• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Medieval II: Total War

PNV

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 21, 2006
The Peninsula
To be honest with you guys, this game looks awesome. Rome: Total War was pretty good, but now it just gets better. We have religion and the pope, the Crusades, more in-depth strategy, improved battles, more playable factions...the list goes on and on. And to think of the mods that will be created :D

Anyone else looking forward to this as much as I am?

I have no clue as to who I would play as. Germans are only good during the ww2 age. mmmm....British....no.....Do the scandanavians have a faction? I'd probably go with them, if not, Italians of some sort might work for me, maybe I'll just have to see who has what units and pick the one that fits my style.

England or a Muslim faction is the best start out as. Like El_Cid pointed out, being a Catholic nation has its disadvantages, if you attack a fellow Catholic faction you will be excommunicated and vulnerable to your neighbors. But as England thats not a problem because you have the English channel as a nice barrier.

And as a Muslim state you are pretty freaking strong from the get go, you also don't have to worry about a Pope telling you what to do all the time.

/edit I also can't wait to explore the New World with my armies. Would make an interesting twist if England conquered South America instead of Spain and Portugal.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What would be a good faction for good calvary, good archers, and either good pikemen or good medium infantry. The way I battle is I make a line of pikemen even a octagon if I'm fighting a large number of calvary so I can prevent flanking. Behind th pikemen or within the octagon I place my archers, I like to have 3-4 or more groups of archers. Sometimes I'll buy mercs and I'll put them on the end of my combat line. Then I take my calvary and put them on the end of my line about 200 yards away from my troops. When the enemy army marches my archers fire upon, they start to take heavy loses and their moral sinks. Then they rush straight at my pikemen but the pikes keep them at range and my archers can still hit them. If the enemy doesn't pull back or if they break through to hand to hand combat with my pikemen I use my fast light mercs on the end of the line to swarm out and flank the enemy that are engaging my pikemen, this traps the enemy and really screws em good. Then if any calvary try to flank me, or if any enemy archers get seperated from combat troops and are hurting my pikemen I send in the calvary! It works all the time in Rome TW. If I can find a similar selection of units I'll be happy.

Upvote 0