• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Melee fights

I can't help but imagine the looks on the faces of the neighbors of RO palyers. Seeing men jump up and down while trying to reload a bolt action, diving while trying to aim down the sights and many other shinanagins that i and many others have done.

I don't really care if someone jumps while reloading, like REZ said, it's pointless and dosn't help much. Really it's worse for them to do that, all i have to do is stab them in the legs and when they land, hey, they're stuck there limping around.

Upvote 0
As has been said before, jumping should be limited to ONLY when you are moving forward at a sprinting pace

..but then the only thing you could do is dive. People can jump in any direction irl, we just lack proper animations for it to look right in game. I think the parameters in regards to jumping are fine as is, but I always wanted for more varied player movement animations and corresponding control.. who knows maybe with the UE3 technology we might see greater breadth and flexibility.

Upvote 0
To be honest, I doubt such basic game mechanics are going to be changed at this point, but perhaps a more ideal solution would be to simply lock the player's view to the weapon (that is, look down at weapon) while reloading. This will make running around while reloading or in close quarters with the enemy inpractical.

Upvote 0
It should be almost like the Mod, where you could bash and stabb although while reloading, that's quite realistic, because if enemy is close, at once you will stop reloading and bash the hell out of him.
Sadly this feature is away...and bit realism is gone.
Btw if you lament about jumping in combat, well better lament about the brashness that you can't get over the sandbags which may have the height of 1,50m, easily you should get over, but instead it's like a blocking volume.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you touch the movement it may get really tedious, Im thinking about Operation Flashpoint/Armed assault , where the movements are so "realistic" that it seems that you are not controlling your character, but he carries you arround instead... Back in the times of the mod, I remember that RO wasnt supposed to be a fully realistic game, It had to be realistic but easy and fun at the same time, I'm all for keeping the balance, but there are a lot of people that would like to go to the extremes.

but its anyoing to see hip shoters straf around on the battlefield like rambo ...

Upvote 0
Hell, I love it if someone tries to jump during melee situations... it equals immediate death for them.

No jumping while reloading sounds reasonable but rather pointless to be honest. Jumping in this game accomplishes nothing. It rarely even helps you to get over obstacles (use dive to get over or onto higher objects). So I dont see why the time needed to do this should be taken for it. Non-issue.

No movement at all while reloading? No F-in way. You should absolutely be able to move while reloading.

I totaly agree with what you are saying... It indeed sounds a bit pointless

Upvote 0
Ive seen bunny hopping on a 5clan server. 2 guys with (5)in front of their name thought RO was CS and bunny hopped as I shot. The funny thing is the range was far enough away both times that a 3 round STG burst for the head caught them in the head and chest and they flipped over backwards, one complete 270 degree bellyflop, the other a 180 and landed on the remnants of his melon. about the funniest thing I ever seen in RO. Except for the time a russian tried dolphin diving into a crater just as arty went off under him.

Upvote 0
something has to be done cause of that "strafing" as well.
I agree with that. For one thing, it would be nice if there as a delay when changing direction while sprinting, to put down zig zaggers taking advantage of lag. Also, something to greatly reduce accuracy while strafing is in order. It could be as simple as increasing the recoil effect while moving sideways.
Also, the bayonet range seems a bit short.

Upvote 0
While a lot of these ideas sound great at first, I think an easier solution would be that you can interrupt the loading animation by using your bayonet, but that the animation would simply start over again.

Bolting is actually a little slower from hipped mode than from iron sights, so I don't see bolting as the issue.

The real problem here is NOT with the guy who's jumping around, strafing, etc. It's a problem inherent to video games -- namely that melee combat cannot be accurately reproduced.

In real life, I can move my arms across my body to stab somone without having to turn completely. I can also turn my head and torso independently of one another. Video games don't allow for that generally. Those that do have typically been focused around giant, slow-moving robots (IE: Mechwarrior) rather than nimble humans.

Put simply, melee combat is HIGHLY nuanced. ANY system that seeks to replicate it in a video game will necessarily be flawed or so complex as to render it unplayable.

In RO, the major problems with Melee are:

- Your view is locked forward and you lack peripheral vision.

- Your entire body moves as if the spinal column has been fused together -- no neck or torso independent motion.

- With the exception of some of the free-aim system, none of your arm movements deviate from where you are looking (straight ahead). In other words, you can't cross your arms over your body to do anything towards the sides.

- You have to perform complete animations and your movement is limited to those specific animation. Look, if I'm reloading a rifle with a bayonet already fixed, and Joe Enemy comes running around the corner, I'm not gonna keep loading the stripper clip -- I'm going to gut him like a fish with my bayonet, to the best of my abilities, even if the clip is still poking out of the chamber and only 3 rounds are loaded. That CAN'T happen in RO, due to the animation system.

All of this is (imperfectly) represented by things like strafing. Strafing isn't LITERALLY about sidestepping. Strafing REPRESENTS things you can do in real life that you can't do in a game like this -- like running forward while shooting to the side (which you'd normally do by crossing the rifle over your body to shoot to the left if that's where you saw an enemy, for example).

The system does get abused, but it's the best we've got and mucking around with it will only produce DIFFERENT frustrating situations rather than a BETTER system.

Think about it. Let's say we limit your speed while reloading. Now assume you're charging across an open field, reloading as you go (you already can't sprint, by the way), but you hit the reload key. Oops! Now you have to slow to a crawl while you reload.

Or let's say the game is changed so that you can't jump or strafe while bolting. Anyone wanna time how long it takes after this change for people to start complaining about "SMG whoring pwnzored me! No fair!"?? I give it 0.03 seconds after the change goes live.

Leave the system alone. I don't like it anymore than the rest of folks out there when I try to stab someone, but jeez, melee combat isn't ever gonna be perfect.

FPS games are best designed for the "S" part -- shooting. Shooting can easily be recreated on a computer. Melee combat? No way, man. WAY too complicated to be done with any level of realism whatsoever. The game's found a "good enough" balance in its melee combat, I'd say, and mucking around with it further is only going to cause problems.

Upvote 0
Well I agree in this regard, although it will end those instances where a killing blow to the head becomes a killing blow to the genitals instead.

But it is very frustrating, and I support this suggestion. If I had it my way there would be no jumping whatsoever, only mantling.

no- jumping, only mantling = word....

Its simple:
We should be able to fight unarmed....

Running around with nade .. its just.... well... Not the way to die....

Upvote 0
well dark messiah has a pretty nice melee system, so it can be done, but to keep it playable it will never be more then the basics.
hell, if it ever would be possible, i'd turn in on a charging enemy with bayonet, grab him by the arm, use a judo flip to get him on the ground and then beat him with my helmet till he dies :p how would that look from the receiving side?:cool:

Upvote 0
Your best bet is a Wii title, then, and even then, it won't really work because footwork and body positioning won't be tracked by the game.

The way I see it, people would need, like, VR suits to make a worthwhile fighting game, in which case, you might as well just go take up Kendo (or whatever form you choose).

Upvote 0