• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Melee fights

smellyelly

Aug 4, 2006
In melee fights it happens all the time when i go for the bayo and they go for the hip shot, it often misses the first time but after that they run around and start jumping about while reloading, i know there is not much you can do about this... but mabye you should not be able to jump when realoading a bolt action, and not strafe side to side either.
Melee fights add intensity to the fight and they are ruined by people taking countless hip shots while running away and jumping around.

True! Think about it try to reload a gun while jumping around violently especially with the barrel type of ammuntion "canister" which were suppose to be difficult to reload (ppsh-41,ppd-40). I would also like to c the weapon switching slowed a bit.
There are countless times Ive charged an enemy solider throwing a grenade (or about to) and before I can stab him he switches to smg and kills me when Im inches away.
I just tried this in my backyard.... You can easily hop around and bolt. It's a bit clumsy, but it works.

Try it with me charging you with a bayonet you wont be able to bolt in time or look at ur bolt for that matter so instead you would try to knife me with ur gun but bolting is easier than reloading and may be possiable.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I just tried this in my backyard.... You can easily hop around and bolt
I presumed we are talking about reloading a clip not chambering a round by actioning the bolt (or whatever the correct phrase is)
In RO you can jump,crouch go prone and back again while reloading-which doesn't seem right.
I dont like to see jumping in RO if im being honest.

Upvote 0
maybe a good idea is to slow down the reloading while moving, and stop it while jumping
Agreed 1st point but do you mean the reload is unsuccessful if you do jump? Maybe you fumble the clip? If so I like that.
So: try to reload while mid air- can't
try to jump while reloading- drop the clip.
Better than blocking jump while in re-load i guess ( even though as i said i dont really like jumping about- looks silly)

Upvote 0
I can jump without droping the clip

an option could be to do a point of interruption in the reload right between when you remove the old clip and you put the new one, depending on the weapon it could have more interruption points.

you can jump during the first part cause the removal of the clip is easy, but if you jump while the second part, it will be interrupted and restarted from that point

Upvote 0
something has to be done cause of that "strafing" as well. I think this featuer is totally overdone and overused, if we go for "realistic" combat. Not that strafing isnt possible, but i mean in combination with shoting, realoading, jumping and any other "actions" you do in game and would do while a fight. Strafing should be slower, while firing for example. Im not sure really how to make the movement feel more "natural" but i think there should be something done.

Upvote 0
I can jump without droping the clip

an option could be to do a point of interruption in the reload right between when you remove the old clip and you put the new one, depending on the weapon it could have more interruption points.

you can jump during the first part cause the removal of the clip is easy, but if you jump while the second part, it will be interrupted and restarted from that point

I don't think the reloading system in RO needs to be that complicated.

Upvote 0
Yeah it's a good balance, I can reload a Mauser a lot faster than my character in game but then again I am not in the middle of a fire fight when I am doing it lol.

I think not being able to reload, as in insert your charger/magazine and cock your weapon while jumping can only be a good thing. But you should be able to bolt a rifle while jumping, it isn't THAT hard.

You also shouldn't be able to reload while moving in prone as well.

Upvote 0
something has to be done cause of that "strafing" as well. I think this featuer is totally overdone and overused, if we go for "realistic" combat. Not that strafing isnt possible, but i mean in combination with shoting, realoading, jumping and any other "actions" you do in game and would do while a fight. Strafing should be slower, while firing for example. Im not sure really how to make the movement feel more "natural" but i think there should be something done.

If you touch the movement it may get really tedious, Im thinking about Operation Flashpoint/Armed assault , where the movements are so "realistic" that it seems that you are not controlling your character, but he carries you arround instead... Back in the times of the mod, I remember that RO wasnt supposed to be a fully realistic game, It had to be realistic but easy and fun at the same time, I'm all for keeping the balance, but there are a lot of people that would like to go to the extremes.

Upvote 0
Hell, I love it if someone tries to jump during melee situations... it equals immediate death for them.

No jumping while reloading sounds reasonable but rather pointless to be honest. Jumping in this game accomplishes nothing. It rarely even helps you to get over obstacles (use dive to get over or onto higher objects). So I dont see why the time needed to do this should be taken for it. Non-issue.

No movement at all while reloading? No F-in way. You should absolutely be able to move while reloading.

Upvote 0