

Upvote 0
Rather than assuming they're trying to dissociate themselves from Christmas or such as--which seems a bad faith argument, given their history of events from the last few years, plus the fact that they're still using Christmas Zeds and Christmas-based music--I'm pretty sure the actual issue, from a standpoint of how development has gone since 2018, is that it's just easier for the dev team to take their pick of preexisting assets done by the community and use that rather than dedicate the resources to making a new map from scratch (as we've seen by most of the maps from the past couple of years being community maps).

In other words, I'm taking it on good faith from precedent that they aren't trying to tiptoe around Christmas, and more that it's a matter of their time/money/effort/etc. being focused elsewhere, if you catch my drift. The game has suffered elsewhere and not just from this one particular annual event from change in direction.
Thing is, they've been sleeping on the community-made YuletideTown map which isn't made by TWI/Saber but still follows the Christmas thematic. There are probably other custom maps with the Christmas thematic that are worth adding, though I doubt TWI/Saber will ever poke their heads in that regard.

Upvote 0
There are probably other custom maps with the Christmas thematic that are worth adding.

Probably more than a dozen of decent christmas maps currently there are in the workshop. Including remakes of well-known maps, but in christmas setting. Including remakes of old ones (e.g. Thrills and Chills).

Search for keyword "christmas" and filtered by maps gives 26 results.

Upvote 0
Probably more than a dozen of decent christmas maps currently there are in the workshop. Including remakes of well-known maps, but in christmas setting. Including remakes of old ones (e.g. Thrills and Chills).

Search for keyword "christmas" and filtered by maps gives 26 results.
They typically seem to go with contest winners when it comes to community maps, which narrows things down quite a bit. It's kind of the point of the map making contests. Follow the rules, enter your map, and it might be added to the game officially if it does well in the contest.

A machine gun that shoots dosh? Been there, done that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
They typically seem to go with contest winners when it comes to community maps, which narrows things down quite a bit. It's kind of the point of the map making contests. Follow the rules, enter your map, and it might be added to the game officially if it does well in the contest.

A machine gun that shoots dosh? Been there, done that.
Oh I had forgotten you had modded this! We were definitely aware that we are not the first to weaponize dosh. The idea has definitely been around since KF1. Community for sure inspired us.

Upvote 0
It's pretty outlandish vs things like medic weapons which have glowy bits to identify them as medic weapon, the darts bend because it was an utter headache in the previous game. either way they and the ion thruster and compound are technological weapons they have some basis in within the artstyle and game world, (though even tech weapons can go a bit far into outlandish themeing like the gravity imploder being space age tech). The Frost Fang on the other hand is a viking shotgun axe with ice magic coursing along it's blade and grip, if it had been a scrappily welded together lever action that shot ice rounds I wouldn't have cared but it looks like something out of Warhammer. The Doshine gun with fast target scope is even worse it's a gaudy looking gold and marble LMG that has a mechanic that is objectively ridiculous and detracts from the tone beyond just visuals.
The medic guns are getting a buff, but to be honest it is more the gun variety that is disappointing. Every other class has 2 types of weapons, but the medic class only has one (SMGs).

Upvote 0